PDA

View Full Version : The Winter That Never Was

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

missflick
03-21-2012, 07:46 AM
http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/03/19/the-winter-that-never-was/

A good read, especially for Canadians.

ETA: I wouldn't mind some comments from Russians on this site regarding their winter.

Japanfan
03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Except for Canadians in British Columbia. We haven't had a horrible winter but aren't getting the same warmth as elsewhere in the county. It's been rainy and cold the past few days.

We didn't get much of a summer last year either.

Buzz
03-21-2012, 12:16 PM
We have had virtually no snow so far this season and now people are walking around in shorts!

KatieC
03-21-2012, 12:49 PM
My first daffodil bloomed on March 20th. I think it's two weeks early. I've dumped the winter coat (hopefully for good) but haven't gone to shorts yet.

Aimless
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Here on Long Island, spring doesn't have the emotional/rebirth impact that it should because the winter was so mild. Am I complaining? Maybe yes. But saved something like $600 on fuel oil. Wonder what heat the summer will bring?

danceronice
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm paranoid. Yes, it's 80+ (apparently it hasn't been this warm this early here since 1886!) But I am not putting plants like my blueberry bushes in the ground yet and I'm not starting seedlings. We aren't REALLY clear of a killing frost risk until mid-May or so.

And we had mild blah December, then got slammed by a lake-effect blizzard late January. The weather WILL change. Though right now I just wish it would rain and take out the tree pollen a bit.

Gypsy
03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
We haven't really had a "winter" here at all. And I am getting so tired of everybody talking about how fantastic our weather has been...no snow...etc.
I love the winter...it is one of my favorite seasons, so I have for one have not been excited about this weather. :(

And the weather reporters around her keep talking about how wonderful it has been and patting themselves on the back like they have something to do with it!!

It has been so dry that some of the pine trees have started to die, and we have already had a grass fire! :eek:

I am worried this summer is gonna be too hot and humid. I am also worried we could get some massive storms.

When you get mild weather like this, I figure we are gonna pay for it eventually.

Jenny
03-21-2012, 03:35 PM
It has been so dry that some of the pine trees have started to die, and we have already had a grass fire! :eek:

I am worried this summer is gonna be too hot and humid. I am also worried we could get some massive storms.

I'm wondering what this is going to do to the pest population this summer, and whether this will mean a big year for critters like ants, slugs, aphids, mosquitos and wasps. Here's hoping *fingers crossed*

LilJen
03-21-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm also hoping for a big, hard freeze to KILL all the nasties. Found a tick on the dog this morning. . . it's REALLY early for ticks.

ilovesalchows
03-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Except for Canadians in British Columbia. We haven't had a horrible winter but aren't getting the same warmth as elsewhere in the county. It's been rainy and cold the past few days.

We didn't get much of a summer last year either.

We haven't had a good summer in the Pacific Northwest for two years. Whatever happens to make the rest of the country hot seems to do the opposite to us.

kwanatic
03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Our winter here in GA was the most mild I've ever seen it...and I've been living here for 17 years! Usually we hit a span of a couple of weeks where it doesn't get go higher than the low 50s...this year we've bounced from 51 one day to 68 the next, down to 55 the next day and up to 72 after that. The weather has been all over the place! It's completely insane!

I'm a huge fan of winter (I hate the sun, heat and bugs that spring and summer bring...and GOD the pollen!) so this has been really shocking for me. Spring just started (officially anyway) and already we're hitting high 70s. Typically, the weather doesn't really warm up until mid-April...I'm terrified of what this summer is going to be like!

skatingfan5
03-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Here in Illinois we had about 10 days of what I think of as "real winter" weather -- i.e. at least in the low 20's or lower. Total snowfall was barely 3 inches. I actually like winter, so this was very disappointing.

Today the forecast is for 85 degrees (and the 8th consecutive day of 80+ weather -- more than 30 degrees above the average for mid-late March) -- tomorrow's is for a bit lower (78 degrees or so) and the weekend we should be back to mid 60's (which is still more than 10 degrees above average). In the past week all my daffodils have bloomed and then died and the magnolias have gone from bud to falling petals since Friday (4-5 weeks earlier than the norm). All the spring flowering has been push weeks ahead and compressed into a vastly shortened time frame. :(

vesperholly
03-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Pests weren’t killed off by the cold, and will probably be worse than ever in the months ahead: alfalfa weevils, corn flea beetles, bean leaf beetles and pine beetles could ravage crops and trees. (Blackflies, ticks, hornets and wasps could plague us like never before.)

Is it too late to ask winter to come back? :scream:

znachki
03-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Japanfan and Ilovesalchows may have weighed in first, but I have to add my voice to theirs. Winter in the Seattle/Vancouver, BC/Portland area - or really anywhere west of the Rockies, and north of, say the 40th Parallel, is still in winter.

First day of spring in Seattle yesterday? Snow and rain and a high of 46, which is like 10 degrees below normal. Add to that, the hardly any summer the last two years - I'm sure many of you saw the 78 minutes of summer articles from last year, and I for one am ready for this to be over. And I say this as a mossbacked, webfooted, 4th generation Washingtonian.

Of course, given the above, I also reserve the right to complain that it's too hot, if it gets over 90 (maybe even 85) for more than 3 days in a row this summer.

Dragonlady
03-21-2012, 06:09 PM
My boss was saying that there appears to be a lot of grubs in his lawn because the frost didn't kill them and his cottage property is all torn up by moles. Neither would have happened if we'd had a "real" winter.

I'm worried about the lack of moisture all winter. When the snow melts, it nourishes the trees and the soil for the farmers. Between pest control and the higher costs for produce this summer, I fear that the $400 I saved in heating costs for January and February will be gone in no time.