PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Top 10 (Billy Joel Night with P. Diddy As Mentor, Of Course)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

Cyn
03-22-2012, 02:18 AM
I missed tonight's show :wall:.

From the posts here, it seems

Erika sang "New York State of Mind"
Hollie sang "Honesty"
Philip Squared sang "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)"
Jessica sang "Everybody Needs A Dream"
DeAndre sang "Only The Good Die Young"
Heejun sang "My Life"
Colton sang "Piano Man"
Joshua sang "She's Got a Way About Her"
Skylar sang "Shameless"
Elise sang "Vienna"

I nominate 'Uptown Girl' for the worst, which hopefully no one is singing.

That song is nails-on-a-chalkboard kinds of bad :yikes:.

I much preferred Billy Joel's music when he was all sad and depressed. Piano Man, Turnstiles, The Stranger (IMO the best of the bunch), and 52nd Street, along with the live album Songs in the Attic are his best albums.

Erika with a brand new do rocking "New York State of Mind." I really like her voice.

I'll never forget Kimberly Locke's version of NYSOM in Season Two - it gave me goosebumps (and not those damned "goosies" that Jennifer Lopez is always nattering on about :rolleyes: :blah: )

I'm not sure why, and I feel a bit guilty for it, but I hate everything about Skylar.

To say I'm no fan of country music is a gross understatement :lol:, but Skylar is talented. What bugs me about her more than anything is that her hair style and clothing is like something right out of Loretta Lynn's Crisco Commercial ads from the '70s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPhlOVtUD8) :rofl: :yikes:

LuckyCharm
03-22-2012, 02:24 AM
Joshua-She's Got a Way About Her
Skylar-Shameless
Elise-Vienna

taf2002
03-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Re Jessica:

Ugh Diddy... not liking this advice at all for her... I hope she doesn't undersing it...

Nope, she oversang it anyway IMO. Plus it's a really boring song. She makes my worst list, in this order:

1. Joshua - :scream: there was actually nothing about this that I liked, the song, the clothes, the delivery, nothing
2. Deandre - sounded a little better but the head tossing is ridiculous
3. Hee Jun - this guy is no better than medium kareoke but he's kind of funny & his performance was a big F U to the judges which kept him out of my 1st place
4. Elise - I like her but this didn't work for me at all
5. Jessica / Hollie - both oversang their songs, both were boring, Jessica dressed better, Hollie should have worn a mini

I liked:

1. Phil / Erika - both picked great songs for themselves, both did great IMO
3. Skylar - not her best but still pretty good
4. Colton - he strikes me as a little pretentious & I didn't like some of his note choices, esp the one Diddy had him change, but better than most people tonight.

I like a lot of Billy Joel's songbook. I associate a lot of memories with those songs. It's too bad these kids weren't more familiar with them because most of them didn't make good selections for themselves.

Smiley0884
03-22-2012, 03:35 AM
I don't care what anyone says I loved Heejun's F U to the judges, and he is no where near Sanjaya's level of :scream:

I thought it was an overall good night, and people are being a bit too harsh as usual :P The only thing I didn't care for tonight was the judges, but that's so surprise :lynch:

Phillip, Erika, Elise, and Colton stood out for me tonight. I felt the others ranged from OK-good. Jessica and Hollie have great voices, but were kind of mediocre performance wise. It was a tough night for singers like them, so I give them credit for doing a decent job.

Phillip also get's points for not listening to anything Diddy said. He's the kiss of death to all of his "proteges" under his record label. He destroyed the last decent act he had on his label.

Allskate
03-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Based on the singing alone, I'd send Heejun home. I didn't understand the desire to give the judges an FU. What did they say last week that was so unfair and mean?

I hate Piano Man. And Colton is going all squeaky on it, for lack of a better term.

The squeaky really was annoying. So was the pandering. As was his comments that "My hair's my baby?" and that he is "edgy." :lol: In the end, I didn't think he had the "moment" he told the media he was going to have and that the producers wanted him to have. I think they decided he was going to be the third horse. I wonder who they've chosen as their horse for next week. Hollie?

Phillip also get's points for not listening to anything Diddy said. He's the kiss of death to all of his "proteges" under his record label. He destroyed the last decent act he had on his label.

