PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuit being brought against Paula Deen and her brother

Pages : [1] 2 3

Scintillation
03-15-2012, 11:35 PM
I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but a former employee of Paula Deen's is filing a lawsuit against her enterprise. She's accusing them of sexual harassment, racism, etc...

http://www.radaronline.com/sites/radaronline.com/files/Jackson%20v%20Deen%20et%20al%20-%20Complaint.pdf

Paula and her brother have claimed the allegations are false. Whether it's true or not, the complaint is still a fascinating read.

michiruwater
03-16-2012, 08:18 PM
The complaint is a fascinating read. I can't say that any of it is surprising individually, but all put together like that and it's sickening. I didn't respect Deen before, but I definitely think she's a nutter now.

michiruwater
03-16-2012, 08:21 PM
The complaint is a fascinating read. I can't say that any of it is surprising individually, but all put together like that and it's sickening.

Garden Kitty
03-16-2012, 09:11 PM
The complaint is a fascinating read. I can't say that any of it is surprising individually, but all put together like that and it's sickening.

I'm no Paula Deen fan, but it is just one side's argument in the law suit. I suspect the response will describe things differently. It may all be true, but we can't tell that just from one side's filings.

michiruwater
03-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Well, yes, of course that's true. The complaint itself, however, is sickening, if it is true. Nothing I've read of Deen paints a pretty picture.

Scintillation
03-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Paula's claiming this woman was trying to extort her for 1.25 million, so we'll see how it all plays out in court. The way her brother Bubba is described...:yikes: I guess I have a hard time believing someone, in this day and age, could be that much of a racist drunken bastard.

agalisgv
03-16-2012, 11:43 PM
I guess I have a hard time believing someone, in this day and age, could be that much of a racist drunken bastard. He didn't seem at all extraordinary to me (sadly). That type of language isn't really uncommon (again, sadly).

ETA: Here's a bumper sticker that gets out some of the language described in the lawsuit:
The sticker reads "Don't Re-Nig In 2012," in large white type, above smaller text that reads: "Stop repeat offenders. Don't re-elect Obama!"

The offensive design appears to have originated at a site called Stumpy's Stickers, where it can be purchased. The site sells variations on the same idea, including another "Don't Re-Nig" design and a caricature of a black man's face with a missing tooth, a picture of a chimp that reads "Obama 2012," and another with a drawing of several Ku Klux Klan members that reads "The Original Boys In The Hood."

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/crazy-talk-dont-re-nig-bumper-sticker

Scintillation
03-17-2012, 12:21 AM
That is just disgusting.

manleywoman
03-17-2012, 12:33 AM
I've seen pics of the sticker on facebook.

Rex
03-17-2012, 04:20 AM
Why would someone, under the risk of perjury, make up such a story? I hope it isn't true.

skateboy
03-17-2012, 05:15 AM
Interesting read. It appears that "Bubba" is the one Ms. Jackson is going after the most. Other than a few references to some less than classy comments from Paula Deen, there's not all that much mention of her. (I've never been much of a Paula Deen fan myself.)

FiveRinger
03-17-2012, 05:35 AM
I read about this lawsuit the day after she appeared on Oprah about 2 wks ago. She was crying and carrying on about how tragic her life was before she got rich and famous and why she's "like she is." More PR before another storm.

Rex
03-17-2012, 01:13 PM
the more I read it, the more I believe it...

Scintillation
03-17-2012, 03:26 PM
I read excerpts of it to my mom, who immediately believed everything and is now raging that they need to kick Paula off food network. She's ah...well you see where my naive nature comes from. :lol:
A question I do have is why did it take her this long to come forward with this lawsuit? She left Uncle Bubba's about a year and a half ago. Does it usually take that long to file a complaint?

MacMadame
03-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Yes, it does Scintillation. Here in CA, it works like so:

-Your lawyer prepares your complaint
-You file a complaint with some agency with a lot of letters that works jointly with a federal agency with different letters (it's the same office apparently)
-They have a certain amount of time to look at it
-Most of the time they don't look at it but wait until their allotted time is up and then tell you that you can go ahead and sue because they aren't going to investigate
-Then your lawyer prepares the lawsuit brief
-Then you file
-Wait for a court date
-Go to court (if the company doesn't offer to settle out of court)

My employment lawyer told me that it normally takes 1.5-2 years to actually get to the lawsuit filing stage so 18 months sound about right.