PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Alissa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

VALuvsMKwan
03-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Sorry, not a fact. That's about as "opinion" as one can get ;) (Fact would be something like, she's Natl silver medalist)

And before she can do anything "artistically", she needs to land those darn jumps first.

Pot, kettle, black on opinions. :rolleyes:

Your sense of artistic taste may focus a skater's landing the jumps (and in an overall program sense and from a scoring perspective, I do believe her PCS will go up the better she performs on the jumps and the stronger her performance "oomph", for want of a better term, is) - but, if you think you have the only or controlling definition of what "artistically" means, think again.

Ziggy
03-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Also, for all the bitching about Alissa, it's not like there's scores of female US skaters with stellar consistency. :P

RD
03-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I do believe her PCS will go up the better she performs on the jumps and the stronger her performance "oomph", for want of a better term, is) - but, if you think you have the only or controlling definition of what "artistically" means, think again

And I said that where :rolleyes:

Whatever, my point is that if she cannot land her jumps, it won't make much difference.

it's not like there's scores of female US skaters with stellar consistency.

Yes, that's really unfortunate though. Cohen got lots of flack for "inconsistency" but that was during a time many were spoiled by Kwan, etc. But today's American ladies have nothing on either of them. The ones that DID turn out to have some sort of jump consistency (Flatt in 2009/2010) didn't have much else to support it.

krenseby
03-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Mirai is so lost mentally at this point it'd be a waste to send her...

How exactly do you know her state of mind at this moment? Maybe she feels like she can take on the world right now!

IceAlisa
03-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Also, for all the bitching about Alissa, it's not like there's scores of female US skaters with stellar consistency. :P

It's not like there are scores of non-US ladies with stellar consistency.

olympic
03-15-2012, 07:00 PM
It's not like there are scores of non-US ladies with stellar consistency.

True.

Except for maybe Kostner (this season only). The other Euro Ladies are all over the map.

Asada and Suzuki come to mind.

IceAlisa
03-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Kostner has had a good season but prior to that...

AxelAnnie
03-15-2012, 07:29 PM
I was wondering of there is something going on with Alissa that we don't know....something distracting. Her sister, Amber, had a cancer issue two years ago. Does anyone know if that might be back?

Triple Butz
03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
I was wondering of there is something going on with Alissa that we don't know....something distracting. Her sister, Amber, had a cancer issue two years ago. Does anyone know if that might be back?

So first she was injured, then she had a weight issue, now her sister's cancer may be back. What's next? Was Czisny abducted by aliens right before she flew to Hague and they replaced her an alien clone? dun...dun...DUN! Stay tuned to Worlds in Nice to find out!
:P

kwanatic
03-15-2012, 08:07 PM
How exactly do you know her state of mind at this moment? Maybe she feels like she can take on the world right now!

As I'm not her nor do I have access to her, I can't tell you her exact state of mind; I go by what she does on the ice. Judging by what she did in her SP and LP after all of the positive reports we received about her practices, one can infer that she was ready physically (as evident by all of the practice reports) but mentally she was in different place (judging by her performances and her own words after her LP, "I practice so well; why can't I compete?").

Like Alissa, Mirai has a tough time shutting off her brain when she skates. Alissa seemed to have mastered that at a point last season but it's not really there this season. Mirai has had moments "in the zone" (2010 nationals, Vancouver, 4CC last year) but they're far too sporadic. It's obvious she's capable of skating well but for some reason when it comes time to do it, she clams up...mentally, her focus isn't there.

I'm one who thinks she could take on the best in the world and win...but not in her current state. Her confidence is too low, her focus is too low, and she just seemed very hollow this season. I really hope to see a refreshed and revitalized Mirai next fall. Hopefully this less than great season will motivate her to work harder and really find that mental toughness she needs to be the best..but as of now I'd send Caroline, Rachael or Agnes to worlds before I'd send Mirai...

kwanatic
03-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Kostner has had a good season but prior to that...

Carolina had a good season last year too, remember?

IceAlisa
03-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Carolina had a good season last year too, remember?

Not really. She's never really been as good as she is this season. Other than that she was usually a candidate for a meltdown.

geod2
03-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Was Czisny abducted by aliens right before she flew to Hague and they replaced her an alien clone?

Watching her LP, for just a moment I wondered the same thing!! :lol:

martyross
03-15-2012, 09:36 PM
I wonder if judges would be biased toward alien clones.

snoopyskater
03-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Hypothetically, if Alissa skates really badly at worlds and lands at the end of the pack, could the US actually end up with only one US lady spot? How do the numbers need to play out as far as placements?