PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RD
04-01-2012, 04:56 AM
^ I guess I see what you're saying. My question would be whether Czisny plans to retire. I'm guessing she will NOT want to go out the way she did today and will try to purge that memory, even if she never goes to Worlds again. Sort of like Rachel did at this year's Nationals- she forgot about last year's tibiagate and skated a memorable FS at Nationals, even if it wasn't enough to qualify for another world team. She can leave the sport on a good note.

arakwafan2006
04-01-2012, 05:14 AM
after watching that... i feel bad for being so tough on her. To know that she will have to live with that performance; one of the worst ever from a girl who is so beautiful. I fear for her... thats tough to live with

feraina
04-01-2012, 05:20 AM
"She was admist a situation that was most fearful..." What does that mean?

"It was too much for her." That was weird too. No word from Yuka of Alissa taking this as a learning experience and coming back stronger next year either... And doesn't Jason normally handle all the interviews related to Alissa? He's her main coach.

fenway2
04-01-2012, 05:22 AM
To know that she will have to live with that performance; one of the worst ever from a girl who is so beautiful.
If only she was ugly. Then it'd be easier for her to live with it. :(

:lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Your wording made me giggle. :)

5Ali3
04-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Alissa was bad. Seriously bad, the worst performance I've ever seen in skating ever. To the point where I'm really concerned about her. She's always been inconsistent but this was dreadful. I don't even care what exactly is going on with her, but I hope everything is ok in her personal life. Yes she messed up but I can't kick her when she's so down. I really think there's something going on, whether it's external issues or just a serious crisis in self-confidence, but whatever it is I hope she recovers. Hugs to her.

I am not certain that the problems over the past two months are result of injury - although I believe Czisny's confidence was shaken as a result of lost training time, which is not the same as problems resulting directly from an injury - nor do I believe that monitoring would have had made a difference - nor do I get the sense that Czisny is having the same trouble with "nerves" that she struggled with in years past: the technical mistakes that she made this week were, actually, quite different from the mistakes that she used to make in competition. However, I get the sense that Czisny is a skater who has difficulty leaving her emotions at the rink door. For many skaters, the ice is a refuge, a safe place; for Czisny, I think the ice is the only place where she expresses her feelings, not only about skating, but about all aspects of her life, and I sense that she is unable to separate her life from her skating, in part because I suspect she doesn't know who she is apart from her skating: of all the elite women I've known in the post-figures era, Czisny is the only one whose self-identity remained wrapped up entirely in skating into her 20s. Czisny clearly loves to skate: she loves to skate, she loves skating, she loves being a skater. I don't know if she loves to compete, per se, but I know that she desperately wants to succeed in competition, and it's wrapped up in her self-identity, and that's a very dangerous place for an athlete to be. Please note that I am not saying that Czisny didn't make mental mistakes this week; I'm trying to get at the subtle differences between the mental mistake of being "too nervous" and the mental mistake of being unable to check your personal life and personality at the door to the rink.

Learning to do so is an important part of becoming an elite athlete, and learning when to say that one has been pushed past one's personal limits is an important part of becoming an adult. It's not my place to say or speculate whether Czisny should have withdrawn, but I sympathize with young adults who lack full awareness of when they've been pushed past their limits, because I've been there and I also couldn't see the forest for the trees: it's a symptom of being face-to-face with a tree, and it's especially difficult when one has been shoved full-speed into the tree and can't figure out what the crumbly brown stuff is and why there are termites crawling up your arms. I give Czisny credit for her attempts to push through difficult circumstances in her life outside the rink, as much as I wish that she could check her troubles at the rink door, and I give her much credit for the fact that she's never offered excuses, such as publicizing the timing of Amber Czisny's diagnosis relative to 2010 Nationals, for example, in the way that so many other athletes seem to make excuses once a performance has gone wrong.

Yes, at Worlds, something beyond Czisny was at sake in the second/third spot for the U.S. next year. She's not off the hook entirely and I'm sure the post-mortems will continue ad nauseam, here and in rinks and in judges' rooms. But the competition is over and in a more individual and immediate sense: I hope Czisny - and all of the skaters in her training group - can find peace. For me, when life got all :angryfire and :revenge: , the ice was always there for me as a place of peace, where I could leave my worries behind. I'm not sure that's true for them right now, but it is the most heartfelt prayer that I can express.

museksk8r
04-01-2012, 07:33 AM
for Czisny, I think the ice is the only place where she expresses her feelings, not only about skating, but about all aspects of her life, and I sense that she is unable to separate her life from her skating, in part because I suspect she doesn't know who she is apart from her skating: of all the elite women I've known in the post-figures era, Czisny is the only one whose self-identity remained wrapped up entirely in skating into her 20s. Czisny clearly loves to skate: she loves to skate, she loves skating, she loves being a skater. I don't know if she loves to compete, per se, but I know that she desperately wants to succeed in competition, and it's wrapped up in her self-identity, and that's a very dangerous place for an athlete to be. Please note that I am not saying that Czisny didn't make mental mistakes this week; I'm trying to get at the subtle differences between the mental mistake of being "too nervous" and the mental mistake of being unable to check your personal life and personality at the door to the rink.

