PDA

View Full Version : Simonenko's interview with Platov `Wish I were coaching the Russian skaters'

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

vivika1982
03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Thank you for the interview TAHbKA :)

aliceanne
03-20-2012, 06:17 PM
I would like him as a coach. He is an optimist and embraces change, but at the same time he doesn't downplay the amount of work it takes to get to the top. He certainly can handle any personality if he partnered both Grishuk and Usova.

I too noticed the the choctaws in the the rhumba short dances this year. Very intense with bent knees and turnout. Every time you think you can't do something any better the bar gets raised.

Aren't the Russian skaters and coaches being subsidized to train in Russia for the Sochi Olympics? I would guess that is why they are all returning home.

Macassar88
03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Interesting interview! Can't wait for part 2!

DORISPULASKI
03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Me either.

But that part about the choctaws in the rhumba explains why Coomes and Buckland placed unexpectedly high in the SD.

feraina
03-20-2012, 10:29 PM
I love this interview. Actually, in general, I really like how Russians are so forthright and wry in their interviews. Such a contrast to North American PCness and Asian modesty. ;)

barbk
03-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Thank you for yet another fabulous translation, TAHbKA!

I'm impressed with how consistently the Russian coaches speak about V/M & D/W being clearly the superior dancers.

martyross
03-20-2012, 11:50 PM
wow, he seems such an intelligent, witty man. He had interesting things to say for each question. It was really refreshing. I too love the russian forthrightness in interviews and i would like to see more of that in Shpilband-Zoueva's, for example.
I wonder if Platov will become one of the super-top coaches in the future.
Can someone be so kind to explain me why the Rhumba choctaw is difficult?

maggylyn
03-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Thank you, TAHbKA! :)

I really enjoyed this interview.

kwanfan1818
03-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Has any one he has coached thus far been particularly successful? Why not return to Russia temporarily (through Sochi)?
When you have elderly parents near you, two years away from them is a long time. It's different when spouses agree to live separately because of school.

hanca
03-21-2012, 03:59 AM
wow, he seems such an intelligent, witty man. He had interesting things to say for each question. It was really refreshing. I too love the russian forthrightness in interviews and i would like to see more of that in Shpilband-Zoueva's, for example.
I wonder if Platov will become one of the super-top coaches in the future.

Because you really need to have open hips for it. Some skaters have it naturaly (those who can make spread eagle without even thinking about it) and the rest of us have to learn it the hard way (lots of stretching and it still is not quite the same). A lot of skaters have naturally closed hips. In free skating those skater will just avoid Ina Bauer and spread eagle, and their layback spin will have ugly position, but otherwise no big deal. In ice dance, there are things where you need body with open hips (e.g. chocktaws) and you can't avoid it. If you don't have it, you have to work on it. Find it on youtube and try it yourself, it is really hard. To do any chocktaw is hard, but to do a chocktaw when you know they will be watching the edges nearly under a microscope is really hard. We have one exercise with chocktaws in our field moves. I have been working on it for a year, and although I can sort of do the exercise, I am nowhere near ready for the test, because if the judge checks the tracings, there may be some cheats here and there.

TAHbKA
03-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Because you really need to have open hips for it. Some skaters have it naturaly (those who can make spread eagle without even thinking about it) and the rest of us have to learn it the hard way (lots of stretching and it still is not quite the same). A lot of skaters have naturally closed hips. In free skating those skater will just avoid Ina Bauer and spread eagle, and their layback spin will have ugly position, but otherwise no big deal. In ice dance, there are things where you need body with open hips (e.g. chocktaws) and you can't avoid it. If you don't have it, you have to work on it. Find it on youtube and try it yourself, it is really hard. To do any chocktaw is hard, but to do a chocktaw when you know they will be watching the edges nearly under a microscope is really hard. We have one exercise with chocktaws in our field moves. I have been working on it for a year, and although I can sort of do the exercise, I am nowhere near ready for the test, because if the judge checks the tracings, there may be some cheats here and there.

Wow, thanks for the explanation. I was sure a spread eagle was something any woman could do and any man would struggle with (I keep doing spread eagles on the ice and rollers assuming once you get a bit of a balance it's not such a big real...)

DORISPULASKI
03-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Isn't it more the reverse? The best spread eaglers I can think of have been men (Boitano, Casser, and so forth), while Katarina Witt never managed anything but a butt-eagle, for example, and I'm having trouble thinking of a woman with a really awesome spread eagle among the current group??. Oddly, Flatt has a pretty good one.

TAHbKA
03-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Isn't it more the reverse? The best spread eaglers I can think of have been men (Boitano, Casser, and so forth), while Katarina Witt never managed anything but a butt-eagle, for example, and I'm having trouble thinking of a woman with a really awesome spread eagle among the current group??. Oddly, Flatt has a pretty good one.

I think there is a difference between `easy' and `good' ;)

DORISPULASKI
03-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Too true.

winterchik
03-21-2012, 02:04 PM

The Rhumba Choctaw ...for the male is pretty easy, for the female it's must more difficult element ,to master due to the position and timing going into that element