PDA

View Full Version : Shuttlebus at Worlds 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

flowerpower
03-28-2012, 04:17 AM
In major US cities, every half-hour would be considered infrequently. It's not uncommon for buses to run every 5-10 minutes during peak times.

That's true in Canada as well, but London is not a major city. ;)

Not sure whether it's because attendance at skating events tends to be quite high in Canada (so there isn't a need to cater to fans by providing transportation to the site), or whether the precedent has simply never been set at an event here, but I've never seen shuttles for fans at skating events in Canada. Never missed them either.

Having said all that, there's no harm in asking Worlds' organizers about it.

nubka
03-28-2012, 04:20 AM
If that doesn't suit you, I'm sure the front desk of your hotel would be pleased to call a cab for you. I'm not sure why a specially arranged cab-stand would be necessary? What more would that accomplish than just calling a cab as normal?

When you call a cab, you have to wait for it to get there (which sometimes can be quick, and sometimes isn't.) With a cab stand, there would be a better chance of having it waiting when you want it, plus there might be others waiting outside that would be willing to share the cab to the arena, so everyone saves money. :)

AJ Skatefan
03-28-2012, 04:36 AM
When you call a cab, you have to wait for it to get there (which sometimes can be quick, and sometimes isn't.) With a cab stand, there would be a better chance of having it waiting when you want it, plus there might be others waiting outside that would be willing to share the cab to the arena, so everyone saves money. :)

At any skating event I've been to there have been cabs lined up at the hotels and lined up at the arena afterward.

nubka
03-28-2012, 04:41 AM
At any skating event I've been to there have been cabs lined up at the hotels and lined up at the arena afterward.

After the event, yes. At the hotel, I think it would depend on where you are staying. :)

overedge
03-28-2012, 05:12 AM
That's true in Canada as well, but London is not a major city. ;)

And the bus is running from a suburban area. I have been in a number of large American cities where buses in many of the suburbs only ran every half-hour, if that.

Parsley Sage
03-28-2012, 12:29 PM
And the bus is running from a suburban area. I have been in a number of large American cities where buses in many of the suburbs only ran every half-hour, if that.

White Oaks Mall is basically on the outskirts of town.

Rafter
03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I think that's very infrequent for a busy city.

So do I, but London isn't a busy city.

TanithandBenFan
03-28-2012, 02:54 PM
So do I, but London isn't a busy city.

Then I'm not sure why it was the best choice for Worlds.

Johnny_Fever
03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
No, you can't ride the shuttle that the skaters take. You're on your own. :)Too bad. My mom was great at finagling things like that. We've shared rides with competitors at Nationals and a few Skate Americas, but never a Worlds.

CoyoteChris
03-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Too bad. My mom was great at finagling things like that. We've shared rides with competitors at Nationals and a few Skate Americas, but never a Worlds.

This is one of those things you never know about....each event is different.
Many times the competitiors/coaches will ride the fan busses if it is more convenient to them.....

London will be interesting as there are no huge hotels downtown and I think IIRC the two main event hotels dont have enough rooms for all the skaters, coaches, officials, TV folk from around the world, etc. In fact, I have to wonder if the Hilton, the Delta , the Holiday inn, and Marriott have enough rooms for all these folk. The ladies short in LA 2009 had 53 competitors.
The Residence inn by Marriott down town London has 116 suites including 23 studio, 58 one-bedroom and 35 two-bedroom suites. Anyone know how many competitiors, coaches, support staff, judges, officials, and media attend the worlds?

victorskid
03-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Anyone know how many competitiors, coaches, support staff, judges, officials, and media attend the worlds?

Since Worlds 2012 is currently underway in Nice, you could get a fair idea of the number of competitors (including preliminary rounds + main competition) and judges from checking that event out! Here's a link to the schedule/entries/results page for you: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/

On average, I would guess you could count on at least 1 coach/choreographer per competitor or team. There are, of course, coaches who "multi-task" and competitors who have more than one with them in the "kiss & cry". Most, if not all, of the federations would have officials representing them. Sometimes they also bring along medical personnel.

Worlds 2013, being a pre-Olympic Worlds, may generate more than the usual press interest.

Now back to Nice....

CoyoteChris
03-30-2012, 05:16 AM
Since Worlds 2012 is currently underway in Nice, you could get a fair idea of the number of competitors (including preliminary rounds + main competition) and judges from checking that event out! Here's a link to the schedule/entries/results page for you: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/

On average, I would guess you could count on at least 1 coach/choreographer per competitor or team. There are, of course, coaches who "multi-task" and competitors who have more than one with them in the "kiss & cry". Most, if not all, of the federations would have officials representing them. Sometimes they also bring along medical personnel.

Worlds 2013, being a pre-Olympic Worlds, may generate more than the usual press interest.

Now back to Nice....

Doesnt look like many fans showed up to Nice....place was 3/4 empty for pairs short.....I still cant get a handle on how many inside folk show up for worlds. Sure, is easy to count the competitiors....coaches are a bit tougher as they have multiple skaters but we can take a guess....Judges and officials wouldnt be too tough but the various federation memebers and ISU officials could be tough to guess. Press members, photogs , camera folk, etc could be a tough guess too. Anyway, I hope Shizuka Arakawa stays at the Quality inn....I want to appologize to her for stareing at her at Worlds 2009.:lol:

manhn
03-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Then I'm not sure why it was the best choice for Worlds.

Because it has a lights show!

4rkidz
03-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Because it has a lights show!

:rofl: