PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

centerpt1
03-31-2012, 09:49 PM
None of the US Detroit singles skaters did as well as expected. What are the chances all of them would not be able to get their feet under them? Maybe it's a training issue. Maybe that coaching team needs to figure out what went wrong. Alissa is one of the best we have. Ditto for Adam and Jeremy. Maybe the preparation needs a look.

Mayra
03-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Did Alissa show up at Workds injured?! She is inconsistent at the best of times but her result here is IMO beyond that. The USFSA needs to be asking serious questions. Especially in light of their very public reprimand of Rachael Flatt last year.

:eek:

rhumba
03-31-2012, 10:00 PM
None of the US Detroit singles skaters did as well as expected. What are the chances all of them would not be able to get their feet under them? Maybe it's a training issue. Maybe that coaching team needs to figure out what went wrong. Alissa is one of the best we have. Ditto for Adam and Jeremy. Maybe the preparation needs a look.

They were sightseeing in Hague two weeks before Worlds.

berthesghost
03-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Right. Alissa sucked. Period. I'm not going to be all "Awww, it's okay. You tried your best...next time you'll get it." This is figure skating at its highest level. You have to be on top of your sh*t. End of story.
All true. However, Aftershocks has a point. There are some people in this thread who are disappointed, and some who are blunt, but then there are others who obviously have an ax to grind and this latest result is just another excuse to trash her entire career.

Personally, I don't give a flying fig about the 3rd spot. I care more about medals, and BOTH US ladies failed to make the podium, AGAIN! I'd hop on the Alissa-is-held-up bandwagon if there was one, just one US lady who could actually skate well and place. A 6 podiumless year streak! :eek:

dawnie
03-31-2012, 10:01 PM
She probably wanted to end her career with a World medal, but honestly last year's fifth place was the best she was ever gonna do. Now she goes out like this. I will be shocked if she returns next season as it's extremely unlikely she is getting anywhere near the top 2 at Nationals.

Jenna
03-31-2012, 10:08 PM
All true. However, Aftershocks has a point. There are some people in this thread who are disappointed, and some who are blunt, but then there are others who obviously have an ax to grind and this latest result is just another excuse to trash her entire career.

Personally, I don't give a flying fig about the 3rd spot. I care more about medals, and BOTH US ladies failed to make the podium, AGAIN! I'd hop on the Alissa-is-held-up bandwagon if there was one, just one US lady who could actually skate well and place. A 6 podiumless year streak! :eek:

Well, we're getting closer. Alissa was 5th last year, Ashley 4th this year. Perhaps a bronze next year? ;)

AlexDSSF
03-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Poor Alissa. This was a disaster of epic proportions, even for someone dealing with an injury. Coupled with Ashley's 4th place, that's a combined total of 26 placement points. Do they keep two spots for 2013, or will they be reduced to one?

Cheylana
03-31-2012, 10:17 PM
^ US ladies will have two spots for next year's Worlds.

RD
03-31-2012, 10:22 PM
They keep 2.

Good for Wagner for pulling up to 4th, but not being in the final group cost her in PCS points IMHO. Again, just like Nationals in previous years, she's just GOT to hit that short program when it counts and at least get in the final FS group. If not, well...you see what happens.

But at least Wagner tried and did respectably. 4th, while OTP, is not horrible. In fact, I think it's tied for the best finish for a US lady at worlds since Meissner's 4th in 2007. Still, the medal-less streak continues for the once dominant US ladies. SIX years!!

And Czisny- you know, I've said in the past that I never tell skaters to retire, that it's their choice...but I must admit I'm awfully close here. You go from 2-time national champ, 5th in the world, to an epic meltdown/embarrassment like this? This girl fell SEVEN times!!!!!!! I don't know if she plans to continue- but if she does, you bet she'll no longer get the benefit of the doubt. And I'm not going to "virtual hug" her or anything- this is a sporting event, these are athletes at the world meet- there are expectations for this team...you fail to perform, you rightfully take heat for it. That's the way it goes.

Oh lord. Ashley Wagner & Gracie Gold for USA at 2013 worlds I guess...

demetriosj
03-31-2012, 10:25 PM
They keep 2.

Oh lord. Ashley Wagner & Gracie Gold for USA at 2013 worlds I guess...

If they can stay injury-free til next year.

RD
03-31-2012, 10:27 PM
If they can stay injury-free til next year.

precisely...

barbk
03-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Where will Czisny rank on the World Standings list after this? I'd be very unhappy if she went to Worlds next year as the second-highest ranking US lady -- she'd risk not even get out of the qualifying round, which mess up both 2014 worlds and Olympics entries royally.

carriemarie
03-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Where will Czisny rank on the World Standings list after this? I'd be very unhappy if she went to Worlds next year as the second-highest ranking US lady -- she'd risk not even get out of the qualifying round, which mess up both 2014 worlds and Olympics entries royally.

I don't see a "Worlds scenario" that includes Czisny any longer....

RD
03-31-2012, 10:34 PM

With all due respect I hope there ISN'T one...

fenway2
03-31-2012, 10:35 PM

People said the same in 2009. I will never underestimate USFS's love affair with Czisny. They've been cutting her huge breaks since 2006.

And anyone trying to spin Wagner's performances in Nice as failure is merely trying to take the focus off of Czisny bombing again. Wagner and failed do not belong in the same sentence this year.