What I liked about Phillip not listening to Tommy or Diddy is that he didn't do it just to give them an FU, but because he understood who he is as a person and an artist and what works for him. It would be stupid to lose the guitar. (I remember when they tried to get Casey James to lose the guitar. Stooopid.) It makes sense not to try to make everybody happy or to cater to certain kinds of people. I think it works well for him that he comes across as very genuine.

skateboy
03-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Based on the singing alone, I'd send Heejun home. I didn't understand the desire to give the judges an FU.

I didn't take it as giving the judges an FU, the song lyrics are just what they are. My guess is that he just wanted to do an upbeat song to show something other than ballads. I thought it was great and definitely woke up the snoozefest.

Joshua is a good singer but that was not so terrific. DeAndre would be my choice to go, or Skylar.

victoriaheidi
03-22-2012, 05:20 AM
What I liked about Phillip not listening to Tommy or Diddy is that he didn't do it just to give them an FU, but because he understood who he is as a person and an artist and what works for him. It would be stupid to lose the guitar. (I remember when they tried to get Casey James to lose the guitar. Stooopid.) It makes sense not to try to make everybody happy or to cater to certain kinds of people. I think it works well for him that he comes across as very genuine.

Agreed! I feel like we had this discussion during top 24, but it's soooo true. Props to Phil Phillips for knowing himself well enough to know that he was better this way.

skatesindreams
03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Phillip, Erika, Elise, and Colton stood out for me tonight. I felt the others ranged from OK-good. Jessica and Hollie have great voices, but were kind of mediocre performance wise. It was a tough night for singers like them, so I give them credit for doing a decent job.

Phillip also get's points for not listening to anything Diddy said.

Agree with all of the above.
Whether one likes Billy Joel or not, I'm always surprised when contestants/celebs say they don't know him/his material.

taf2002
03-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Based on the singing alone, I'd send Heejun home. I didn't understand the desire to give the judges an FU. What did they say last week that was so unfair and mean?

I don't listen to the judges' critiques so I don't know. I don't consider Hee-Jun a good singer but IMO he's better at singing than they are at judging. Apparently they all really panned him & practically reduced him to tears. What's bad about that is that they could have cut him anytime before top 24 if they don't think he's any good. And if they think he's good but just messed up the performance, tell him specifics that will help him improve, not some general garbage like not the right song or pitchy or all over the place. Where was this advice during rehearsals? Why do they let people get up there & bomb who they KNOW is messing up & needs a hand?

This is their top 10. Now they need to be constructive with all the contestants, not tear any of them down. They need real mentoring, not some televised crap. Most of these people aren't going to make a big splash in the recording industry but every year there are one or two who probably could be really good who is just trashed because they aren't Nigel's pick or because they didn't get the support & mentoring they deserved. I think they all deserve special attention because they all collectively have made these very rich people.

Rob
03-22-2012, 03:35 PM
I liked Erika and Phillip the best and thought DeAndre and HeeJun were the worst.
In the middle, I liked Elise, Jessica, Joshua, was indifferent to Colton and Skylar, and didn't like the start to Hollie's song because she was off key quite a bit.

Why in the world would P.PuffDiddyDaddy mentor for Billy Joel week?

Jimmy doesn't think anyone would know the song Vienna? I think I still know every song from The Stranger, and I haven't listened to the album since 1977 or 1978.

Why did they even bother showing the Hilfiger consultations - did like 3 people actually take any of his advice? What was all the fuss about matching Skylar's cowboy boots to her purple dress and then she comes out in black and white with black high heels. I do like Erika's hair though.

birdgal
03-22-2012, 03:43 PM
I
liked Erika and Phillip the best and thought DeAndre and HeeJun were the worst.
In the middle, I liked Elise, Jessica, Joshua, was indifferent to Colton and Skylar, and didn't like the start to Hollie's song because she was off key quite a bit.

Totally agree with this. I have like Phillip Phillips since his first audition. He was different then and he remains his own person. Have to respect that.

skatesindreams
03-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't consider Hee-Jun a good singer but IMO he's better at singing than they are at judging.
Apparently they all really panned him & practically reduced him to tears.
What's bad about that is that they could have cut him anytime before top 24 if they don't think he's any good.

That's the problem.
He should have been cut; as he doesn't really have the voice, or the experience/training to allow him to maximize what ability he does have.
The public is keeping him in; and the situation is becoming increasingly difficult/embarrassing for all concerned.

soxxy
03-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Do people want updates?

LuckyCharm
03-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Do people want updates?

I want snark. I didn't realize the show had started already. Who's this young lady performing?

soxxy
03-23-2012, 12:34 AM
That's Lana del Rey. When she performed on SNL last month she caused a lot talk.