PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

PDilemma
03-31-2012, 10:38 PM
None of the US Detroit singles skaters did as well as expected. What are the chances all of them would not be able to get their feet under them? Maybe it's a training issue. Maybe that coaching team needs to figure out what went wrong. Alissa is one of the best we have. Ditto for Adam and Jeremy. Maybe the preparation needs a look.

^^This.

ltnskater
03-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Poor Alissa. This was a disaster of epic proportions, even for someone dealing with an injury. Coupled with Ashley's 4th place, that's a combined total of 26 placement points. Do they keep two spots for 2013, or will they be reduced to one?

No, that is a combined total of 20 placement points. Alissa with 16 (anything 16 and below, if they qualified for the free gets 16 points) + Ashley with 4 = 20.

Though, it's a moot point because either way, they would below the combined total of 28.

So, yes, they do get to keep two spots for 2013.

Wanted to add, Ashley did amazing, wasn't it her first time at worlds? And to come 4th, with the 3rd best free skate (I'm thinking, if she had skated 2 perfect performances with the triple triple in the short, she could have placed 2nd, giving the US 3 entries to next year's worlds by herself!)

Alissa, my heart goes out to her, she's one of my favourite skaters, just wished she had better jump technique and consistency, but she is a beautiful skater to watch!

Cheylana
03-31-2012, 10:43 PM
This bit in a Detroit Free Press article (http://www.freep.com/article/20120331/SPORTS17/120331012/Woe-is-worlds-for-Alissa-Czisny-U-S-figure-skating-team?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports) made me sad:

Czisny's total at last year's championships in Moscow (182.25) would have won her the bronze medal Saturday in Nice.

aftershocks
03-31-2012, 10:45 PM
To say Alissa didn't perform well is an understatement. To say she "sucked" is rubbing it in. To get on a bandwagon seeking to tear her down and tar and feather her and her coaches, and the U.S. federation is even worse. No thank you.

I wish people would not go down the road of tearing down coaches when their well-trained athletes do not perform well. The coaches can't go out there and perform for them. Sato and Dungjen have done an excellent job. Their skaters have had a great deal of success, which should not be completely wiped out because of what happened to Alissa as the season wore on, or because Jeremy and Adam did not have the showings they should have had in Nice after their great comebacks at Nationals.

On the positive side, Ashley had the fire and determination to overcome her nerves and skate her best; D/W are spectacular artists and athletes; the U.S. pairs teams placed well; Adam and Jeremy had great programs this season, and they both rocked at Nationals. Alas neither fully showed what they could do at Worlds, but Jeremy started off well landing his quad in the fp and at least the U.S. men still have 2 spots.

No way do I blame the U.S. federation for not sending Alissa to 4CC, or for deciding to send her to Worlds. She placed fifth at Worlds last year. I've had issues with some of U.S. fed's choices in the past, but seriously the way the system is set up in figure skating these days, IMO, is antiquated which makes it complicated for the U.S. federation and some others to make these selection decisions. At some point, federations have to make their best judgments based on past track record and Nationals outcome, and then trust their athletes to do what they are capable of doing. Ashley sure paid for not doing well at Worlds one season and being part of the team that didn't hold onto a 3rd spot. Well, now Ashley has come back from the ashes.

doubleflutz
03-31-2012, 10:58 PM
I wish people would not go down the road of tearing down coaches when their well-trained athletes do not perform well. The coaches can't go out there and perform for them. Sato and Dungjen have done an excellent job. Their skaters have had a great deal of success, which should not be completely wiped out because of what happened to Alissa as the season wore on, or because Jeremy and Adam did not have the showings they should have had in Nice after their great comebacks at Nationals.

They don't deserve the blame for Jeremy and Adam, but it's clear something was up with Alissa at the Netherlands, and managing their athletes is their job, that they are paid for, and have to do lots and lots of continuing education in order to keep coaching at affiliated rinks. If it turns out this is a situation like Rachael Flatt, if Yuka and Jason were involved in keeping an injury quiet, do you disagree with all the people who (rightfully) wanted to tar and feather Tom Z?

demetriosj
03-31-2012, 10:59 PM
I've had issues with some of U.S. fed's choices in the past, but seriously the way the system is set up in figure skating these days, IMO, is antiquated which makes it complicated for the U.S. federation and some others to make these selection decisions. .

Huh?

Spartacus
03-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Geeeez 22nd place?:eek:

And Mao too....:slinkaway

tapper88
03-31-2012, 11:04 PM
does anyone have a link to Alissa's LP?

I really do think she's a wonderful skater, but self-doubt plays such a big role in determining her outcome.

She really needs support during this time! Not criticism from people.. or else it will play an even bigger factor! Hopefully she can brush herself off from this. Poor thing. Everyone has off days, or competitions.

demetriosj
03-31-2012, 11:18 PM
She really needs support during this time! Not criticism from people.. or else it will play an even bigger factor! Hopefully she can brush herself off from this. Poor thing. Everyone has off days, or competitions.

Please don't expect people to feel sorry for her after all of the coddling she has received from USFS!

She has bumped many a deserving skater with her sub-par jumping ability over the years.

Don't think she felt sorry for them.

VALuvsMKwan
03-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Please don't expect people to feel sorry for her after all of the coddling she has received from USFS!

She has bumped many a deserving skater with her sub-par jumping ability over the years.

Don't think she felt sorry for them.

WTF is wrong with you? Did she judge her own performances and those of other skaters in those competitions and post the scores that she and they received?

bek
03-31-2012, 11:57 PM
No way do I blame the U.S. federation for not sending Alissa to 4CC, or for deciding to send her to Worlds. She placed fifth at Worlds last year. I've had issues with some of U.S. fed's choices in the past, but seriously the way the system is set up in figure skating these days, IMO, is antiquated which makes it complicated for the U.S. federation and some others to make these selection decisions. At some point, federations have to make their best judgments based on past track record and Nationals outcome, and then trust their athletes to do what they are capable of doing. Ashley sure paid for not doing well at Worlds one season and being part of the team that didn't hold onto a 3rd spot. Well, now Ashley has come back from the ashes.

The thing is the USFSA could monitor their athletes and at least make the athletes show readiness before Worlds/Olympics. Is the second year in a row where a skater who performed well in the past skated extremely poorly/below par. In the case of Alissa it was clear two weeks ago her skating wasn't up to par.

The Russian fed made Ksensia show a test skate why shouldn't the USFSA do the same?

agalisgv
03-31-2012, 11:59 PM
The Russian fed made Ksensia show a test skate why shouldn't the USFSA do the same? Makarova still bombed though :shuffle:.

Just sayin....

feraina
04-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Makarova still bombed though :shuffle:
Just sayin...

Still got Russia three spots, though, and soundly beat out Polina K. If Alissa had placed 9th, US would have three spots too.

Just saying...

puglover
04-01-2012, 12:08 AM
I think the fact that Alissa can still score really well even if she misses a couple of her jumps is in her favour and I get why she has been selected many times. I do admire the fact that when things are not going well she doesn't start doubling like many skaters do - even if that way she would kind of save face. Carolina has had many sad skates - the Olympics in Torino for one - and she finally won a World gold medal.

bek
04-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Makarova still bombed though :shuffle:.

Just sayin....

They didn't have a whole lot of options, though did they? They were smart though even though I said they should maybe go with Shelepen to think 2 experienced one inexperienced was the best way to go.

Still if Alissa had been made to do a real test skate that counted/Challenge Cup was considered do you think they'd have truly sent her and not lets say Zhang?