PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

nubka
03-12-2012, 05:04 PM
You can hope all you want, but if she does have a serious injury, all the "slaps in the face" in the world aren't going to change her jumping ability that quickly................

If she does have a serious injury, she should withdraw and let a healthy skater compete... :shuffle:

Sparks
03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Vegan icecream probably. It's soy-based or tofu-based and it's actually pretty healthy. She was a vegetarian before but now she is a vegan, I've read it in a few articles, so she obviously takes it seriously.

Jeeze! Please learn the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian!

UMBS Go Blue
03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Chiming into this discussion late as I haven't read everything upthread, but I wanted to say that this particular recording of "Valse Triste" isn't exactly an uplifting selection for her, if inspiration and self-confidence is at all an issue. (For example, somehow I remember Virtue/Moir's recording being a bit faster in tempo and slightly more upbeat in character.)

From my perspective in the audience at SA and at Nats, Valse Triste feels like it's a funeral on ice. And, from a spectator's (and potentially judge's) perspective, when combined with the relative lack of choreographed movements, the excessively tense, drawn-out nature of the music only enhances her perceived tendency to telegraph and/or delay her jumps as long as possible, instead of attacking and going all out.

It's probably too late in Alissa's career for her to remake herself in, say, a Katarina Witt-like sex symbol coming out onto the ice in a leather bodysuit skating to heavy metal, but all I've got to say is that Valse Triste probably does her no favors psychologically, and, packaging-wise, sends her further into a choreographic and stylistic hole.

RD
03-12-2012, 05:45 PM
It's probably too late in Alissa's career for her to remake herself in, say, a Katarina Witt-like sex symbol coming out onto the ice in a leather bodysuit skating to heavy metal, but all I've got to say is that Valse Triste probably does her no favors psychologically, and, packaging-wise, sends her further into a choreographic and stylistic hole.

:lol: I don't know her or anything, but from what I can see she definitely does NOT strike me as that type.

I think she tried loosening up a little in one routine she did at an SOI show I went to. While it worked fine for a gala, I'm not sure it would appear comfortable for her as a competition routine. And if you're not comfortable, it shows...and we all know even with the status quo, confidence is not her strong suit, at least on the ice.

Perhaps she should have brought back last year's FS, but of course it's far too late to do anything now.

pinky166
03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Jeeze! Please learn the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian!

Vegan is vegetarian plus no eggs and no lactose. They make lactose free, egg free "ice cream" which is what Alissa likely eats. Ever heard of tofutti cuties or soy dream? Both are vegan "ice creams".

Sparks
03-12-2012, 07:10 PM
I still haven't seen anything that confirms Alissa is a vegan.

geod2
03-12-2012, 07:41 PM
this particular recording of "Valse Triste" isn't exactly an uplifting selection for her, if inspiration and self-confidence is at all an issue. (For example, somehow I remember Virtue/Moir's recording being a bit faster in tempo and slightly more upbeat in character.)

From my perspective in the audience at SA and at Nats, Valse Triste feels like it's a funeral on ice. And, from a spectator's (and potentially judge's) perspective, when combined with the relative lack of choreographed movements, the excessively tense, drawn-out nature of the music only enhances her perceived tendency to telegraph and/or delay her jumps as long as possible, instead of attacking and going all out.
all I've got to say is that Valse Triste probably does her no favors psychologically, and, packaging-wise, sends her further into a choreographic and stylistic hole.

This is an insight that has gotten little attention at FSU other than a random comment or two here and there IIRC.
I've brought it up myself, calling Alissa's LP mediocre and boring, but not with the additional thought that it might affect her jumps.
Maybe it allows the time for Alissa to think too much .....not a good thing?

I do notice that, during her long traverse across the ice leading up to a jump, I say to myself "For crying out loud, Alissa, jump already!!".

To sell it to the audience and judges, you have to sell it to yourself first.
I can't understand what she and her coaches ever thought was inspiring about this music and choreography.

:confused:

overedge
03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I can't understand what she and her coaches ever thought was inspiring about this music and choreography.

It's really beautiful music that she obviously enjoys skating to?

UMBS Go Blue
03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
She sure doesn't look like she's enjoying it one bit out there. Even if she is, she doesn't appear to be selling it.

Sparks
03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
It's really beautiful music that she obviously enjoys skating to?
Now don't get reasonable here. :P

sk9tingfan
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
She sure doesn't look like she's enjoying it one bit out there. Even if she is, she doesn't appear to be selling it.

Whenever I hear Valse Triste, I tend to think of Johnny Weir's SP to the same music and how he and the choreography were able to sell it. Not a funeral dirge in sight! Alissa, as many have pointed out, not so much.

victoriaheidi
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
This is an insight that has gotten little attention at FSU other than a random comment or two here and there IIRC.
I've brought it up myself, calling Alissa's LP mediocre and boring, but not with the additional thought that it might affect her jumps.
Maybe it allows the time for Alissa to think too much .....not a good thing?

I do notice that, during her long traverse across the ice leading up to a jump, I say to myself "For crying out loud, Alissa, jump already!!".

To sell it to the audience and judges, you have to sell it to yourself first.

I'm with you two. It's not my choice at all. She needs to skate to happy-ish stuff. Like, it doesn't have to be outrightly happy, but the down and depressed routine ain't workin' for her.

I'm also not completely convinced that the music she skates to shouldn't have a moderate tempo. Something where we can get past the "jump already!" speed.

taf2002
03-12-2012, 08:10 PM
I appreciate the insight into Alissa's psyche & into her training regimen & diet. I didn't realize so many people here know Alissa so intimately. And that so many are trained dieticians. You learn so much at FSU.

leafygreens
03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Chiming into this discussion late as I haven't read everything upthread, but I wanted to say that this particular recording of "Valse Triste" isn't exactly an uplifting selection for her, if inspiration and self-confidence is at all an issue. (For example, somehow I remember Virtue/Moir's recording being a bit faster in tempo and slightly more upbeat in character.)

Can't agree more - I have never liked Valse Triste, and it's made even more boring with the white dress. It's such downtrodden music, like Kimmie's FS in 2007 or V/M Mahler. La Vie En Rose is much more Alissa's style. I think when the audience is lifted up with you, you probably perform better. Otherwise you're spending too much energy trying to "sell it" to the viewers instead of thinking about your skating.

UMBS Go Blue
03-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Not to mention how the music just dulled the audience at SA and Nats into being deathly silent. The whole atmosphere was seriously funereal. I was half expecting grim reapers to walk out onto the ice with scythes and a coffin.

I realize all of these thoughts are from our perspectives as barely knowledgeable fans, but if you're the skater out there, the lack of energy from the audience should be obvious and must affect your performance execution at least somewhat. Slightly less palpable: the fact that, through those long, nervous pauses in Valse Triste before her jumps, the audience is really staring at you silently, literally holding their breath, and just waiting for you to fall so they can release all that nervous tension with a huge sigh and a big "Awwwwwwwwww...."

(And, by the way, I lurrrrrrve Alissa :swoon: so it pains me to see her fall short of her full potential.)