PDA

View Full Version : Simonenko's interview with Platov `Wish I were coaching the Russian skaters'

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

hanca
03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Wow, thanks for the explanation. I was sure a spread eagle was something any woman could do and any man would struggle with (I keep doing spread eagles on the ice and rollers assuming once you get a bit of a balance it's not such a big real...)

Well, then you are one of the lucky ones who never really had to work for it! ;) Maybe you can start ice dancing, TAHbKA. Chocktaws won't be any problem at all for you. :) For me spread eagles won't work to save my life! The best I can do is inside spread eagle with my knees bent and doing a tiny circle, not one of the big, impressive curves that are nearly straight. I think now I damaged my hip a bit. :(

I think it doesn't even have to do much with flexibility, because I am generally quite flexible. It is with the way how your body is grown.

vivika1982
03-21-2012, 03:51 PM
This video very rhumbahelpful for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52zjtDdvMxA

Beefcake
03-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks for sharing/the translation, Tab! :) Platov is a thoughtful, candid man ... excellent interview too.

;) Re, the "half-empty" arenas at Cup of Russia ... Skate America aspires for such thundering masses. :drama:

shan
03-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Isn't it more the reverse? The best spread eaglers I can think of have been men (Boitano, Casser, and so forth), while Katarina Witt never managed anything but a butt-eagle, for example, and I'm having trouble thinking of a woman with a really awesome spread eagle among the current group??. Oddly, Flatt has a pretty good one.

:swoon: Cassar.

I'm not a fan of the spread eagles in which the skater's feet are turned out but they're leaning forward with their upper body.

I have a dumb question. Can someone link a rhumba video and give the time the rhumba choctaw occurs? I think I know which step it is, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Thanks. :)

gkelly
03-21-2012, 07:59 PM
I have a dumb question. Can someone link a rhumba video and give the time the rhumba choctaw occurs? I think I know which step it is, but it would be nice to know for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYbDTKEzVoM at 0:33 (and in subsequent patterns)

Macassar88
03-21-2012, 08:06 PM
This video very rhumbahelpful for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52zjtDdvMxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUMFTcbLFk&feature=plcp&context=C4683c01VDvjVQa1PpcFMYgqoS6agcoxZovEDa2Gjj olSEPcjW6HY%3D
This one too

shan
03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYbDTKEzVoM at 0:33 (and in subsequent patterns)

That's what I thought! Yay! Thanks gkelly. :)

matti
03-21-2012, 08:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBAAtyx4Qc8 (Pasha Grishuk's choctaw not good)

DORISPULASKI
03-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Which is, of course, what Platov said in the interview :)

kwanfan1818
03-21-2012, 11:54 PM
The video gives a whole new meaning to "nice shirt".

matti
03-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Which is, of course, what Platov said in the interview :)

Yep, he should know cause only Pasha Grishuk had a clearly wrong edge in the clip. Ayayayaya... :wideeyes:
:)

Tak
03-24-2012, 02:36 AM
I really like Platov as a coach. He has done some remarkable things with Coombs/Buckland. They have improved so much from last year. I was very impressed with them at Euros.

I'd love to see him coach Sin/Zhig and R/T. I think both of them have potential and would improve so much with better coaching.

CoyoteChris
03-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Thanks for this translation! People think translation is easy like breaking a code but its really not. You really have to be culturally aware to do a good job.
I do have a question about EP's meaning in the below statement.
AS: ..... There is a belief a great skater doesn't necessarily become a good coach. Were you under pressure when you first started coaching?
EP: I was under pressure, but it wasn't that. Imagine: you won everything. You fly very high. And then you have to land, forget who you are and work hard. Give your soul to those idiots, who don't understand a thing first. That is what was hard. During the first year I thought about giving up. It was impossible! I was the greatest just a moment ago and all of the sudden I'm critisized, spoken about and told you did this and that wrong, your work is rubbish. I thought: what do I need it for? But as the time passed it became better."
What exactly did he mean by saying, "Give your soul to those idiots?"

aemeraldrainc
03-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for this translation! People think translation is easy like breaking a code but its really not. You really have to be culturally aware to do a good job.
AS: ..... There is a belief a great skater doesn't necessarily become a good coach. Were you under pressure when you first started coaching?
EP: I was under pressure, but it wasn't that. Imagine: you won everything. You fly very high. And then you have to land, forget who you are and work hard. Give your soul to those idiots, who don't understand a thing first. That is what was hard. During the first year I thought about giving up. It was impossible! I was the greatest just a moment ago and all of the sudden I'm critisized, spoken about and told you did this and that wrong, your work is rubbish. I thought: what do I need it for? But as the time passed it became better."

I figure he means he gave his heart and soul to his students (skaters) in all he did for them. Always giving the best of him, the most ardous effort.
Maybe "idiots" is too strong of a word? Might be lost in translation. Maybe he meant it in a more familiar way. Like "these crazy dimwits" but said in a half joking manner.
Just my impression.

TAHbKA
03-25-2012, 11:57 AM

The word he uses translated by google translate as (http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|%D0%B1%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%B1%D0%B5%D1%81) : booby, mug, bonehead, lardhead. Not idiots. My assumption (aka it is not written in the interview, just me jumping to a conclusion): he means the gap between a beginner ice dancer and a 2 times olympic champion - the level of explanation his coaches went into explaining things to him and how much he had to elucidate to explain things to his students.