PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Sylvia
03-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Last year Canada lost its second ladies' spot when Phaneuf finished 13th and Lacoste finished 16th (more than 28 points).

ETA these excerpts from the ISU Championships FAQ thread:

20 points: competitors that do not qualify for the Short Program (SP has 30 singles skaters) or Short Dance (SD)
18 points: singles and dance competitors that qualify for the SP but do not qualify for the Free Skate (FS has 24 singles skaters).
16 points: competitors who qualified for the FS but did not place higher than 16th place.
X points: competitors that finished in Xth place, as long as X < 16.

When 2 skaters are considered for points,
sum of 13 points or less results in 3 entries for the next year's Championships
sum of 14-28 points results in 2 entries for the next year's Championships

Jammers
03-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Exactly. Some mentioned skating like Buttle. Or perhaps like this:
Johnny Weir 03-04 SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2x9RfuxLsQ)

Sato/Dunjgen seem to have decided that pwetty, floaty pwincess in delicate dresses skating to sweet, soft music is the right packaging for her. Give me this Alissa back any day: Jesse Cook SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igTgLpC2orQ) Even when she fell, I loved her attack and engagement with the music and movement every time she skated this program.

I doubt we will see Alissa skate with this kind of attack anymore. She was much younger and stronger and i think mentally she's just worn out. Another almost six seasons since this skate in 2005 has taken it's toll on her mentally and physically.

wickedwitch
03-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Hypothetically, if Alissa skates really badly at worlds and lands at the end of the pack, could the US actually end up with only one US lady spot? How do the numbers need to play out as far as placements?Ashley would have to finish 13th or lower.

geod2
03-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Hypothetically, if Alissa skates really badly at worlds and lands at the end of the pack, could the US actually end up with only one US lady spot? How do the numbers need to play out as far as placements?

Combined placements totalling > 28 or either skater failing to complete their programs (presumably through injury WD too late for the alternate to replace them) would also cost the U.S. one spot.
Is that correct?

***The odds of either are, thankfully, extremely small.***

Alissa (21%) is slightly ahead of Ashley (20%) in the poll of who will make the Worlds podium. (poll was opened a week ago).

demetriosj
03-15-2012, 11:10 PM
I was wondering of there is something going on with Alissa that we don't know....something distracting. Her sister, Amber, had a cancer issue two years ago. Does anyone know if that might be back?

don't think we should be speculating about this.

AJ Skatefan
03-15-2012, 11:30 PM
don't think we should be speculating about this.

ITA. If Alissa wants us to know about her family life, diet, vitamin regimen or anything like that, she'll tell us. Otherwise it's not our business.

Sparks
03-15-2012, 11:47 PM
^^^Golly. You're killing some people's fun! :violin:

leafygreens
03-16-2012, 01:55 AM
I still think Alissa is the prettiest skater we have, and most pleasant to watch, even if she bombs a couple of jumps.

AxelAnnie
03-16-2012, 02:06 AM
^^^ me too. I would rather watch Alissa skate (with falls) any time! She is just gorgeous on the ice. I re-watched her LP today, and I really liked it. I think she does the music justice, and hope she lays it down at Worlds.

victoriaheidi
03-16-2012, 03:23 AM
I still think Alissa is the prettiest skater we have, and most pleasant to watch, even if she bombs a couple of jumps.

I love watching her. When I saw her at SA, though, it was the first time I saw her short program this season. As soon as she finished her last jump, I turned to my dad and said, "phew, I can breathe again!"

Ziggy
03-16-2012, 06:09 AM
It's not like there are scores of non-US ladies with stellar consistency.

Yes, that is not really relevant though. ;)

My point was:

Just because Alissa skated badly, there's this predictable knee-jerk reaction: "She's terrible, send somebody else to Worlds!"

Yeah, because there's a throng of consistent US Ladies skating at her level.

Oh wait, there isn't.

