PDA

View Full Version : Facebook weirdness

Pages : [1] 2

Artemis@BC
03-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Anyone seen something like this happen?

On Sunday morning, I posted a picture of a pair of shoes that I'd bought (coz they're just so cute!). Then in the wee small hours of this morning, I got 3 emails from Facebook, each saying "[Friend Name] added a new photo to the album Wall Photos." And the picture that they (supposedly) added was the shoe picture I'd posted.

Now it's not unusual for me to get emails from Facebook -- because I'm not logged in all the time, and super active, I have my account set up so that I get email notifications when someone posts on my wall or replies to one of my posts. The weird part is why this particular photo would show up as a posting on their walls. Why just those 3 friends?

It does so happen that these particular friends are not exactly the most tech-savy (or at least Facebook-savy) folks in the world, so I guess it's possible that they did something at their end. But it seems a bit of a coincidence, esp. since all 3 are lurkers and pretty much never like or comment or post on anything. And esp. since when I check their actual walls ... no photo there at all.

Any guesses what's going on here? TIA

Rob
03-20-2012, 08:42 PM
I've had some strange things happen too. I will get a note that a friend tagged me in a photo and when I link to it, a total stranger (a friend of my friend) tagged my friend in the photo. No photo of me at all.

Spareoom
03-20-2012, 08:47 PM
You know, I just had a status of mine that I'd posted on Friday be emailed to me as a post from another friend's account. I go to their wall, and no status. I'm deleting the email; sounds like some kind of virus or something. Again, the friend is not tech savvy either.

skipaway
03-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Maybe the 3 of them have a shoe fetish. ;)

Aussie Willy
03-20-2012, 09:14 PM
It seems to have changed that when "a friend" makes a comment in someone else's post that will appear on your page.

DarrellH
03-20-2012, 09:31 PM
I am not a fan of the timeline.

Artemis@BC
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
^ Nothin' to do with timeline. I'm not using timeline, and neither are the 3 friends in question.

I'm willing to accept that it's "just one of those things," though. But still. Weird.

DarrellH
03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
^ I agree. Sorry. I thought that the date had already passed for people to switch or be switched.

Fridge_Break
03-20-2012, 10:07 PM
I just got an email saying that [random friend] updated their status... which is WEIRD because I never get emails saying that people update their status, let alone from a random friend I haven't talked to in awhile. It also said their status was updated with the same status that I had put up a few days ago... and it made no sense because mine wasn't a generic update, I had tagged another friend in it. I went to the friend's page that I got the email saying they had updated their status and nothing was there.... super weird.

triple_toe
03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
The timeline is terrible. Worst "improvement" they've made yet.

Spareoom
03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
I just got an email saying that [random friend] updated their status... which is WEIRD because I never get emails saying that people update their status, let alone from a random friend I haven't talked to in awhile. It also said their status was updated with the same status that I had put up a few days ago... and it made no sense because mine wasn't a generic update, I had tagged another friend in it. I went to the friend's page that I got the email saying they had updated their status and nothing was there.... super weird.
Yep, that is exactly what happened to me. Sounds like some sort of scam/virus especially since I NEVER get emails from FB anymore.

UGG
03-21-2012, 12:31 AM
I actually like some things about the timeline-I had a good laugh reading all of my posts from last year when i was pregnant hahah.

Rob
03-22-2012, 05:32 PM
I switched and I hate it. Wish I hadn't.

shan
03-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I haven't switched to it, because I hate reading other people's pages that have switched.

Smiley0884
03-22-2012, 06:14 PM
I've had some strange things happen too. I will get a note that a friend tagged me in a photo and when I link to it, a total stranger (a friend of my friend) tagged my friend in the photo. No photo of me at all.

Facebook has this new thing where it will automatically tag pictures your friends upload that "look" like you. If the person uploading the pics doesn't have this feature turned off, then you might end up having tags in pictures you're not in, because FB "guessed" wrong. I realized this when I uploaded some pictures and people kept messaging me to untag them from pictures they weren't in.

Luckily the feature can be turned off, but it's still frustrating. Why is facebook trying to "guess" pictures I'm in? If I want to be tagged in a picture I'll tag it myself. :blah: