PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33

smarts1
04-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Really? You guys really think this should have been up there with the top contenders?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLK_PE1vHGA

Because I don't see it. She has a great FS, but pretty much everything else is lacking and besides that some of her jumping technique is not that great (not that I'm saying Czisny's is much better).

RD
04-03-2012, 03:07 AM
I honestly would have had Alissa 5th. Gao skated 2 good programs and Zawadzki's lead from the SP should have kept her over Alissa overall

You SERIOUSLY would have Zawadzki over Czisny? Zawadzki FS was even worse than Czisny's! In fact, she should have probably been 4th, behind Wagner, Czisny and Zhang.

brightphoton
04-03-2012, 03:28 AM
RD, are you being intentionally dense again by not reading the posts that follow yours? People think Caroline Zhang should have been the silver medalist, not Agnes Z.

smarts1
04-03-2012, 03:28 AM
... RD, are you referring to me? Because I never said anything like that...

victoriaheidi
04-03-2012, 03:29 AM
I would have had it 1. Ashley 2. Caroline 3. Alissa 4. Christina 5. Agnes (I think, but I'm not sure)

ETA: regarding RD, someone had Zawadzki in 3 and Czisny in 4.

doubleflutz
04-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Really? You guys really think this should have been up there with the top contenders?

In the free skate? Yeah. That's way more jumping content than pretty much any other senior lady at the event pulled off, and it's not like any of the top girls except Ashley had a very choreographically complex program, either. Her ice coverage wasn't the best, but I'd still give that higher TR and CH marks than the empty junk Czisny has been putting out all season.

Because I don't see it. She has a great FS, but pretty much everything else is lacking and besides that some of her jumping technique is not that great (not that I'm saying Czisny's is much better).

I wouldn't give her Yuna level GOE on her jumps, but the base value alone is worth something. Footwork into 3LZ-3T, even with going all crooked like that and having to save the toe, is pretty darn impressive. That 2A was pretty small, but the Ina into it was very impressive. Her jumps aren't huge, but for the most part they're not actually small, and there isn't a huge set up for most of them, and most have transitions going into or out of them, too. Most had decent landing edges. The edges on both flip and lutz looked fine to me. Under COP, that's what's important.

carriemarie
04-03-2012, 03:31 AM

Agreed- I do think she could start the "Kwan makeover" stage of her career and could be a force soon...I do think her jumps are solid

brightphoton
04-03-2012, 03:32 AM
I would have Nationals as

Ashley Wagner
Caroline Zhang
Christina Gao
Rachael Flatt
Mirai Nagasu/Agnes Z/Alissa Czisny

and I don't remember anyone else.

RD
04-03-2012, 04:18 AM
... RD, are you referring to me? Because I never said anything like that...

My bad, I forgot the quote.

No, it wasn't you. The response was actually to Pinky's post.

pinky166
04-03-2012, 05:32 AM
You SERIOUSLY would have Zawadzki over Czisny? Zawadzki FS was even worse than Czisny's! In fact, she should have probably been 4th, behind Wagner, Czisny and Zhang.

Zawadzki's FS was slightly worse than Alissa's, but her SP was MUCH better, the 3 point margin she had over Czisny should have been more like 8 points, and her FS wasn't that much worse, IIRC she had 3 clean triples, like Alissa.

5Ali3
04-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Reading through the past few pages of comments on PCS, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in an off-season "FSU Judges' School" on program components. Interest? No interest? Any requests for other off-season "FSU Judges' School" or "FSU Technical School" topics?

acraven
04-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Reading through the past few pages of comments on PCS, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in an off-season "FSU Judges' School" on program components. Interest? No interest? Any requests for other off-season "FSU Judges' School" or "FSU Technical School" topics?

Absolutely! I, personally, also need help with pairs technical elements.

dinakt
04-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Actually, that sounds terrific. I would love to learn the system more in detail in the off- season.

victoriaheidi
04-03-2012, 06:28 PM

Oh, my gosh, totally. Truth be told, I'd love some FSU Tech School. Like, even really basic stuff--I mix up jumps sometimes! But I'd especially love to learn more about scoring...tons of interest right here!

kwanatic
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Agreed- I do think she could start the "Kwan makeover" stage of her career and could be a force soon...I do think her jumps are solid

ITA. She's not there yet but her jumps are very solid, she has good speed and attack and there's a spark about her that (with the right choreography and packaging) could really bloom into a star. Her technical content was superior to nearly all of the top finishers but it's not just about jumps. Her presentation isn't bad but it needs some work; maturity is okay but needs work; lines, flow, performance, etc. are all solid but not star quality...yet.

I could definitely see her being a contender in another year or two though...