PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Top 10 (Billy Joel Night with P. Diddy As Mentor, Of Course)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

skatesindreams
03-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Is performing at the "local county fair" what constitutes a successful career according to/after AI?

cruisin
03-23-2012, 08:03 PM
If you look at seasons 7 & 8, the winners did diverse types of songs. Then last season, Scotty won by singing essentially the same song all the way through. I fear we aren't going to have any Billie Jean or Mad World or Heartless types of performances this year.

I think that Mad World was a one time, never going to happen again, moment. I have seen some really outstanding performances on Idol (mixed in with the, more typical, mediocre ones). But, Mad World completely blew me away, gave me chills. It was impeccable, the singing, the styling, the staging - perfection! It was so incredible, I don't know if anyone can repeat that.

Dragonlady
03-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Is there really an audience for Scotty, or Taylor Hicks?
I hate to think about the state of musical taste in the US, if that is the case.

The last I heard of Taylor Hicks, he was playing Teen Angel in the road company of Grease.

Scotty McCreery won American Country Awards New Artist of the Year last year and his debut album topped 5 Billboard charts: Billboard 200, Top Current Albums, Digital Albums, Internet Albums, and Top Country Albums and was certified platinum.

That's in addition to doing the Idol tour all last summer.

skatesindreams
03-23-2012, 08:14 PM
None of that will make me like his singing.
It disturbs me when a performer apparently has to sing "country" to find an audience.

Allskate
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
to be fair, dont you also watch kloe and lamar? :P

:rofl:

It disturbs me when a performer apparently has to sing "country" to find an audience.

I don't think that a performer has to sing country to find an audience. But, on American Idol, it clearly helps if you sing country, if you are from the South, and if you repeatedly make it clear that you love Jesus, the South, the U.S.A., apple pie, and mom.

Fridge_Break
03-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Is performing at the "local county fair" what constitutes a successful career according to/after AI?

I saw Kelly Clarkson at a local county fair about 2.5 years ago :shuffle: :P

rfisher
03-23-2012, 09:10 PM

PML he didn't "have" to sing country. He chose to do so. Clearly, you are not a country music fan. Country music is one of the biggest money making venues in music which is why many pop singers are wanting to do a country album including Adele. :lol:

skatesindreams
03-23-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't like very much "country" music, you're right.
I've lived in the South most of my life.

The great majority of the material doesn't speak to, or for, me.

fenway2
03-23-2012, 09:55 PM
I saw Kelly Clarkson at a local county fair about 2.5 years ago :shuffle: :P Me too. I saw Daughtry at the height of their/his fame at the local county fair too. Took my niece to see Selena Gomez at the fair last year.

Allskate
03-24-2012, 12:41 AM
PML he didn't "have" to sing country. He chose to do so. Clearly, you are not a country music fan. Country music is one of the biggest money making venues in music which is why many pop singers are wanting to do a country album including Adele. :lol:

Somehow, I don't think Adele's interest in making a country album is because there's more money in it for her. She's doing great with what she's doing and she probably would do worse outside the United States if she did a country album. In any event, I read where, even though she likes country, she will not be donig a country album.

But, your point is kind of reinforcing the point that skatesindreams was making. In the U.S., and especially on Idol, you have a better chance of having a career and making money if you are a country singer. In any event, just because that's true, doesn't mean everyone likes country music or thinks a particular country artist is good.

BigB08822
03-24-2012, 01:06 AM
The only singer I liked is already out. This show is dead to me. I didn't even watch this week and now I really don't care to even fast forward through on my DVR. It has been a fun 10 years (most of it, anyway) but I think I finally aged out of AI. The funny thing is I am 29, isn't that their age limit? Apparently it is the limit for viewing audience, too, :lol:

taf2002
03-24-2012, 02:09 AM
I think that Mad World was a one time, never going to happen again, moment. I have seen some really outstanding performances on Idol (mixed in with the, more typical, mediocre ones). But, Mad World completely blew me away, gave me chills. It was impeccable, the singing, the styling, the staging - perfection! It was so incredible, I don't know if anyone can repeat that.

I have that performance of Mad World on my iPod & it blew me away too. But it was topped IMO by Elliott Yamin's Moody's Mood For Love & David Cook's Hello & Billie Jean. And Erika's I Believe in You & Me was right up with them. I thought she was incredible. It's too bad she wasn't on The Voice because I think she would do very well there.

haribobo
03-24-2012, 03:14 AM
The only singer I liked is already out. This show is dead to me.

Lolz really Erika was the only one you liked? I feel sad for you that your ears seem to not work. :scream: But ok go run along and find something else to watch then.

Susan1
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Just wondering whatever happened to James (the rocker) from last season? Has he put out anything? I don't listen to "popular" radio.

BigB08822
03-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Lolz really Erika was the only one you liked? I feel sad for you that your earns seem to not work. :scream: But ok go run along and find something else to watch then.

:lol: A little dramatic. I said she was the only singer I liked but that doesn't mean she is the only one who can sing on key and stay in tune. I can tell a few of them are good singers but they aren't the types of voices I get invested in and want to watch and vote for. Liking a singer has a lot more to do with than just your ears, as this show has made very clear. Jessica Sanchez is great but does nothing for me, I've seen much more exciting performers at the local karaoke bar even if they don't sing as well. So no need to feel sorry for me, :rolleyes: