PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33

doubleflutz
04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
She earned her trip to worlds over other skaters and its too bad for the US and her that she had a bad day.

No, she didn't. The judging at Nationals was a joke. She was held up, plain and simple, just like Rachael was held up the year before. She didn't "earn" this Worlds trip at all.

museksk8r
04-02-2012, 09:52 PM
In hindsight, the USFSA should have had a private skateoff between Caroline Zhang and Alissa Czisny after 4CC to determine the 2nd spot. Zhang had already shown significant improvement at Nationals and then she won bronze at 4CC, beating Agnes there (and I actually think she should have beat Agnes at Nationals too after Zawadzki's disappointing LP skate), so that probably could have been taken into consideration since Czisny didn't win Nationals and had been struggling with the injury during and after the GPF.

fenway2
04-02-2012, 09:58 PM
No, she didn't. The judging at Nationals was a joke. She was held up, plain and simple, just like Rachael was held up the year before. She didn't "earn" this Worlds trip at all. This ^ The USFS only has themselves to blame for holding her up in 09 and 12.She was even held up in 06 when Stephanie Rosenthal should have been on the world junior team instead.

Cheylana
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I agree that Alissa has told the world that she has "absolutely no clue why x, y and z" happened too many times. At least make up something! She needs to have an answer to that question.
She probably has at least some idea of why things went badly, but she's not ready to talk about it yet. She can't really say "I don't want to talk about it," so I guess the fallback is "I don't know why it happened."

Alissa looked ill to me. The shadows under her eyes couldn't be covered up. It could be stress or nerves causing lack of sleep. But I wonder if down the road we will learn of some health issue facing her or someone she is close to, didn't her sister battle cancer a few seasons ago? I hope that she takes some time off and allows her body to heal physically and emotionally from this stressful season. Because bottom line this is just skating and her health is more important than placements.
^^ Yup. More than anything, I just hope Alissa is ok. :(

demetriosj
04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
She probably has at least some idea of why things went badly, but she's not ready to talk about it yet. She can't really say "I don't want to talk about it," so I guess the fallback is "I don't know why it happened."

^^ Yup. More than anything, I just hope Alissa is ok. :(

I hope she is ok too.

but so tired of people treating her like some precious breakable china doll who is so delicate, sensitive, etc. we have to be careful, blah, blah, blah etc.

yet they'll trash Flatt, Zhang, Mirai, Zawadzki, Lam etc.etc., and that's acceptable?

victoriaheidi
04-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I hope she is ok too.

but so tired of people treating her like some precious breakable china doll who is so delicate, sensitive, etc. we have to be careful, blah, blah, blah etc.

yet they'll trash Flatt, Zhang, Mirai, Zawadzki, Lam etc.etc., and that's acceptable?

Truth be told, I feel like the kid gloves treatment of Alissa is counterproductive--it furthers the view that all she can do is play the pretty princess.

I love Alissa. I hope she's ok, and I hope she can move on from this.

But I totally agree. Why was it ok to dump on Rachael last year but not Alissa this year? Not that I want to dump on anyone.

Triple Butz
04-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Truth be told, I feel like the kid gloves treatment of Alissa is counterproductive--it furthers the view that all she can do is play the pretty princess.

I love Alissa. I hope she's ok, and I hope she can move on from this.

But I totally agree. Why was it ok to dump on Rachael last year but not Alissa this year? Not that I want to dump on anyone.

You have to remember that FSU is a large place with many posters. It isn't necessarily the same people who dumped Rachael who are coddling Alissa this year. There were also many people, even skaters who came to Flatt's defense last year. Then there are people like me, who are disappointed in them both. :D

RD
04-02-2012, 11:37 PM
I hope she is ok too.

Took the words out of my mouth!

smarts1
04-03-2012, 12:27 AM
No, she didn't. The judging at Nationals was a joke. She was held up, plain and simple, just like Rachael was held up the year before. She didn't "earn" this Worlds trip at all.

I don't know why people keep on saying that. Held up over who? Agnes? Because the last time I checked Agnes had an even more dreadful LP at Nationals than Alissa did. And on top of that, it didn't help that Agnes didn't do well at 4CC either.

Nationals was pretty subpar this year, minus Caroline and Ashley.

rvi5
04-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Ouch! Just saw Alissa's skate. It reminded me of Elladj Balde's LP meltdown at Skate Canada 2011. He was able to bounce back, hopefully Alissa will too.

jlai
04-03-2012, 12:51 AM
I don't know why people keep on saying that. Held up over who? Agnes? Because the last time I checked Agnes had an even more dreadful LP at Nationals than Alissa did. And on top of that, it didn't help that Agnes didn't do well at 4CC either.

For one thing, Angela Wang's free should have beaten half of the girls in the final flight. But she is not a name skater; she skated early, so she must get low PCS and "wait her turn".

US Nationals is one event where the LP skating order matters a LOT. (More so than worlds or 4CC)

smarts1
04-03-2012, 01:00 AM
^Yeah, because us FSUers would have been fine with Angela going to Worlds, moreso than sending Alissa there...

doubleflutz
04-03-2012, 01:17 AM

Caroline, and as someone else said, Angela Wang. I remember thinking there was someone else in the short who was overlooked, but not who. At any rate, I thought Caroline was better than Alissa in both segments of the competition, even taking the downgrade into account.

I actually thought Agnes was overscored massively in the short. She's just sooooooo sloooooooooooooow and her basics and spins are not good at all. I thought the judges went hog wild with her PCS in the short, and she was still held up a bit in the long.

So, in terms of the final results, I would have had #1 Ashley, #2 Caroline, and probably Angela Wang #3, with Agnes second alternate at best and Alissa not even in the medals.

pinky166
04-03-2012, 01:26 AM
Caroline should have been 2nd at Nationals, I honestly would have had Alissa 5th. Gao skated 2 good programs and Zawadzki's lead from the SP should have kept her over Alissa overall - Alissa getting 63 for her SP with that messy single axel was just not right, and then her FS wasn't good, huge mistakes on both lutzes, and she only attempted 5 triples to begin with. 3rd place was debateable but that's the absolute highest she should have reasonably placed at nationals. Alissa placing 2nd in the FS especially was a complete joke, she clearly should have been 6th in that segment, behind Ashley, Caroline, Rachel, Christina, and Angela who all skated really strong FS programs. Her FS was not much better than Mirai honestly and Mirai got hammered by the judging panel and yet Alissa didn't.

carriemarie
04-03-2012, 02:49 AM
THIS ^^^^:shuffle: