PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Top 10 (Billy Joel Night with P. Diddy As Mentor, Of Course)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]

snoopysnake
03-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Just wondering whatever happened to James (the rocker) from last season? Has he put out anything? I don't listen to "popular" radio.

James Durbin had a CD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Durbin_%28singer%29) released last summer. I thought he should have won Idol.

WindSpirit
03-24-2012, 10:19 PM
The only singer I liked is already out. This show is dead to me. I didn't even watch this week and now I really don't care to even fast forward through on my DVR. It has been a fun 10 years (most of it, anyway) but I think I finally aged out of AI. The funny thing is I am 29, isn't that their age limit? Apparently it is the limit for viewing audience, too, :lol: It is? Funny how some people think everything's about them. :P

If you've watched for so long, you should have learned a few things by now. Failing to win Idol (or even leaving quite early) is not necessarily the end of your career. Wining doesn't make you a star, either. Getting emotionally invested might not be the best idea (although we probably don't control this one so much). Erika didn't deserve to go, but it's not the end of the world, either for her or you. Quitting the show because someone (that you didn't even had a chance to get to know much) dropped out in the 10th place seems a little dramatic.

Allskate
03-24-2012, 10:28 PM
:lol: A little dramatic. I said she was the only singer I liked but that doesn't mean she is the only one who can sing on key and stay in tune. I can tell a few of them are good singers but they aren't the types of voices I get invested in and want to watch and vote for. Liking a singer has a lot more to do with than just your ears, as this show has made very clear. Jessica Sanchez is great but does nothing for me, I've seen much more exciting performers at the local karaoke bar even if they don't sing as well. So no need to feel sorry for me, :rolleyes:

Good to know that failing to agree with other people on the appeal of certain AI contestants doesn't render a person deaf. ;) I'm thinking that taking people's comments literally on this thread doesn't make much sense, though it's a good way for people to knock down straw horses and engage in unnecessary insults. BTW, I don't think you're the one in this thread who appears most emotionally invested. I think that getting upet that others disagree with you about certain contestants is far more indicative of emotional investment. It would be really nice if people could civilly and rationally disagree about the contestants. But, I realize that's not likely to happen.

BigB08822
03-25-2012, 05:48 PM
It is? Funny how some people think everything's about them. :P

If you've watched for so long, you should have learned a few things by now. Failing to win Idol (or even leaving quite early) is not necessarily the end of your career. Wining doesn't make you a star, either. Getting emotionally invested might not be the best idea (although we probably don't control this one so much). Erika didn't deserve to go, but it's not the end of the world, either for her or you. Quitting the show because someone (that you didn't even had a chance to get to know much) dropped out in the 10th place seems a little dramatic.

I was only talking about me. I am not quitting because of Erika. Let's be real, though, Erika is not having any big career after this. Maybe she will get signed by some independent label but it would take a miracle for her to have some kind of hit that puts her on the map. Even if she releases an album that will probably be the one and only we ever get from her.

I even said I had not watched the episode (actually, I haven't watched a single full episode this season) so clearly Erika's exit is not my reason for quitting watching the show. This has been a LONG time coming. I have threatened this for at least 3 or 4 seasons and I finally realize this is just the way the show is. It will continue to cater to cute boys who aren't good singers and country singers. Neither of which I care for. Why should I watch? If a singer is on there who would appeal to me, I can youtube him/her should I hear about them around the watercooler. Getting emotionally invested is what people do on these shows and is the whole point, otherwise who is going to be voting 138744 times for their favorite? If you don't get emotionally invested then Idol is doing something wrong.

haribobo
03-25-2012, 06:37 PM
I think that getting upet that others disagree with you about certain contestants is far more indicative of emotional investment. It would be really nice if people could civilly and rationally disagree about the contestants. But, I realize that's not likely to happen.

