PDA

View Full Version : Good Movies in Spanish?

Pages : [1] 2

GarrAarghHrumph
03-13-2012, 02:22 AM
Hi, All:

My Spanish professor has asked us to watch a movie in Spanish. Since I don't know many movies in Spanish, I thought I'd ask here and have people recommend films they really like, which are in Spanish and generally available.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of Pan's Labyrinth, but I welcome other suggestions.

Sparks
03-13-2012, 02:36 AM
Like Water For Chocolate!

Jimena
03-13-2012, 02:44 AM
What do you like?

Some good ones: Amores Perros, Hable con Ella, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Belle Epoque, Que se Mueran los Feos, La Historia Oficial, La Misma Luna, Como Agua para Chocolate (Like Water for Chocolate), La Lengua de las Mariposas (sometimes called Butterfly Tongues or Butterfly), El Secreto de sus Ojos, Hijo de la Novia, Y Tu Mama Tambien, The Motorcycle Diaries, Maria Full of Grace, Volver...

I can keep going. It really depends on what you like.

LadyNit
03-13-2012, 02:46 AM
Carlos Saura's flamenco Carmen. :swoon:

oleada
03-13-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm going to second a lot of Jimena's recs:

Maria Full of Grace
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Amores Perros
Hable con Ella
El Secreto de tus Ojos
El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth)
El Orfanato

IceAlisa
03-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Y Tu Mama Tambien

I learned quite a bit of new Spanish in that one. ;) Great movie.

Aussie Willy
03-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Anything by Pedro Almodovar.

antmanb
03-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Agreed - anything by Almodovar. My favourite film of his is Todo Sobre Mi Madre.

In the more comedy/farce style I really liked Reinas which is set around the first gay civil unions being performed in Spain.

I'd echo Oleada's suggestion of el Orfanato but it is a horror/ghost story. If you are prone to jumping at films this one will make you jump. I may have jumped in the cinema when i watched this and kicked the chair of the person in front of me who then jumped and screamed causing more jumps :rofl:

Zemgirl
03-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Y Tu Mama Tambien, and as others have mentioned, just about anything by Almodovar. I also like Alejandro Amenábar.

Your professor should assign you telenovelas as viewing material - not exactly high concept stuff, but they can be an effective learning tool ;)

Karina1974
03-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Your professor should assign you telenovelas as viewing material - not exactly high concept stuff, but they can be an effective learning tool ;)

Yeah, like if you want to learn how to over-act.

GarrAarghHrumph
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Y Tu Mama Tambien, and as others have mentioned, just about anything by Almodovar. I also like Alejandro Amenábar.

He specifically said "No Telenovellas". :lol:

Zemgirl
03-13-2012, 01:38 PM
He specifically said "No Telenovellas". :lol:
I can see why, as the vocabulary can get kind of, shall we say, repetitive? :D

You'll learn all sorts of interesting things from Y Tu Mama Tambien.

Artemis@BC
03-13-2012, 04:01 PM
I personally thought Y Tu Mama Tambien was nothing more than an adolescent boy's masturbatory fantasy and the most over-rated foreing language film I've ever seen. :slinkaway

Ones I would add to the list, though, are Volver (completely fabulous in every way -- and speaking of Pedro Almodóvar), and Che (the 1st part only; part 2 is meh).

Oh, just remembered another one from Chile from a couple of years ago: The Maid. It's a little weird, but in a good way.

Mayra
03-13-2012, 04:24 PM
To add a few more into the mix:

El Crimen del Padre Amaro (LOVE Gael Garcia Bernal)
Sexo, Pudor y Lagrimas

Jimena
03-13-2012, 05:09 PM
I hated El Crimen del Padre Amaro. The Maid is good. And Volver is fantastic.