PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

BreakfastClub
03-16-2012, 07:10 PM
One is to "push" it to them and the other is to give them "a peek into something that might be very special", Virtue & Moir's approach very subtle as is I believe Czisny's.

That's true, but the subtle approach only works when you're completely in control and not skating like a deer in the headlights. See...

Jeff Buttle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSbTaxPgexA)
Daisuke Takahashi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKj69pyeY38)
Matt Savoie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAsNpBJbk0)
Michelle Kwan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpogyNs298o)
Katia Gordeeva (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fh3nQhwJCc)

Note in all these programs, the skating itself is still quite complex, nuanced, but full of transitions and steps...

AxelAnnie
03-16-2012, 07:24 PM
^^^ Fabulous links. Matt Savoie was such an artist. It did not appear that he was thinking at all................he was the music. I don't think we see skating like that very often.

Same with Michelle. No "ticking off the tricks" just skating.

victoriaheidi
03-16-2012, 08:32 PM
I just want to finally watch a top US lady skater who doesn't look petrified when she takes the ice. Not a lot to ask for but it seems like it is now.

Truth be told, I've never seen Ashley Wagner look petrified. She's always looked tough. In her day, Rachael Flatt was also pretty confident-looking. It's just Mirai and Alissa, IMO, with Agnes during LPs.

RD
03-16-2012, 09:33 PM
I just want to finally watch a top US lady skater who doesn't look petrified when she takes the ice. Not a lot to ask for but it seems like it is now.

Yeah, consistency would be nice too.

IceAlisa
03-17-2012, 02:33 AM
OMG, Daisuke! :swoon: IMO he is the most musical and sensitive skater ever. His musicality is so complex and diverse. He is just to Dai For. :swoon:

Yes, that is not really relevant though. ;)

My point was:

Just because Alissa skated badly, there's this predictable knee-jerk reaction: "She's terrible, send somebody else to Worlds!"

Yeah, because there's a throng of consistent US Ladies skating at her level.

Oh wait, there isn't.

Of course it's relevant. She is going up against non-US ladies but one in Nice, and their consistency or lack thereof matters. Worlds is what this hooplah is all about. And her placement and the US spots and so on.

Unless of course, the hooplah is about sending someone else instead. I agree with you: it's a bit early to bury Alissa's skating career. Also agree about Gracie Gold. People need a chill pill.

moebius
03-17-2012, 03:14 AM
I still think Alissa is the prettiest skater we have, and most pleasant to watch, even if she bombs a couple of jumps.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think she's about as pretty as Ashley which is slightly above average:shuffle:
I think Sasha Cohen is probably the best looking ladies single skater US has ever had. Of course my picks for the best looking ladies single skater are Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepisto. Damn those Finnish women are gorgeous!

AndyWarhol
03-17-2012, 03:24 AM
I think Alissa is a babe. I put her in the same catagory as Sasha.

IceAlisa
03-17-2012, 03:36 AM
Both Alissa and Ashley are very pretty in person, much prettier than they are in pictures or on TV. Alissa is a classic beauty.

RD
03-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

no kidding....

Personally, I must say I don't really see what the huge deal is...and that is even after seeing both up close and personal...

RD
03-17-2012, 03:57 AM
deleted

Jammers
03-17-2012, 05:39 AM
We've got Ashley circa 2012 .... and now Zhang ....

Ashley just doesn't impress me much and Zhang has too many weaknesses to ever be a real contender on the world scene i think.

Karpenko
03-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Alissa definitely is our best skater when healthy, and she did earn her trip to worlds. I think the possible big issue is if she has an injury that affecting all of her jumps, the year after Rachel tried to hope for the best while injured last year. It's not that she doesn't deserve her place, it's that she's less likely to ever go back if she bombs and we are stuck at two spots again next year.

I love her skating and honestly want her to be World Champion this year, but if she's injured and still having trouble landing jumps it would be the best decision for her and all around to not take the gamble. I hope we all eat our words and she's a world medalist at the end of the month, but I'm freaked out about how her potential Worlds showing will go.

judgejudy27
03-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Alissa definitely is our best skater when healthy

Being healthy does not ensure her skating consistently or landing all the jumps, something she rarely does even healthy.

Still it is best for her to go. The alternate is not Zhang or Gold as many wish it were, but Agnes, who is almost as certain to bomb and wont score as highly if she does.

Karpenko
03-17-2012, 07:39 AM
^ Yes we really are damned if we do, damned if we don't.

judgejudy27
03-17-2012, 07:44 AM
I think Allissa will gut out a decent result. Top 8 anyway. Wagner has a good shot to medal this year. So I think the U.S will regain their 3 spots. We will see though.

I do predict if Alissa bombs at Worlds, she is toast next year. Wagner is not going to slow down; barring a growth spurt or major loss of form, Gold is almost a lock for next years team already, and Zhang will likely continue her determined push to improve. There is also Agnes and Nagasu. The USFSA lovefest for her will quickly turn into the complete opposite as it did for Flatt if she blows the U.S getting 3 spots again, especialy if it is learnt she skated injured. So if she is really that injured (which I dont have a strong opinion one way or the other as I didnt see her Challenge skate) she might be best to withdraw from Worlds to protect her own status moving forward. Then again given all the competition next year she might want to push on to keep 3 spots even injured, knowing Agnes probably wont. A tough situation for her if she is hurting.