P.S. Suggesting to send Gracie Gold is rather delusional because:

a) she has competed Junior all season
b) her training cycle was surely planned so that she peaked at Junior Worlds
c) she's done two international competitions in her lifetime

So basically what people would be expecting from her is:
- suddenly whipping up a Senior FS
- peaking again even though it wasn't planned for and she's probably either taking a break now or working on next season's programs
- dealing with the pressure of suddenly being thrown into the most important annual competition in the sport.

Splendid idea, yes. :scream:

Jammers
03-16-2012, 09:49 AM
I just want to finally watch a top US lady skater who doesn't look petrified when she takes the ice. Not a lot to ask for but it seems like it is now.

olympic
03-16-2012, 12:07 PM
I just want to finally watch a top US lady skater who doesn't look petrified when she takes the ice. Not a lot to ask for but it seems like it is now.

We've got Ashley circa 2012 .... and now Zhang ....

fan5
03-16-2012, 03:14 PM
everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. for me, valse triste, even this cut which others find so objectionable, is very beautiful and sufficiently evocative with variable shadings *if* the skater brings the rest of the package. complaints about valse triste reminds me of when people bashed spartacus as lacking sufficient energy and spark to 'carry' mirai nagasu. true, valse triste is not the artistic bandaid that a chopped up EoE has been for many skaters, but if you (the skater) respect your capability as an artist, nothing wrong with not going down the beaten path. again, your mileage may vary, but for me the korngold piece brought out czisny's strengths, and valse triste had the potential to do the same.

i must admit i just do not like that 'winter...' winston music, so i am not as capable of seeing all the colors and magic in it that others are able to see. transitions... hmm. for me czisny's programs tend to be fairly barren of them, but i'm just not impressed by transitions in general--often, it's just a skater lifting the leg then putting it down again or doing a 12 millisecond ina bauer before resuming stalking a jump, so, i didn't find winston so much more 'transition-packed' or otherwise more complete and full of changes in mood and tempo. if anything for me winston's music was watery, and then slightly faster watery, and then truly monotonous while czisny did an extended spin. there is a more upbeat middle section to czisny's valse triste program as well, and for me it differed more from the opening section of her program than winston's 'winter' music differed from the previous 'winter' passage.

for me, it was not a mistake to use this cut of music (yes, this exact cut) for czisny, because while i'm not a fan, i respect her quiet blades on the ice, the quiet hush she could cast upon an arena. i don't believe the rink is quiet only because everyone is holding breath praying for success on her next jump. i think it is good, at least in theory, to create a program that emphasizes a unique strength in the age of louder and faster and as-much-eye-popping-flexibility as possible. if it were not for the fact that her jump technique seems not as stable as last season for whatever reason, people would not be scrambling for a scapegoat and pinning it on the music / music cut/ choreography.

if as fan5 says the choreography is associated with a particular scene, then perhaps if she and her team had blitzed the press with comments about the artistic impetus behind their work (taking a page from the duchesnays' 'missing'), the program would have been differently received. i myself think no explanation was necessary, just a few more successful jumps.

While just watching Virtue & Moir's 2007 World's Valse Triste lp, part of the commentary had to do with the "two approaches" to presenting a program to an audience. One is to "push" it to them and the other is to give them "a peek into something that might be very special", Virtue & Moir's approach very subtle as is I believe Czisny's. Virtue & Moir not only skated brilliantly but the cameras were there to capture hopefully everything they wished the audience to see.

fan5
03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
interesting! it's a sort of danse macabre then. is there a video for this drama, by chance?

i enjoyed her performance at TEB. i felt that Alissa was a fine interpreter of the music.

if anyone is interested, here's an artistic and poignant animated clip for "Valse triste". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sB6Q0-SaNk&t=26s

- don't know how to do multiple quotes.

I'm glad to have watched the animated clip, and have looked for videos of the Valse Triste scene from the play Kuolema without success. There are though videos of musical performances including this one of what looks to be a recital at a music school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHc0Fu9ikbQ