PDA

View Full Version : Trayvon Martin, unarmed teen killed in own neighborhood

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

jenny12
03-16-2012, 03:17 AM
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/state/trayvon-martins-shooting-turned-over-to-state-attorney

Just wanted to post about this infuriating story about a young, African-American teen who was shot and killed by a neighborhood watch leader. It has been a month and the shooter has still not been arrested because the authorities say there is nothing to disprove the claim of self-defense by the neighborhood watch leader-what about the fact that the teen was unarmed?

4rkidz
03-16-2012, 04:43 AM
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/state/trayvon-martins-shooting-turned-over-to-state-attorney

Just wanted to post about this infuriating story about a young, African-American teen who was shot and killed by a neighborhood watch leader. It has been a month and the shooter has still not been arrested because the authorities say there is nothing to disprove the claim of self-defense by the neighborhood watch leader-what about the fact that the teen was unarmed?

There is a petition going around on facebook about this that I signed.. it's shameful - but hardly surprising when every nutbar in Florida has a gun to begin with.. I think Florida is one of those places i wouldn't want to live if I was African American :shuffle:

milanessa
03-16-2012, 04:52 AM
Sanford is only about 20 minutes from me. Nice little town, we go there a couple of times a month for their restaurants and German grocery store. Lots of community outrage over this - I don't think this is the end of it.

Coco
03-16-2012, 05:13 AM
How can it be self-defense if the shooter approaches the "suspicious" person? Self-defense is when the "threat" approaches you. You can't go up to someone who you think is threatening and then claim self defense. But for you approaching them, they wouldn't even know you where there!

Buzz
03-16-2012, 05:14 AM
My condolences to his friends and family. What do you say to the parents of a murdered child?

MacMadame
03-16-2012, 07:17 AM
I signed the petition too.

This is what infuriates me:

"Police said they have not charged him because there are no grounds to disprove his story of what happened. "

So if you want to get away with murder, call 911 to say someone is suspicious and be sure to shoot him dead so he can't contradict your story!

aliceanne
03-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Were there any witnesses to this killing? It seems so bizarre that no more information has come out. I haven't read anything other than the teen was unarmed and the shooter says it was self defense.

This is what makes me leery of HOAs and gated communities. I know the shooter was Neighborhood Watch, but there always seems to be some overzealous paranoid maniac in these organizations who ends up terrorizing the rest of the community. We started a tenant association in my building to deal with maintenance issues and the organizer went crazy over things that didn't even affect her, calling ASPCA, code enforcement, child protective services etc. Put a gun in her hand, no telling what she might have done.

MacMadame
03-16-2012, 05:29 PM
One of the articles I read said he was a "self-appointed" head of a neighborhood watch. So he may not even have been an official member of the group that works with the police.

jenny12
03-16-2012, 05:39 PM
One of the articles I read said he was a "self-appointed" head of a neighborhood watch. So he may not even have been an official member of the group that works with the police.

That sounds more likely considering how trigger-happy he was. I read that he called the police initially and they told him not to do anything, but obviously he did not follow their advice. Zimmerman was also recorded saying "They always get away" after being asked why he followed Trayvon which, to me, seems like he was already out to get Trayvon that day.

milanessa
03-16-2012, 05:42 PM
He's been described as overzealous in local news reports - noise violations, parking violations, etc. None of that is under the purview of a neighborhood watch volunteer.

duane
03-16-2012, 05:50 PM
I suspect Zimmerman hasn't been arrested because he prevented Martin from terrorizing the gated community with skittles. :rolleyes:

I am beyond outraged by this story.

Buzz
03-16-2012, 06:06 PM
I suspect Zimmerman hasn't been arrested because he prevented Martin from terrorizing the gated community with skittles. :rolleyes:

I am beyond outraged by this story.

Don't forget that he was also amed with a can of iced tea.

skatesindreams
03-16-2012, 06:07 PM
The "shooter" had a "history" with the law.
Even with the liberal carry/concealed weapon/use laws here in FL; why was he allowed to have a gun?
Why would a "neighborhood watch" member ever need a gun.

This whole story is appalling.
I hope that the DA does a better job of investigating/dealing with the case than the police have.
My sympathy to the family of the young man.

Coco
03-17-2012, 05:03 PM
eight 911 tapes have been released.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116323/Familys-anger-police-play-911-tapes-calls-neighbourhood-watch-captain-killed-black-teen.html

PeterG
03-18-2012, 02:23 AM
Don't forget that he was also amed with a can of iced tea.

And I heard that the can of iced tea was loaded, which makes it even scarier!! Those iced tea drinkers are just looking for trouble.

/sarcasm