The thing is, sure, people have the right to post any old thing you want here, basically. But if you were a skating fan that was mad that the Americans didn't win the gold medal at Worlds/Olympics, what sense does it make to come in to the thread every single year during Worlds proclaiming how disgusting skating is and how angry the judging and/or failures of *your* skater is and how you're DONE and never watching again.....but then the next year you come and say the same thing. It just gets so tiresome to read these posts talking about OMG WHAT A TRAVESTY HEEJUN SHOULD'VE NEVER BEATEN ERIKA AMERICA'S REALLY LOST IT THIS TIME I'M DONE!!! :rolleyes:

It's like, HELLO, have these people never seen this show? You KNOW some good people are going to go first, and if none of the 9 singers left have any appeal to you, I just think you need a new hobby cause good music isn't really your thing. I'm sorry but Elise, Hollie, Phillip, and Jessica are all fabulous, some of the best ever on this show, and it really make me sad for some people that they can't seem to enjoy them...and Deandre, Joshua, Colton, and Skylar and even Heejun have their charms as well. For those people who just can't seem to find anything to like about any of them, I prefer they stop spraying negativity around on this thread and go find a new hobby. I'm not saying everyone has to love every contestant, but at least show some interest and ability to be objective about the strengths and weaknesses...or go start an I HATE AMERICAN IDOL thread that we fans can easily avoid....I realize I don't call the shots here, but its just my feeling on the matter. :slinkaway

Go Heejun! :kickass:

haribobo
03-25-2012, 06:50 PM
I even said I had not watched the episode (actually, I haven't watched a single full episode this season) so clearly Erika's exit is not my reason for quitting watching the show. This has been a LONG time coming. I have threatened this for at least 3 or 4 seasons and I finally realize this is just the way the show is. It will continue to cater to cute boys who aren't good singers and country singers. Neither of which I care for. Why should I watch?

Idol really owes us nothing, and I just don't understand the point of dragging it on that long. If you want to stop being a fan, none of us are stopping you. Clearly this show has some kind of bizarre hold on you for you to continue visiting this thread and half-watching the show just to get enough of a snippet to complain about on here the next day. Although I can and will put you on block because your posts drive me insane (and I'm doing that today, not in 4 years ;) ), I just wanted to say that you need to get better at letting go of things if they make you this frustrated/angry. That's all.

And for what its worth, Hollie, Elise, Heejun, Jessica, and Joshua are neither cute boys nor country singers. And they are still in this thing with a fighting chance. David Cook, Kris Allen, and Lee Dewyze all clearly had some talent, and 2 out of those three definitely deserved their wins to me, and Lee had enough good moments on the show that I wasn't mad about his win. Crystal Bowersox made it all the way to 2nd place and she wasn't a cute boy nor a country singer. Scotty and Lauren last year were probably my least favorite final 2 ever and I do feel that they were pushed and favored all the way along (some kind of evil agenda took hold of the show last season, I'm convinced), but I knew enough people that had problems with Haley's singing style that I wasn't all that surprised to see her go out at 3rd place, and I was happy that she even got that far. IMO the last 2 seasons contained way more travesties and crap contestants in their top 13 vs. this one. To me, everyone left in this top 9 this year has some worth and I think those that *have* been watching the full episodes can somewhat see that.

Allskate
03-25-2012, 06:58 PM
For those people who just can't seem to find anything to like about any of them, I prefer they stop spraying negativity around on this thread and go find a new hobby.

The thing is, sure, people have the right to post any old thing you want here, basically.

Do you see any hypocrisy here? Any?

Is there a reason you have to spray so much negativity towards people like Brian?

Seriously, take a step back and look at who is really being negative and really emotionally invested here. If you can't handle disagreement over singers, skaters, and judges, then perhaps you should consider whether FSU is really the place for you. There are fan pages for particular skaters and singers.

and it really make me sad for some people that they can't seem to enjoy them...

:rolleyes: Let's be honest. You're not sad for other people. You're pissed off that we won't post how you want us to.

Go Heejun!

Ah, yes, you're so objective.

haribobo
03-25-2012, 07:07 PM
:rolleyes: Let's be honest. You're not sad for other people. You're pissed off that we won't post how you want us to.

False. I don't have problems with posters who are big fans of any other contestants. I enjoy reading the varying critiques. Its the people that say they are DONE with this show every freaking season that drive me up a wall. Heejun is far from my fave this season but I still enjoyed his effort this week. I posted the Go Heejun to be funny and cause the Heejun Haters bore me. But anyway that's enough arguing for one day. Blah.

taf2002
03-25-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't think anyone hates Hee-Jun. He seems like a nice guy & he works with kids. He's probably getting a lot of votes from them. But that doesn't make him a singer who can have commercial success & I really don't think he will. I certainly don't feel like saying "Go Hee-Jun", it's more like "Go away Hee-Jun". K-3 teachers who sing Farmer in the Dell to their kids probably have as pleasant a voice.

