PDA

View Full Version : Two-time Men's Olympic Champion challenges credibility of World F.S. Hall of Fame

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Visaliakid
03-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Dick Button to boycott his vote for World Figure Skating Hall of Fame 2012 nominees: Open Letter Challenges HOF leadership on lack of transparency and integrity.

Read his open letter to World Figure Skating Hall of Fame leadership published this morning at Blazing Blades (http://kwantifiable.xanga.com/759751532/two-time-mens-olympic-champion-challenges-credibility-of-world-figure-skating-hall-of-fame/).

BigB08822
03-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Oh, snap! Gotta love him. His point about Bianchetti is shocking. Sounds like they took her off for personal reasons or to favor someone else, she nearly won last year!

~tapdancer~
03-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Interesting read. I have no informed knowledge of his complaints but they sound like legitimate concerns.

Visaliakid
03-11-2012, 04:39 PM
This decision by Mr. Button not only is based on solid facts (which he explains in his letter), but it must be painful for him in that he wants to vote for Michelle Kwan's election to the WHOF as well as the other nominees. He also made it clear in an aside to me that this not in direct support of Sonia Bianchetti's apparent blackballing from being nominated, but rather having more to do with the WHOF's leadership arbitrary decision making on how nominations are handled and improper procedures followed.

I admire Mr. Button's courage and conviction to stand up publicly on these issues. He is really challenging the USFSA connection to the World Hall of Fame and all the corrupting politics it brings with it.

I encourage everyone to read this. Kudos to Mr. Button!

bek
03-11-2012, 04:59 PM
The World Hall of Fame should not be run by the USFSA and I've always questioned it when a team like G/P is not in it.

skatesindreams
03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
I admire his stance on this.
I hope that it leads to whatever changes need to be made to assure a fair/transparent nomination and election process.

I also hope that it will not affect the election of any worthy nominees this year.

barbk
03-11-2012, 05:21 PM
He certainly hasn't lost any of his writing or analytical skills. I hope there is some action on this.

nuge
03-11-2012, 05:58 PM
The World Hall of Fame should not be run by the USFSA and I've always questioned it when a team like G/P is not in it.

Do you mean Grishuk/Platov ? if so that's shocking :mad:

MR-FAN
03-11-2012, 06:10 PM
I Effin LOVE Him. He's the only one who's opinion can set the figure skating "politicians" straight. I love how informed he is, and how articulate the letter is for someone in his 80s

His concerns had better be addressed, and publicly!

bardtoob
03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
I think it is shocking that Sonia Bianchetti, who wrote a majority of the ISU's technical references for singles and pairs (co-authored with Moskovina), fell off the list so easily after receiving 48% of the vote the previous year for, apparently, no specific reason. She was also an Olympic, World, and ISU International level judge and the first woman to hold top tier offices in the ISU.

Karpenko
03-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Once he passes, Dick Button will forever be remembered as the most influential person in the history of figure skating. He's devoted his entire life to it and has inspired so many people (like me) to take an interest in figure skating based on his passion through his commentary. He's smart, passionate, cooooky, and completely nuts at times, but he knows his stuff better than all of us on this board put together and is one of the only ones ballsy enough to stand up for the integrity of skating. :respec:

kwanfan1818
03-11-2012, 06:40 PM
He wasn't exactly accountable to anything but his own taste in choosing the competitors for his own "World" Professional Championships.

crzesk8dad
03-11-2012, 06:50 PM
He wasn't exactly accountable to anything but his own taste in choosing the competitors for his own "World" Professional Championships.

But, he paid for it. The Golden Rule applied: He who has the gold, makes the rules.

skatesindreams
03-11-2012, 06:50 PM
For many years the skaters participating regarded the World Pro as the one of the most important things they did.
There were many performances deserving to be cherished and remembered.

Vash01
03-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Yes, it is shocking that Grishchuk-Plaotv (2 time Olympic champions, 4 time world champions) are not in the world FS HOF. It should not be run by the USFSA. It truly needs to be a WORLD HOF, with all parts of the world (not necessarily every country) represented on it.