PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33

aliceanne
04-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Alissa needs to turn off her cell phone and take a nice long vacation somewhere where no one has ever heard of figure skating.

DickButtonFan
04-02-2012, 02:00 AM
Alissa needs to turn off her cell phone and take a nice long vacation somewhere where no one has ever heard of figure skating.

the united states? :D

Anyway, if her problem is nerves still I really don't know how she's going to get over it in the future since she still hasn't figured it out. It's really a shame, she's a lovely skater.

IceAlisa
04-02-2012, 02:21 AM
the united states? :D

Exactly. May I suggest the US (or the British) Virgin Islands? The general public barely knows Michelle Kwan, let alone Alissa.

ProgramerUSFS
04-02-2012, 02:38 AM
I think it's a bit disingenuous to construe her comment about not knowing what happened as "shrugging her shoulders." It was obvious that she was crushed by what happened, not shrugging it off.

I reject the idea that Czisny "humiliated her country." She may have humiliated herself, but she didn't humiliate me or anyone else just by virtue of citizenship. That kind of ridiculous nationalism in skating only puts more unnecessary pressure on skaters who, for whatever reason, lack confidence (which has obviously been true for a long time for both Czisny and Abbott, whatever else might have been going on with them and whatever else we might think about Jason and Yuka's strengths and weaknesses as coaches with fragile students).

I think this is a very unfair statement. It is true that she has had nerve issues in the past, but her new coaches took care of that. It proved that under the right care, and with attention to nurturing the skater, she performed. She earned her trip to worlds over other skaters and its too bad for the US and her that she had a bad day. I don't know about any of you, but that entire group from detroit looked very distracted by something. Jeremy and Adam also did not skate the way they have been skating this year. I feel bad, because they are all great skaters, and they should all take a good vacation, and come back stronger then ever next year. I would hate to see the greatest female spinner of all times retire. Thats my two cents.

Jemestone
04-02-2012, 03:07 AM
I think this is a very unfair statement. It is true that she has had nerve issues in the past, but her new coaches took care of that. It proved that under the right care, and with attention to nurturing the skater, she performed. She earned her trip to worlds over other skaters and its too bad for the US and her that she had a bad day. I don't know about any of you, but that entire group from detroit looked very distracted by something. Jeremy and Adam also did not skate the way they have been skating this year. I feel bad, because they are all great skaters, and they should all take a good vacation, and come back stronger then ever next year. I would hate to see the greatest female spinner of all times retire. Thats my two cents.

She had a bad day? Are you sure it was just one bad day? :rolleyes:

And how many times has Adam not been sub par this season? And to think, everyone thought that Ross shouldn't have been on the team last year when he had better overall skating and placement at last year Worlds as a rookie. In fact Dornbush and Miner did better together [9th and 11th] than Jeremy and Adam [8th and 13th] our supposed dream team :rolleyes:

Seerek
04-02-2012, 03:33 AM
That's the thing... I understand about hindsight and all, but Alissa's poor long programs stemmed from December's Grand Prix Final - in fact, the three Ladies medalists from GPF also ended up on the podium at Worlds. I think the expectation for form to be regained in time for Worlds was a little too hopeful.

RD
04-02-2012, 04:02 AM
Even BEFORE GPF she was shaky. But the GPF was the nail in the coffin, apparently. In hindsight I'm not even sure how she was able to hang on like she did at Nationals. Every other competition since the GPF was a total disaster for her.

ks1227
04-02-2012, 10:03 AM

:confused: :confused:

What was "unfair" in what I said? Please be specific.

I certainly agree with you that Czisny earned her spot, and I also do NOT want to see her retire, unless she wants to, which I actually hope is not the case. I'm a huge fan of Czisny, by the way; and I think a lot of the things that are being said about her are unfair (which was the whole point of my post). I would love to see her on a World Championship podium.

Czisny, Abbott and Rippon are all beautiful skaters when they're on top of their game. They have also always been very fragile skaters when it comes to competition. Some of them have even admitted it, for example Abbott. I give their coaches lots of credit for helping Czisny with her nerves last season, and for trying to help other skaters with consistency issues. I think the jury is still out on whether or not their coaching methods with inconsistent skaters are working over the long term. Czisny's performances this season (ALL season) have been worse than last year. And I don't see any changes for the better or the worse with Abbott and Rippon. They're no more or less inconsistent than they've ever been. But they certainly haven't improved.

arakwafan2006
04-02-2012, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=ks1227;3534623]I think it's a bit disingenuous to construe her comment about not knowing what happened as "shrugging her shoulders." It was obvious that she was crushed by what happened, not shrugging it off.

Her comment is what was disingenuous. If at this point in her career she still has no clue what happens when she body slams herselp onto the ice then its clear she has no business out there. The world championships is not a recital. Its far more significant.

One thing is for sure. Jason D. will probably take whatever events the USFSA gives his skater in 2013 should she decide to persue competitive skating. At the end of the day, arguably the BEST skater in the whole event turned in whats arguably the WORST performance ever...:yikes:

victoriaheidi
04-02-2012, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=ks1227;3534623]I think it's a bit disingenuous to construe her comment about not knowing what happened as "shrugging her shoulders." It was obvious that she was crushed by what happened, not shrugging it off.

Her comment is what was disingenuous. If at this point in her career she still has no clue what happens when she body slams herselp onto the ice then its clear she has no business out there. The world championships is not a recital. Its far more significant.

One thing is for sure. Jason D. will probably take whatever events the USFSA gives his skater in 2013 should she decide to persue competitive skating. At the end of the day, arguably the BEST skater in the whole event turned in whats arguably the WORST performance ever...:yikes:

I agree that Alissa has told the world that she has "absolutely no clue why x, y and z" happened too many times. At least make up something! She needs to have an answer to that question.

Jaana
04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
deleted

semogal
04-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Alissa looked ill to me. The shadows under her eyes couldn't be covered up. It could be stress or nerves causing lack of sleep. But I wonder if down the road we will learn of some health issue facing her or someone she is close to, didn't her sister battle cancer a few seasons ago? I hope that she takes some time off and allows her body to heal physically and emotionally from this stressful season. Because bottom line this is just skating and her health is more important than placements.

RD
04-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Whatever the reason was, the concerning thing for me is this: This didn't pop up out of the blue. The warning signs were there two weeks ago in The Hague. Where was USFS in all this? Why wasn't it caught earlier? Why was she allowed to come here in such terrible condition? If she was pulled out of worlds, even against her will, it would have been for her own sake as well as theirs. Can't imagine what she's going through as she must now live with this. Hopefully she can get over it and move on.

victoriaheidi
04-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Whatever the reason was, the concerning thing for me is this: This didn't pop up out of the blue. The warning signs were there two weeks ago in The Hague. Where was USFS in all this? Why wasn't it caught earlier? Why was she allowed to come here in such terrible condition? If she was pulled out of worlds, even against her will, it would have been for her own sake as well as theirs. Can't imagine what she's going through as she must now live with this. Hopefully she can get over it and move on.

This. Everything.

flyingsit
04-02-2012, 08:16 PM

BUT... what are the rules? When did substitutions have to be made for Worlds? Is USFS allowed to remove a skater against her will? It's all well and good to say what we think should have happened, but USFS does have to work within its own rules/ those of the ISU.