PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Top 10 (Billy Joel Night with P. Diddy As Mentor, Of Course)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14

cruisin
03-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Well the singing treacly ballads is what he does best, and its not going to win him the comp no matter what, I think he knows that, and he knows his time is limited so he figures, why not do something fun and lively? I don't think he has to decide what to be- he just has to be Heejun and ride this out until it inevitably ends in a week or two. I don't think he made a fool out of himself anymore than Tim Urban or Jon Peter Lewis ever did. It's fine. This is American Idol. You have to break out and do something a lil silly sometimes.

I know his singing style will not win if for him. And I agree, he knows he won't win, there are too many really talented people on the show. Just to be clear, I didn't think his silliness was what made him look like a fool. It was the fact that he sang so badly. If he could have pulled off the silliness and kept in tune, he would have been fine. But, he can't pull off both. Unfortunately (for him), this is a singing competition, not a try-out for SNL.

snoopysnake
03-23-2012, 02:25 PM
I really hate the lighting and video screens this year. The huge video backdrops dwarf the singers. The dark lighting effects may simulate concert settings, but look terrible on TV and make the singers look like monsters. (Perhaps that is intentional, what with all the zombie trends out there.) That first guest singer last night was swallowed up by the set.

It feels like so many of these singers are getting worse instead of better from week to week. Joshua, Skylar, HeeJun, Hollie, and even Jessica come to mind.

Rob
03-23-2012, 02:49 PM
I really hate the lighting and video screens this year. The huge video backdrops dwarf the singers. The dark lighting effects may simulate concert settings, but look terrible on TV and make the singers look like monsters. (Perhaps that is intentional, what with all the zombie trends out there.) That first guest singer last night was swallowed up by the set.

So do I. Too XFactor over the top.

Erika's clothes styling last night was terrible, and it has been pretty bad since the first show. I liked her dark hair, but for the most part, they've made her look frumpy and matronly.

cruisin
03-23-2012, 02:51 PM
I don't know if the singers are getting worse. I do think that the music choices are not suitable for some of them. I especially think that Skylar had two weeks where she was just not right for the genre. Heejun should have been able to find a Billy Joel ballad that suited him, but he opted for goofy instead. Hollie was off key a lot. But, I thought Jessica was really good.

Aceon6
03-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm just going to demote AI on my TiVo and take what the TiVo gives me. If there's room, it will record, if not, I don't think I'll be missing anything.

victoriaheidi
03-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Honestly, there are some great contestants this season, and I like a lot of them, but none of them has given me a reason to be like "OMG I must mass-vote and if I miss Idol and don't get to see [person]'s performance, I neeeeeeed someone to post it on youtube ASAP!" That was me with Haley. Only time I've really been that obsessed.

Seriously, though, there's no one in the group who makes me think, "wow, what an interesting and unexpected talent." Everyone there is kind of similar to someone else, or not all that memorable.

I do like a lot of them, but I don't love anyone...yet.

PrincessLeppard
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
If you look at seasons 7 & 8, the winners did diverse types of songs. Then last season, Scotty won by singing essentially the same song all the way through. I fear we aren't going to have any Billie Jean or Mad World or Heartless types of performances this year.

Allskate
03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
If you look at seasons 7 & 8, the winners did diverse types of songs. Then last season, Scotty won by singing essentially the same song all the way through. I fear we aren't going to have any Billie Jean or Mad World or Heartless types of performances this year.

ITA. Especially if you have judges like Steven telling Jessica to stick to ballads. As much as Jimmy is saying to dial it back, I think they get the opposite advice from the Idol folks. Also, I don't think there are very many contestants on this year's show who are capable of doing a Billie Jean or Heartless kind of re-arrangement. Phillip maybe, but I think that, even though he re-works songs, there's a similar style to most of them. Also, I don't think there are any who have the maturity and vocal control to do a Mad World kind of performance.

Plus, Scotty did not win just because of his singing or because it was a weak group. This show has become more and more a pageant.

Kruss
03-23-2012, 06:03 PM

So much word.

Dragonlady
03-23-2012, 06:31 PM
I don't get all of the angst for Erica being eliminated. I thought everyone who sang prior to Elise was very forgettable and were just doing bad karoke. Standouts for me were Elise, Jessica, Phillip, and Colton.

I thought Colton won the night.

DarrellH
03-23-2012, 06:53 PM

^This

haribobo
03-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Elise's "Vienna" is on my ipod and I've gotten goosebumps every freakin time I've heard it. CRAZY. Phil on Moving Out also does some crazy things to me. I'd take either of these over Mad World or even Heartless. I LOVE Jessica and Hollie also. As long as these 4 are around, I am FULLY engaged with this season.

my little pony
03-23-2012, 07:23 PM
to be fair, dont you also watch kloe and lamar? :P

skatesindreams
03-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Is there really an audience for Scotty, or Taylor Hicks?
I hate to think about the state of musical taste in the US, if that is the case.

Rob
03-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Once of the admins in my office said she was going to her local county fair to see Scotty perform. :scream: