PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

nyskater09
03-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Why do a lot of you people assume Alissa is injured??? From all accounts (media reports and friends around the rink)- she is NOT injured and her "foot injury" was not that serious to begin with. If you ever practiced with Alissa on a daily basis - this is how she skates. She falls/pops all of the time. It's nothing new and certainly not the fault of an injury. I don't know why anyone would be surprised by her horrible performances. This is who Alissa is. She has skated this way for YEARS. She cannot land the jumps- not in practice and not in competition. She was actually a much better ice dancer than freestyle skater because she didn't have to jump. I was always surprised she didn't pursue that avenue.

demetriosj
03-31-2012, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=nyskater09;3530452] If you ever practiced with Alissa on a daily basis - this is how she skates. She falls/pops all of the time. It's nothing new and certainly not the fault of an injury. I don't know why anyone would be surprised by her horrible performances. This is who Alissa is. She has skated this way for YEARS. She cannot land the jumps- not in practice and not in competition. QUOTE]

Sad but true.

Will never understand why the USFS judges have been so ga-ga over her for the past decade.

Beautiful spins and spirals, but horrible technique jumps, very weak jumps all along the way.

brightphoton
03-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Firstly, Caroline may only have planned a 5 triple free skate, same as Alissa, but the big difference is that Caroline manages to land them in competition. Furthermore, Caroline's jumps do not recieve negative GOE very often, not nearly as often as Alissa's jumps get -GOE. Secondly, Alissa also has two double axels, which she often steps out of or recieves -GOE for. Caroline's two double axels are more reliable than Alissa's and at least recieve neutral GOE, so it's not so bad that Caroline has two of them. Thirdly, Caroline has a competitor's mindset. She is fearless going into jumps and is very consistent as evidenced by her junior years with faulty technique, and this year's 4CC. We can count on her as a competitor.

It doesn't matter though. The Nationals results are pre-determined and set in stone by PCS.

RD
03-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Senior worlds is a different ballgame though. Miss Zhang has not been.

brightphoton
03-31-2012, 07:04 PM
And Alissa has been twice. And?

krenseby
03-31-2012, 07:37 PM

The thing is at least we knew what happened to Zhang when all her jumps left her. In Alissa's case, it has yet to be explained. If it's not injury, then what is it? Is it weight, is it nerves, has she abandoned the technique adjustments she made with Sato and Dungjen and reverted to her old jumping style?

arakwafan2006
03-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Judging by her marks and the 5 deductions i see on the ISU scores site... umm... i dont know if they even load footage from skaters that low.

demetriosj
03-31-2012, 08:27 PM

Yah, and why not?

Ms. Czisny was always given the benefit of the doubt, and you see where that's gotten US figure skating..

smarts1
03-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Ugh, so angry at Alissa. She could have easily smashed Kexin's score. Considering some of the top probably will falter, we could have easily gotten 3 spots back. She should retire. I've never said this about her, but honestly, with 5 deductions, what else should she do?

demetriosj
03-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Ugh, so angry at Alissa. She could have easily smashed Kexin's score. Considering some of the top probably will falter, we could have easily gotten 3 spots back. She should retire. I've never said this about her, but honestly, with 5 deductions, what else should she do?

Don't place all of the blame on her.

Blame the idiots who sent her to Worlds in the first place.

It was obvious at Nationals that she was faltering.

smarts1
03-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah, well she could have at least proved Challenge Cup and the SP was a fluke and went out there and skated the best skate of her life... She at least had control of that, but she didn't and instead wiped the ice with her butt 5 times.

aftershocks
03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Oh, my God, the fallout. It's bad enough as it is already. Why rub it in? Why state the obvious? Imagine yourself for a moment in Alissa's place and how she (and in fact the entire Detroit crew) must be feeling right now. If you don't wish to imagine it, there may in fact come a time in your life where you will be feeling something similar to what they are feeling right now.

It's bad, yes, but no one has died a bodily death. Take heart please from Ashley's brave skate. Enjoy the skates from those who did well.

I love your gentle heart Alissa, and I hope you will be enveloped in hugs from your family and friends, and that you will soon be smiling again, and hopefully doing shows with Brian B and your other skating friends.

smarts1
03-31-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm sure she's down and not happy with what she put out, but when you're a former National ladies champion and many people follow your every move, people are going to be blunt with you and you will face a lot of criticism. As simple as that. As much as she is a human being, we're talking about a sport here, and not only did she simply just not deliver, but she tanked.

Jenna
03-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Right. Alissa sucked. Period. I'm not going to be all "Awww, it's okay. You tried your best...next time you'll get it." This is figure skating at its highest level. You have to be on top of your sh*t. End of story.

It was clear after US Nationals (and blatantly apparent after Challenge Cup) that Alissa was on a downward trajectory this year. It was time for TPTB to step in and do something, but they didn't. And look, she performed even worse here than in The Hague, which I never thought was possible.

I'm disappointed in Alissa, but I am angry with the federation for being so lackadaisical.

nyskater09
03-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Don't place all of the blame on her.

Blame the idiots who sent her to Worlds in the first place.

It was obvious at Nationals that she was faltering.

Completely agree with this. The judges held her up year after year. This type of result was inevitable with Alissa. It was only a matter of time before this happened. Alissa is not the meek, gentle person people think. She's VERY competitive. The jumps are just not there. Is this the worst finish by a US lady at worlds? Do we still have two spots or are we down to one for next year?