PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

michiruwater
04-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Still got Russia three spots, though, and soundly beat out Polina K. If Alissa had placed 9th, US would have three spots too.

Just saying...

Yeah, because 9 + 4 = 12 or less. Oh, wait...

RD
04-01-2012, 02:52 AM
I know she's denied it, but I have to believe Alissa is still injured in some way, or has a new injury since Nationals. Yeah, she's a headcase, but even the worst headcases don't go out and fall 7 times in an event unless something is wrong. Equipment issues? Injury? I just think there's more than her mental focus affecting her right now. She's usually fab in practices, and even struggled in those all week in Nice.

Then it's up to USFS to monitor her and be on top of things. If something is up, then they dropped the ball big time- for the 2nd year in a row.

Lacey
04-01-2012, 02:58 AM
I wonder if it isn't too late to get something like a Selection for Worlds rule change before the Annual Meeting of USFS.

HSGP21
04-01-2012, 03:09 AM
"She was admist a situation that was most fearful..."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120331&content_id=27795214&vkey=ice_news What does that mean?

demetriosj
04-01-2012, 03:13 AM
"She was admist a situation that was most fearful..."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120331&content_id=27795214&vkey=ice_news What does that mean?

placing so low after short??

euterpe
04-01-2012, 03:16 AM
Some skaters just don't have the mental toughness to be good competitors. I'm afraid Alissa is in that category.

The coaching change last season seemed to have a positive effect so that she had good performances and placed well in the GP, won the GPF, and placed 5th at Worlds. But after her two GP events this year, Alissa started on a steady downward trajectory.

But maybe a coaching change for her is like hypnosis for quitting smoking or losing weight. It works well initially, but when the craving or self-doubt starts to creep back in, the beneficial effects no longer work.

missysays
04-01-2012, 03:43 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think that she was injured just chronic severe stage fright and most likely sensitivity to public scrutiny that she couldn't control as the season progressed.

If you've ever had to perform or stand up and give a speech in front an audience and felt your body respond to the stress of such a situation you probably have an inkling as to what was happening with her. I used to compete at piano competitions and it feels like the sounds come and go as your heart and blood starts pumping with adrenaline and my fingers always felt clunkier and less nimble even after repeated "warm up" exercises.

Alissa probably has something similar but in spades. You hear of skaters saying that they couldn't feel their legs or just couldn't get their legs underneath them. That's probably what was happening to her.

I heard of one professional pianist who takes beta blockers to control his nerves right before a performance but of course Alissa can't do that.

I hope she realizes that she still has something to offer audiences but perhaps in a professional environment as opposed to a competitive amateur one.

demetriosj
04-01-2012, 03:54 AM
still don't understand why she did not withdraw weeks ago?

obviously her team had to know things weren't right, whether they be injury, mental issues, family problems, illness etc.

why subject her to competing when she was obviously not capable?

euterpe
04-01-2012, 03:55 AM
I used to do theater and participated in many productions as an actor. I always had nerves before going onstage, but I found that the nervous energy enhanced my performances because I was sharper and more in tune to the other actors.

OTOH, giving a prepared speech or presentation at work made me MUCH more nervous and in that case the nerves didn't usually have a positive effect. But unlike Alissa, I never had the feeling that I couldn't do it or got so flustered when asked a tough question that I messed up badly.

Today, Alissa seemed to be terrified of failure before she even started skating. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

johndockley92
04-01-2012, 04:01 AM
I don't think being nervous is a good reason to withdraw lol

victoriaheidi
04-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Yeah, because 9 + 4 = 12 or less. Oh, wait...

I thought it was 13 that got 3 spots? When did it become 12?

fenway2
04-01-2012, 04:22 AM
still don't understand why she did not withdraw weeks ago?

obviously her team had to know things weren't right, whether they be injury, mental issues, family problems, illness etc.

why subject her to competing when she was obviously not capable? I've wondered for many years now if Alissa even enjoys competing.

fenway2
04-01-2012, 04:23 AM
I thought it was 13 that got 3 spots? When did it become 12?
It is 13.

RD
04-01-2012, 04:42 AM
I've wondered for many years now if Alissa even enjoys competing.

If she didn't, she would have quit a LONG time ago...perhaps 2006

fenway2
04-01-2012, 04:50 AM
If she didn't, she would have quit a LONG time ago...perhaps 2006 Not necessarily. I know some skaters, two with degrees, who stayed in loooong past their expiration date because they didn't know how to live without competitive skating in their lives. Also, Alissa could feel, or felt, (especially pre-2009) that her parents have thrown so much money into her skating, she needs to prove it was worth it - either with results or financial rewards.