So it annoys me that Nigel said last year he was going to address the unlimited voting and didn't, & that those 3 goons are still "judging". That's why I don't vote anymore & why I FF thru all the talking. It takes me about 20-25 mins to watch a 2hr show. But I still watch for the chance that someone really good will come along. I was a little sad for Erika but at least she is getting the tour.

BaileyCatts
03-25-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't think anyone hates Hee-Jun.

I do. He annoys the hell out of me. :P

Continue thread. :rofl:

taf2002
03-25-2012, 11:28 PM
The difference between annoy & hate is as wide as the Gulf of Mexico.

BigB08822
03-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Idol really owes us nothing, and I just don't understand the point of dragging it on that long. If you want to stop being a fan, none of us are stopping you. Clearly this show has some kind of bizarre hold on you for you to continue visiting this thread and half-watching the show just to get enough of a snippet to complain about on here the next day. Although I can and will put you on block because your posts drive me insane (and I'm doing that today, not in 4 years ;) ), I just wanted to say that you need to get better at letting go of things if they make you this frustrated/angry. That's all.

And for what its worth, Hollie, Elise, Heejun, Jessica, and Joshua are neither cute boys nor country singers. And they are still in this thing with a fighting chance. David Cook, Kris Allen, and Lee Dewyze all clearly had some talent, and 2 out of those three definitely deserved their wins to me, and Lee had enough good moments on the show that I wasn't mad about his win. Crystal Bowersox made it all the way to 2nd place and she wasn't a cute boy nor a country singer. Scotty and Lauren last year were probably my least favorite final 2 ever and I do feel that they were pushed and favored all the way along (some kind of evil agenda took hold of the show last season, I'm convinced), but I knew enough people that had problems with Haley's singing style that I wasn't all that surprised to see her go out at 3rd place, and I was happy that she even got that far. IMO the last 2 seasons contained way more travesties and crap contestants in their top 13 vs. this one. To me, everyone left in this top 9 this year has some worth and I think those that *have* been watching the full episodes can somewhat see that.

Nygel, is that you? I may say I hate the show and I am done but that is part of the fun for me. I watched the very first episode of American Idol back in Season 1 so yeah, the show does have some kind of hold on me. I got invested. I don't know why you get so upset because someone doesn't like the show any more. You are acting completely offended that I don't want to watch. Why? If the show has a hold on me then clearly it has just as strong of a hold on you. At least I don't go around attacking posters for posting their opinions and feelings of a show on a thread created for that very reason. This thread is not intended for only positive comments and I have hardly posted in here this year. Feel free to block me now or in 4 years but the fact that you posted that in the thread is extremely immature and tacky.

Finally, just to be clear, I never commented about anyone not deserving to be there. I only said Erika was gone therefore I don't want to watch any more. I can't believe such a comment would set someone off, I have every right to feel that way and say so in a public forum. You have every right to disagree but learn to do so without putting words in my mouth and insinuating that I am an idiot for thinking that way.

I would recommend you quit watching Idol and get back to reality because you are kind of going nuts but you wont read this because you blocked me so I hope everyone else enjoys watching haribobo break down over the course of the season. :watch:

ETA: I see your post about Heejun now and it all makes sense. :rofl:

WindSpirit
03-26-2012, 12:54 AM
It might be a good time to take it to PM, guys.

haribobo
03-26-2012, 12:58 AM
You are acting completely offended that I don't want to watch. Why? If the show has a hold on me then clearly it has just as strong of a hold on you.

I was addressing the multitude of posters who are constantly threatening to quit the show- you and Allskate made the decision that my post was entirely directed at you but you're only the latest example in a long trend. Yes the show has a hold on me but I enjoy it- I don't come in here talking about how much I hate it all the time. So its not only you, but you're the most vocal about it. I'm just saying, find something that makes you happy, and don't continue to let this show drag you down. I find a lot of tv shows boring and insufferable, but I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. I've watched ever Idol episode since midway through season one and its never caused me to unravel this far. I am understanding of its problems but I also find that the top 5 is usually a very talented group of people. Even if my favorite goes home early, I find it fascinating to see who ends up where every year, and I love seeing the contestants have their moments in the sun. I just think its a magical and interesting process and if you don't feel the same, fine, but why spend time posting about it then? Do you think it makes you seem cool that you're over it?

WindSpirit
03-26-2012, 01:25 AM
OK, I'll ask again, please take it to PM. It's not about the show anymore, it's about your personal squabble. I don't want to close the thread just because you guys can't let it go.