PDA

View Full Version : Dharun Ravi Found Guilty (of most charges in) Tyler Clementi Case

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

soxxy
03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/03/dharun-ravi-guilty-verdict-tyler-clementi-trial.html

Ravi, whose sentencing is scheduled for May 21, faces up to ten years in prison and could be deported to his native India.

Ravi, 20, was convicted of invasion of privacy, bias intimidation, witness tampering and hindering arrest, stemming from his role in activating the webcam to peek at Clementi's date with a man in the dorm room on Sept. 19, 2010. Ravi was also convicted of encouraging others to spy during a second date, on Sept. 21, 2010, and intimidating Clementi for being gay

http://abcnews.go.com/US/rutgers-trial-dharun-ravi-found-guilty-tyler-clementi/story?id=15922681#.T2OWucUgcpk

Tape of reading of the verdict.

skatesindreams
03-16-2012, 07:03 PM
This was a really awful crime.
I doubt that he will receive the maximum sentence, although he should.
He was offered a very generous plea-bargain, which he didn't accept.
I wonder how he feels about that, now.

genevieve
03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
he was offered two separate plea deals, including one in December that would have meant no jail time and assistance in fighting deportation.

There is a really intense article from the New Yorker (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/02/06/120206fa_fact_parker), published last month. It's long, but worth reading.

Jimena
03-16-2012, 07:39 PM
There is a really intense article from the New Yorker (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/02/06/120206fa_fact_parker), published last month. It's long, but worth reading.

I read that article a few days ago and it made me think that the charges were too harsh. Ravi's an idiot and he comes across like a first class jerk. And he really did seem to tamper with a witness. But there's a lot more nuance to the case than what was reported in the media.

He was a fool to reject the deal.

duane
03-16-2012, 07:42 PM
I never considered this "bullying". Bullying is not a secret crime done without the victim's knowledge. It involves in-your-face mental/physical harassment. Nor do I think years in prison is the right punishment. Some jail time and community service, but not hard prison time.

Personally, I always thought Ravi was a closet homosexual who taped Tyler's sexual encounters for his own personal pleasures.

genevieve
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
there was never any taping done

hydro
03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
I never considered this "bullying". Bullying is not a secret crime done without the victim's knowledge. It involves in-your-face mental/physical harassment. Nor do I think years in prison is the right punishment. Some jail time and community service, but not hard prison time.

I agree, as tormented as Clementi was and how horrific his suicide is to his family and friends, I don't think fault necessarily is with Ravi. Yes, Ravi's actions were dispicable and obscene, and yes, he should be punished. But after reading the NYT's article, the University has a lot of culpability as well. As does Clementi's family.

I wish more attention was paid to Clementi's state of mind and his suicide, instead of Ravi. Pointing the finger at Ravi doesn't really do much. Clementi was obviously hurting and depressed, and couldn't escape that. I think attention and focus should paid to seeking help, aiding in depression, being tolerant and accepting instead of persecuting Ravi.

It's a really sad situation no matter what.

genevieve
03-16-2012, 09:32 PM
what NYTimes article? I haven't read anything that indicates culpability by the school.

hydro
03-16-2012, 10:11 PM
what NYTimes article? I haven't read anything that indicates culpability by the school.

Sorry, meant The New Yorker. Clementi did reach out to the RA and the student affairs offices at the University.

genevieve
03-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Sorry, meant The New Yorker. Clementi did reach out to the RA and the student affairs offices at the University.

I read that article and found nothing that indicates the university is culpable. Clementi reached out right before he committed suicide. They responded.

agalisgv
03-16-2012, 11:19 PM
I thought Clementi reached out earlier, but the school took immediate action. They offered Clementi a new rooming situation, but Clementi declined it.

Not sure how Clementi's family is to blame here either :confused:

soxxy
03-16-2012, 11:22 PM

I'm wondering the same thing.

judiz
03-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Justice was served, Ravi's defense that he was worried about his IPAD disappearing so that's why he set up the webcan was a joke. Take the IPAD with you, ask a friend to hold it for you, hide it in your room. Yeah, Ravi was so worried that Tyler's date was going to steal his stuff that he positioned the webcan at the bed and not on his stuff??? You don't point and turn on a webcan at someone unless you intend to broadcast that person.

Dharun and Tyler were two opposites who never should had been roomed together and it appears neither one made any attempt to get to know the other, Dharun appeared to be scared of homosexuals and Tyler was still coping with coming out. It's sad that none of their friends encouraged the two to talk and get to know each other. Maybe then the two could had learned to co-exist with each other for the first semester and then change rooms.

ks1227
03-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't want to speak for hydro, but s/he may be referring to the fact that Clementi's mom initially did not respond all that well to Clementi's coming out. Or at least, the New Yorker article was a bit ambiguous about this. His mom said, herself, that she had tried to be supportive; but as a gay man and someone who works with lgbtq students, I know that sometimes what a parent understands as being supportive can still be experienced rather traumatically by a gay teen, particularly when the parent comes from a conservative religious space (as the article indicated Clementi's mom did). Clementi himself told someone that his mom had "basically completely rejected" him, according to the NY (though his father was accepting).

That being said, one of the things I most appreciated about the NY article was showing how much more complex this situation was than the quick cable and network news accounts had indicated (or for that matter are still indicating). In fact, some of the things that continue to said about the case are simply note true (e.g., that Ravi taped Clementi having sex with a man). My own belief is that Ravi should not receive the harshest sentence, and I wonder whether he should have been charged with bias intimidation at all. But I'll bet a lot of folks, including a lot of lgbtq folks, who haven't taken the time to look into the details of the case will be outraged if he receives anything less than the harshest sentence.

Very tragic case all around. :(

Cachoo
03-17-2012, 05:26 PM
I read that article a few days ago and it made me think that the charges were too harsh. Ravi's an idiot and he comes across like a first class jerk. And he really did seem to tamper with a witness. But there's a lot more nuance to the case than what was reported in the media.

He was a fool to reject the deal.

It is a conundrum: Like you I agree that he is a jerk and should have taken the deal. If you don't convict then it looks like you condone this sort of bullying. And yet Ravi may have been guilty of a lot of things--I'm not sure he is guilty of these charges. Interesting article...