PDA

View Full Version : Woman Falls off Pier While Texting

Pages : [1] 2

Fridge_Break
03-22-2012, 02:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/us/2012/03/22/dnt-mi-texter-off-pier.wbnd

:duh: :duh: :duh:

I don't have sound on my work computer, so I can't hear what's said in the video, but I just wanted to share this here. This is from my hometown and I heard from people on Facebook about a woman falling off as she was finger pumping, I was surprised to see the story make it all the way to CNN.

I've walked up and down that pier hundreds of times over the years, sat at the end of it to watch sunsets, been pier jumping off of it several times... I've texted while walking on it :shuffle: There is a section once there's no guard rails where there is a shift in the concrete, and I figured she had fallen off there, but I didn't see anything in the video that indicated that. Again, I don't have sound, so perhaps that is what happened, but from the looks of it, she just kind of toppled right over.

I can't imagine how cold the lake was. :cold: I remember late-May/early-June last year the water temperature was still in the mid-50's or so.

Rex
03-22-2012, 03:26 PM
If I have to text whilst in transit, I have learned to STOP and get out of people's way so I can respond. It's becoming increasingly risky to text and walk at the same time. I've been bumped into more than once, and have bumped into someone once while I was texting - so that was my lesson right there.

Garden Kitty
03-22-2012, 03:33 PM
At least she didn't knock someone else in while she walked around the pier oblivious to her surroundings.

caseyedwards
03-22-2012, 05:05 PM
y r ppl so stpd w txtg

Rob
03-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Where is the pier?

Fridge_Break
03-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Where is the pier?

Silver Beach in St. Joseph, Michigan.

PDilemma
03-22-2012, 05:58 PM
My sister-in-law will so do something stupid like that eventually. That is if she doesn't kill herself texting while driving first.

Fridge_Break
03-22-2012, 06:02 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/03/22/exp-point-walking-texting.cnn

Another video, this time with CNN anchors talking about it. I can't wait to watch these with sound when I get home.

DarrellH
03-22-2012, 06:21 PM
y r ppl so stpd w txtg

:rofl:

FunnyBut
03-22-2012, 06:46 PM
:lol: but I must give her credit for giving the interview afterward, rather than going to hide under a rock.

Artemis@BC
03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
My sister-in-law will so do something stupid like that eventually. That is if she doesn't kill herself texting while driving first.

That's my brother too. I sent him this photo ... but for some reason he didn't think it was funny.

http://kimberking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Honk-if-you-love-Jesus-300x225.jpg

:P

AragornElessar
03-22-2012, 08:23 PM
To everyone else it's a nuisance, but when you're a part of those who need to use a white cane, this goes beyond a nuisance. I've lost count over the last five years how many times someone's gone flying over my cane due to them needing to get that oh so important text off while walking at the same time. I still do have enough vision central wise that I what I see, I do see really well, so if I do see these people coming I sometimes have a chance to yell out a "Heads Up!!", but even then I'm not heard just because they're so into their conversation and then...I'm the one who gets yelled at for not "Watching where I put my stick."

And then there's my personal favourite experience at Skate Canada 09 in Kitchener-Waterloo. I wasn't even walking, but in a line up to meet Cynthia Phaneuf and here comes this lady on a direct bee line in my direction texting up a storm. I called out a warning, others around me who realized what could happen called out a warning and she never heard any of us. Sure enough, trips over my cane and goes flying. Which was quickly followed by an angry lady who snaps at me, "You really need to watch where you're putting your stick you know. You're going to really hurt someone some day.", then flounced off while, you guessed it, getting back to her texting.

Everyone there just let out this gasp of disbelief or "I can't believe that just happened." I basically told them, "Welcome to my World, as that is happening more and more to me every year." Depending on the force of impact, the bottom half of the cane can get bent and, while that doesn't sound like a big deal to you guys, it actually is as it throws off the feel of the cane to the user.

I do bless my lucky stars though that's the worst that's happened to me. A good friend of mine ended up w/a broken wrist thanks to a texter encounter. I actually heard enrollment to Guide Dog schools are on the upswing. When asked why the increase in numbers, the number one answer is people texting. The visually impaired/blind person feeling they can't handle getting yelled at and the cane broken due to nothing they did and deciding to get the Service Dog just because their life has become so frustrating.

And all because of something so incredably stupid!! In fact, two teens have been killed in Southern Ontario over the last few weeks just because they were texting, didn't hear the train coming and...

I mean, is texting just so important people have decided to risk their own personal safety when out and about? I've never gotten this entire texting thing to begin w/, but for it to have turned into something where stories such as this lady and those kids are now common place is something that I *really* don't get. :(

FigureSpins
03-23-2012, 06:09 AM
I don't understand your story: do you use the cane to assist your vision or provide physical support?

If you were standing still in a line and saw the peabrain about to walk in front of you, why didn't you just pick up the cane so she wouldn't trip? While people with more serious impairments couldn't have anticipated it, you could have in this situation. You've said that it's an important tool that you need to protect. Maybe your training was different, but it does sound like you intentionally allowed her to trip by having your cane out when she ignored the warnings.

Yes, she shouldn't have been lost in textworld, but you could have saved yourself aggravation simply by picking up the cane.

Angelskates
03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Aragorn, I've worked with the blind and visually impaired community for more than a decade and my mum has a guide dog, though she uses a cane at time, and my sister a cane. I've never known anyone have their cane bent, let alone broken. The only damage my sister ever did to her cane was once when I accidentally ran over it with my car!! Long story, no one was hurt. My sister can not see at all, and my mum although legally blind, can see a small amount; she occasionally lifts her cane out the the way of people (some of them probably texting), kids who get too close etc. The training my mum and my sister had, as well as my own orientation training for those with vision impairment, encouraged standing still and lifting the cane at times. It's not just the non-impaired party who is responsible, it's both parties. Common sense and courtesy say, IMO, that if you can prevent someone from tripping over your cane, you should do it. I've been taught to teach, and my sister and mum learnt, that when standing still (like in a line) the cane should be upright, parallel to the body to avoid anyone falling. You're not moving, so there's no need to have the cane out in front, or moving.

Texting while doing something is part of life, as is moving out of the way, but face it, we all get distracted sometimes. I walk into people because I'm daydreaming, because I'm in a rush, because I live in a crowded city, and because I sometimes stop to get something (sometimes my phone) out of my bag. It happens, I apologise and move on. I feel for those who dwell on things like this.

Garden Kitty
03-23-2012, 03:38 PM
That is if she doesn't kill herself texting while driving first.

Or someone else