Goodness, it's like you're describing Nina Sayers. Maybe Czisny should have skated to Black Swan after all. *sigh* I do feel terrible for her; like Jeremy, she seems so lost and bewildered while being interviewed the past few days. :(

FiveRinger
04-01-2012, 07:42 AM
My heart broke for Alissa today......I couldn't watch the entire performance, I just felt so bad for her.

I won't try to speculate as to what happened, but I believe that something is wrong. I don't know if it's an injury or a personal issue, but I think it goes beyond just stage fright, as others have suggested. I saw close-ups of her before she even took the ice for her SP and her face was puffy and swollen. I don't know if it was from tears, fatigue, allergies, but she really didn't look at her best or well. She looked off to me, even then.

I saw the interview that she did with Andrea Joyce after the SP and she couldn't talk, she was so emotional. She's had bad skates before, and I've never seen her react like that. In recent memory, granted, she would do a spectacular short and have problems in the long, but the level of emotion after the performance was much greater, I thought, than someone, Alissa in particular, who justhad a bad skate. Even Andrea mentioned how stoic Alissa usually is after a bad outing and how unusual this behavior was for her.

After the LP she was more collected off the ice, but her performance was terrible. If I hadn't seen her be so disturbed before the LP I would've thought that she injured herself in her first jump. But that doesn't even make sense. I guess we just have to sit back and wait for her to tell us more. I just hope that she will be okay, because right now, it's obvious that she's not.

Karpenko
04-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Sigh. The whole thing is just so f*cked up. I want to feel bad for her because I mean... damn. But then again how can you? How can the federation be so hpyocritical, be so harsh with Rachael (deservedly), yet not do something about their World team and 3 spots on the line when Alissa performed better (OMG.) 2 weeks ago with her performances in Prague.. Yet then again, why didnt Alissa?

I have a feeling maybe she just wanted to go out on a good note and push through because she didn't want to hang on til Sochi? Now why bother honestly, it's so mean to say and I've enjoyed her skating for years, but I've never seen an elite skater let go of so many aspects of being a competitor, so many times, after so many years of experience, she should know her body by now and know that you can't luck into a perfect performance. It's not just that Alissa bombed, I mean thats not new, its that Alissa bombed the worst she or any US lady has ever bombed at Worlds, and she did it with the absolute worst timing imagineable.

In all honesty I really hate to bring her into this, but Michelle Kwan in 2006 perhaps would have gone out and skated making far less mistakes (while injured) then the amount of mistakes Alissa made here. But like Alissa, she had tons of experience, had been though all of it countless times, and knew her limits and knew she wouldn't compete to the best of her standards so she did the right thing and stepped aside. She even did that as her last possible competition of all time! Alissa didn't need this Worlds, she only needed this Worlds if she had been in peak (2011 Nationals) condition and she clearly knew she wasn't, had all the warning signs in the World, and probably knew way better than we did (as obvious as it already was) that she probably wasn't going to have a great competition before hand. I love her the person and her skating, but I can't forgive any of that. There's just no excuse, and now we're screwed again and the federation (who really ultimately are responsible) look like the most hypocritical jerks possible! I'm expecting them to get behind Rachael again next year as a "we're sorry for being so mean to you, see we make mistakes too!" token gift. :rolleyes:

Sigh, what a crappy uneven week at Worlds for the US ladies. Again. :(

RD
04-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Here's the thing, though- if there really is something going on with Czisny that affected her ability to perform, why didn't she withdraw? Why push through it and risk embarrassment like this? If USFS didn't learn from Flatt last year...ugh, I have no words.

attyfan
04-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Here's the thing, though- if there really is something going on with Czisny that affected her ability to perform, why didn't she withdraw? Why push through it and risk embarrassment like this? If USFS didn't learn from Flatt last year...ugh, I have no words.

Depends upon what she knew and when she knew it. One of the falls at Worlds may have caused (or aggravated a pre-existing) injury.

leafygreens
04-01-2012, 02:44 PM
As tragic as this situation is, it is different than what Rachael went through. RF didn't disclose any injury, whereas Alissa has been open about her injury all season. But I don't think there is any explanation for 22nd place. I think this may be the end for her. She just cannot handle competition, mentally.

arakwafan2006
04-01-2012, 06:19 PM
If only she was ugly. Then it'd be easier for her to live with it. :(

:lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Your wording made me giggle. :)

stoppit... lol. What i meant was that she and her skating are both beautiful.

barbk
04-01-2012, 06:51 PM
She's got some choices. While there isn't a whole lot left of pro competition, she would be an amazing skater on one of the cruise ships. Her spins could be showcased really well in that environment.

I'm sad to see her so unhappy, and sad to see that, once again, the US didn't earn three spots for the ladies.

ltnskater
04-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah, because 9 + 4 = 12 or less. Oh, wait...

Actually, 9+4 = 13... and 13 or less is the cutoff for being able to send 3 skaters to worlds the following year.

RD
04-01-2012, 07:37 PM
As tragic as this situation is, it is different than what Rachael went through.

Or is it? Even for a headcase like Czisny, that showing was just...embarrassing to say the least. It's the worst I've EVER seen her (or any skater for that matter) do at ANY competition, and that includes eggs she laid as far back as 2004. Something isn't right/seems to be off. I'm not going to speculate what it is, but even for her, this was simply dreadful.