PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

attyfan
03-29-2012, 06:00 PM
I think i hear retirement calling...

Why? IIRC, Alissa has a record of tanking every other year (although it usually happens at Nats). Shouldn't she wait?

Jammers
03-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Alissa is almost 25 now and her jumps and mental strength are not going to get much better to be honest.

victoriaheidi
03-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Why? IIRC, Alissa has a record of tanking every other year (although it usually happens at Nats). Shouldn't she wait?

Ok, I never want to say that I think a skater should retire at any point, but this mentality is also a problem. Look at Fumie Suguri. She kept waiting to have a "big finish" and go out with a bang. Sadly, she went out as badly as she did because she wanted to have that "big finish."

There's something to be said for quitting while you're ahead, and I would hate to see Alissa struggle for seasons and seasons in the hope that she could have one last brilliant performance.

That being said, it's her choice. But I would feel sad if her choice was to stick it out until she had one last beautiful and perfect performance.

dawnie
03-29-2012, 07:28 PM
If she wanted to go out with a big finish, then last year was it. Winning GPF, Nationals, and top 5 at Worlds was a dream season for her. Top 5 was an amazing achievement for her. I certainly understand her wanting to ride the momentum and wanting a medal, but that's never happening now as this year was her only shot. If she returns next season, there is no way the US judges are going to give her the benefit of the doubt. See Rachael Flatt.

demetriosj
03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
There's no one to blame but the USFS judges for placing Alissa in 2nd at Nationals..

USFS should have given someone else a chance for once like Agnes Z. or Caroline Z. It's not like they're complete newbies..

who cares if Worlds might have been a crapshoot with either of these two? They skated better than Alissa at Nationals and should have beat her.

you reap what you sow........

fenway2
03-29-2012, 11:30 PM
There's no one to blame but the USFS judges for placing Alissa in 2nd at Nationals..

USFS should have given someone else a chance for once like Agnes Z. or Caroline Z. It's not like they're complete newbies..

who cares if Worlds might have been a crapshoot with either of these two? They skated better than Alissa at Nationals and should have beat her.

you reap what you sow........

I don't know that Agnes was better than Alissa at nationals but Caroline was better than her in the short and long program and should have beaten her overall. This is the second time Caroline has been held back in favor of Alissa. Of course since Caroline was still on the comeback trail at the time, she needed Alissa to tank the short and long at nationals to have any chance of beating her and Alissa was mediocre but not horrible. After 2009 words, some people said Alissa would never get the benefit of doubt at nationals again but she did this year and it's deja vu all over again. :(

The problem with US nationals is that in recent years the outcome rarely reflects what actually happens on the ice. 2010 is the one time I think the 2 skaters who delivered best in the short and long were the 2 selected for worlds/Olympics. Maybe the judges felt more pressure in 2010 to judge more fairly since there was more public scrutiny in an Olympic year? Regardless, I wish the judges would stop over thinking the results and actually judge what happens on the ice. I think that would go a long way toward helping the USFS's goal of obtaining 3 spots.

UGG
03-29-2012, 11:37 PM
But even that year, we did not get three spots back. After the short program at 2010 worlds, I am sure everyone thought US had three spots in the bag. The reality is we just don't know. And the reality is no one who has gone has done really well except for Rachel in 2009 and Alissa last year. Ashley skated awesome at nats and 4CC's and here, she is not doing that great. So its really not fair to say Caroline would have been a better selection than Alissa. We just don't know.

demetriosj
03-29-2012, 11:39 PM
I wish the judges would stop over thinking the results and actually judge what happens on the ice. .

when hell freezes over....

isn't that what in theory they should be doing at all competitions?

dawnie
03-29-2012, 11:48 PM
So its really not fair to say Caroline would have been a better selection than Alissa. We just don't know.

She would have been a better selection in 2009 that's for sure. Czisny had no business competing at Worlds that year.

fenway2
03-29-2012, 11:58 PM
But even that year, we did not get three spots back. After the short program at 2010 worlds. I know but 7 and 4 at the Olympics where I'm sure every skater was hoping to peak was very impressive. And besides no one really argues that the two girls the US sent didn't earn their spots.
And the results at 2010 worlds were at least surprising, especially since Mirai was a double axel away from medaling. Nothing in 2009 or 2012 has surprised me. Alissa skated skittishly through 08-2009, was held up at nationals and tanked at worlds. Alissa skated skittishly throughout 11-2012 and was held up at nationals and tanked at worlds. No surprise. Again, I just wish the judges would judge what happens on the freakin ice. :(

fenway2
03-29-2012, 11:59 PM
So its really not fair to say Caroline would have been a better selection than Alissa. We just don't know.We don't know but she would have been a fairer selection since she out skated Alissa at nationals...in 2009 and 2012. And a fairer selection is easier to swallow than someone who is gifted and then predictably bombs.

Sparks
03-30-2012, 12:06 AM
She would have been a better selection in 2009 that's for sure. Czisny had no business competing at Worlds that year.

Oh dear. Here we go again. Alissa was the US National Champion. That's why she had buisness going to Worlds. :rolleyes:

dawnie
03-30-2012, 01:59 AM
Oh dear. Here we go again. Alissa was the US National Champion. That's why she had buisness going to Worlds. :rolleyes:

And you think she deserved the title of US champion that year? :rolleyes:

Sparks
03-30-2012, 02:08 AM
That is not the point. I'm not a judge.
She was. Period.

RD
03-30-2012, 02:21 AM
The problem with US nationals is that in recent years the outcome rarely reflects what actually happens on the ice. 2010 is the one time I think the 2 skaters who delivered best in the short and long were the 2 selected for worlds/Olympics. Maybe the judges felt more pressure in 2010 to judge more fairly since there was more public scrutiny in an Olympic year?

You mean the year the judges put a blah-blah Rachel Flatt above Nagasu who skated lights out and arguably should have won?? Fair, all right.

As for Czisny, even though she was so-so at Nationals, she wasn't awful like she was at Challenge Cup, for instance.

To flip the script a bit, say Wagner was the one that placed 3rd at Nationals...then she went to 4CC and upset Asada for the title. I BET tons of people would have come on here and said "Send her to worlds!!" speculating that a medal would have been all but a done deal. Then, look how she did in today's SP. Thing is, you NEVER KNOW how a skater will deal with a particular competition or the increased pressure of the world championships.

So for those proclaiming Zhang should have gone in place of Czisny- who's to say she wouldn't have struggled as well? She's never been to Worlds before. And if that happened and Czisny stayed home (keep in mind Challenge Cup likely wouldn't have happened), sure people on here would be like, "You should have sent Czisny instead!" :lol: