PDA

View Full Version : Judges' Favorites

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

geod2
03-14-2012, 07:53 AM
the way she skated here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ089W4WUJI),

Thank you for that link.
I found a youtube version where the 1-2 second delay in the audio is sync'd up correctly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZI1hK9cqoM
(the difference in the audio is obvious when you see/hear her 3Lo landing and the music in each version)

I just love the way she landed the 3Lo exactly, perfectly to the "crash of the music",
and the instant acceleration of her rotation speed in the last 1/3 of her first spin, among other things.
She was selling that SP from beginning to end.

:swoon:
-

lauravvv
03-14-2012, 12:26 PM
And Kostner may be fast as the dickens but I hate her posture (and tendency so stumble around awkwardly).Which doesn't mean that she has bad posture - it's only your personal perception. I, for instance, don't hate her posture - as, I am sure, many other people. In my personal opinion, she is really elegant - in a different way from many others. But that is a part of what makes her Carolina Kostner.

"Stumbling around" :confused: :rolleyes:? I do remember a couple of stumbles, but it's very far from chronic stumbling around. Other skaters stumble from time to time as well. Ice is slippery, as we know - even for skaters. So, that can't be described as some specific trait of hers.

So, one more example of biased - only this time not from a judge :rolleyes: :shuffle:.

Aussie Willy
03-14-2012, 12:35 PM
"Stumbling around" :confused: :rolleyes:? I do remember a couple of stumbles, but it's very far from chronic stumbling around. Other skaters stumble from time to time as well. Ice is slippery, as we know - even for skaters. So, that can't be described as some specific trait of hers.

It can happen to the best of them. Makes us recreational skaters feel quite normal.

Tanja90
03-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Did you actually watch Lepistö's programs? Or anyone else's?

Lepistö was one of only four women to land three fully rotated triple jumps in the Short Program (the others being Makarova, Hecken, and Glebova). It's true she did only three triples in the Free Skate, but she got positive GOE on every element in the program, which is more than can be said of four of the five skaters who finished ahead of her in that segment.

Laura Lepisto shouldn't have won the bronze in 2010...She did well in the short (even if she had some mistakes) but the free was a disaster...not in terms of cleaness but in terms of technical content...only three triple jumps and two of them were toeloop..I was in the arena and we were like: uh? :confused:
She was ahead in the short but the overall score wasn' a point from the fourth one (Miki Ando) and Miki deserved the medal for how she skated IMO

Then again, it easy to skate clean and have positive GOES if you're doing only double jumps...

PashaFan
03-14-2012, 04:26 PM
I think the way Kostner skates is part of her charm. Sometimes she looks like she is making it up as she goes (I like that).
Lepisto winning Bronze in 2010 still makes me cross. I like Lepisto & think she is very nice to watch but I watched the top four the other day & she fell apart yet Miki skated clean. It was a bad decision IMO.
On the subject of Plushenko being judges favourite, I have watched him since the very start of his career & being a Yagudin fan I guess in the the early day's I was quite upset when the judges held him up.
Year's later I can now watch him & understand what an amazing talent he is.
BUT the BIG problem I have with Plushenko is how he treats ISU skating.
He is like an unfaithful husband who goes off & has affairs with other women (Skating shows, media) then when he get's bored or wants to raise his profile again (In case we forget him) he returns. Skates okay, wins (Comes back to the loyal wife) then leaves again.
Plushenko needs skating, skating does not need Plushenko.
I WANT A DIVORCE:lol:

RFOS
03-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Lepisto winning Bronze in 2010 still makes me cross. I like Lepisto & think she is very nice to watch but I watched the top four the other day & she fell apart yet Miki skated clean. It was a bad decision IMO.

Miki was ahead by 7.72 points in the free skate (and 9.40 points on the technical mark), but she was very lackluster in the SP and was in 11th place following that segment, while Lepisto was 3rd. Between the two programs I don't feel like anyone made a great case for bronze, and Lepisto did just barely enough to hold on based on the SP, by placing 6th in the FS. The results were very, very close overall and certainly debatable.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/index.htm

orientalplane
03-14-2012, 04:35 PM
I like Lepisto & think she is very nice to watch but I watched the top four the other day & she fell apart yet Miki skated clean. It was a bad decision IMO.

I love Miki but she made a hash of her SP and finished 11th. That's why she couldn't catch Lepisto in the FS, despite skating clean.

ETA: RFOS got in before me. :)

PashaFan
03-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I agree about Miki in the short programe but if you put both the short & free of Miki & Laura back to back I think Miki just edged it.
I also don't think Kim was as close to Mao as the judges showed.

mia joy
03-14-2012, 05:13 PM
It's true she did only three triples in the Free Skate, but she got positive GOE on every element in the program, which is more than can be said of four of the five skaters who finished ahead of her in that segment.

isn't it easier to get a positive GOE for a double jump than for a triple, though?

And if you absolutely hate the way she skated here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ089W4WUJI), maybe you should stop watching figure skating and start watching some other sport like rhythmic gymnastics. Most fans of figure skating would call it "eye-pleasing."

This is quite offensive, really. Just because I don't like a particular skater's style doesn't mean I can't appreciate figure skating.
The problem I have with Laura is actually in the commentary in this vid - "she's very straight back, her posture is very evident when you watch her skate" - well for me, too much. All I see watching her is this bloody straight back, which also makes her head go back in a strange way and her arm movements stiff and ugly. I agree she has good "blade across the ice" quality, but her upper body is a disaster.

Lastly, why do you refer to women in their twenties as "girls"? Whether you intend it to be or not, it's very demeaning.

are you serious? :lol:
I'm in my twenties (almost exactly Lepisto's age actually) and I have no problem with people calling me a girl, so that's how I refer to people my age. I'm pretty sure Carolina and Laura wouldn't mind, so don't make such a big deal out of it.

ciocio
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
He is like an unfaithful husband who goes off & has affairs with other women (Skating shows, media) then when he get's bored or wants to raise his profile again (In case we forget him) he returns. Skates okay, wins (Comes back to the loyal wife) then leaves again.
Plushenko needs skating, skating does not need Plushenko.
I WANT A DIVORCE:lol:

OMG!!!! Plushy has an affair with his own wife? And with Marton and Dima Bilan too? :drama::plush::plush::lol:

VALuvsMKwan
03-14-2012, 06:14 PM
OMG!!!! Plushy has an affair with his own wife? And with Marton and Dima Bilan too? :drama::plush::plush::lol:

Should we get him together in an explosion-protected room with Morosov and see if they might cancel each other out like matter and anti-matter? ;)

Zokko!
03-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Kwan. Period.

Oh, and Chan, Lysacek, Plushenko ... :shuffle:

Tanja90
03-14-2012, 08:16 PM
I also don't think Kim was as close to Mao as the judges showed.

Totally agree. Mao should have won the LP by a huge margin! There's no way that Kim should have won the free with that sloppy skate she delivered...I always though she was judges little girl..:rolleyes:

MrLucky
03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
quality of blades moving across ice? Judges love that

But does it go too far when judges apparently love/reward butts sliding across the ice? :(

RFOS
03-15-2012, 03:51 PM
But does it go too far when judges apparently love/reward butts sliding across the ice? :(

:rolleyes: Butts sliding across the ice are never rewarded. They are penalized with a 1 point deduction, and a required negative GOE for the element (if they occur on an element).