PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

fenway2
03-30-2012, 02:37 AM
You mean the year the judges put a blah-blah Rachel Flatt above Nagasu who skated lights out and arguably should have won?? Fair, all right.
That's not what I said, though. I said the two who skated best at nationals went to Olympics/Worlds. The order was debatable but Flatt and Nagasu earned the spots. If you disagree, then please state who deserved to go ahead of them?

RD
03-30-2012, 02:39 AM
I agree that Flatt/Nagasu was the right team that year. The order should have been switched, however.

mrinalini
03-30-2012, 03:43 AM
Alissa's latest SP was just painful to watch - she looks like she's got no business being anywhere near Nice. Just like that, there goes another spot for the US ladies down the drain, and this is at least the second time that Alissa has failed to live up to the responsibility of regaining a spot. I've always liked her skating, but it's hard to feel sorry for her when she is again held up and then fails to deliver.

I'm unsure of Agnes as a competitor so it's hard to say how she would do at Worlds, but pre-dramatic growth spurt and massive technique changes, Caroline was just bursting with competitive fire and was very consistent. Now that those two issues are under control, I think that she would've gone all out yesterday, and I'd bet that she'd have done even better in 2009. It's a shame that we'll never know for sure.

Hopefully, this latest bombing sends a loud and clear message to the USFSA that Alissa is really the last person who should be given any kind of favour at Nationals.

essence_of_soy
03-30-2012, 03:48 AM
Alissa's latest SP was just painful to watch - she looks like she's got no business being anywhere near Nice. Just like that, there goes another spot for the US ladies down the drain, and this is at least the second time that Alissa has failed to live up to the responsibility of regaining a spot. I've always liked her skating, but it's hard to feel sorry for her when she is again held up and then fails to deliver.

I'm unsure of Agnes as a competitor so it's hard to say how she would do at Worlds, but pre-dramatic growth spurt and massive technique changes, Caroline was just bursting with competitive fire and was very consistent. Now that those two issues are under control, I think that she would've gone all out yesterday, and I'd bet that she'd have done even better in 2009. It's a shame that we'll never know for sure.

Hopefully, this latest bombing sends a loud and clear message to the USFSA that Alissa is really the last person who should be given any kind of favour at Nationals.

Perhaps Four Continents should have been the qualifying competition for Worlds in 2009. I believe Zhang finished highest of the US Ladies in 4th.

apatinar
03-30-2012, 04:01 AM
I agree that Flatt/Nagasu was the right team that year. The order should have been switched, however.

The order DEFINITELY should have been switched! I cringed everytime I saw those commercials during the olympics that Flatt got because of that title. I wondered what the casual fan would be thinking watching this girl drag herself around the ice.

arakwafan2006
03-30-2012, 04:49 AM

And she wonders why they didnt send her to 4 cont...

pinky166
03-30-2012, 05:14 AM

Honestly this is where the Nationals results come into play. I honestly think Caroline should have been 2nd, Alissa 3rd, and Agnes 4th at Nationals. Zhang got hosed for her great SP and Alissa got held up considering she only did a 1a and a 3-2 combo. Caroline had the best FS of the 3 as well, but even if Czisny stayed in 2nd, which I guess I sort of understand, though not really, because Caroline had a clean FS and Alissa made 2 huge mistakes on lutzes, but anyways, even if the results were as they were, I would have waited until after 4CC to determine the order of the alternates and after Caroline's bronze and great skates there and Agnes's messy skates and 7th place finish, I would have made Caroline 1st alternate going into Worlds. If Alissa and Agnes were marked fairly at Nats, Alissa would have been 1st alternate and Zawadzki 2nd alternate and Caroline would be here instead of either of them and I'm sure she would have scored more than 48 points.

RD
03-30-2012, 06:38 AM
If Alissa and Agnes were marked fairly at Nats, Alissa would have been 1st alternate and Zawadzki 2nd alternate and Caroline would be here instead of either of them and I'm sure she would have scored more than 48 points.

Are you SURE she would have scored > 48 pts? You never know, man.

(Yes, I know, it's unlikely. But the point holds...and so does the "X-Factor"- that is, intangible factors that go into a skater's performance apart from physical/mental condition that night)

feraina
03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Are you SURE she would have scored > 48 pts? You never know, man.

Yes, Caroline would have. Even in her worst competition this whole season, Caroline scored 55+ at Skate America. She skated really consistent SP's all season. The worst mistake was a minor step-out on a 3R-3R or maybe she might've stepped on a 2A in some minor comp, but her SP has been really quite good. The FS is another matter, but really she only bombed the FS at SA. She didn't have the opportunity to compete in a second GP this year, but did really well in a Senior B, and again at sectionals. So it wasn't like she was competing badly all season and came out to do well at National's and 4CC. Only those who hadn't paid any attention to her before then would have been surprised that she just got better and better, and USFSA definitely shouldn't have been one of them.

Karpenko
03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Goodbye Alissa, I am through with you. There are no excuses for that performance, and you've been around FAR TOO LONG to know better. She's injured, plain and simple, and she was in no way shape or form prepared and ready for this competition. She should have withdrawn, but now she's ruined the rest of her career and it's too late to salvage it.

I'm done with her. She's let me down way too many times, and this time she let herself down by rushing back into competition when she wasn't healthy, and tanking the absolute worst she ever has. Two weeks after she had already done the same thing, and she showed up to World in the same condition when she got the warning wake up call that she wasn't ready and the injury wasn't getting better two weeks before. No excuses. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :mad:

SceneIt
03-30-2012, 12:18 PM
I just watched the Youtube video of her SP. With the snoozy music selected designed to relax and calm her nerves, it had the opposite effect! No amount of coach switching, etc., is going to help her.

I'm betting she withdraws from the long program on Saturday to try and save whatever face she has left.

Coco
03-30-2012, 12:45 PM
What injury? The foot from GPF?

Does anyone have a link to protocols from Nationals? Can't even find raw scores anywhere, just rankings :(

Yazmeen
03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Goodbye Alissa, I am through with you. There are no excuses for that performance, and you've been around FAR TOO LONG to know better. She's injured, plain and simple, and she was in no way shape or form prepared and ready for this competition. She should have withdrawn, but now she's ruined the rest of her career and it's too late to salvage it.

I'm done with her. She's let me down way too many times, and this time she let herself down by rushing back into competition when she wasn't healthy, and tanking the absolute worst she ever has. Two weeks after she had already done the same thing, and she showed up to World in the same condition when she got the warning wake up call that she wasn't ready and the injury wasn't getting better two weeks before. No excuses. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :mad:

Would you just like a gun so you can shoot her and put her out of YOUR misery? Good grief, we don't know exactly what is wrong here, injury or otherwise. Take a deep breath here and chill! :rolleyes:

brightphoton
03-30-2012, 02:16 PM
At least Julie Berlin can say it wasn't all her fault that Alissa was a splatfest under her tutelage. Her switch to Yuka and Jason was to change her usual training routine, right? Then why go back to the same old training methods that didn't work for her before? She still has the same coddling, whimpering, there-there it's all right, baby relationship with her coach, except this time it's with Jason D instead of Julie B.

OnyxRose81
03-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Would you just like a gun so you can shoot her and put her out of YOUR misery? Good grief, we don't know exactly what is wrong here, injury or otherwise. Take a deep breath here and chill! :rolleyes:

A lot of people eviscerated Flatt last year for skating injured. Alissa is not immune to it. It's been known that she was injured for over a month. Her practices here have been horrible. She should have withdrew a long time ago.