PDA

View Full Version : Elaine Zayak and the triple toe/double toe/double loop combination

missing
03-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I was exercycling this morning to the 1984 Olympics (Scott Hamilton won:lol:). ABC showed Elaine Zayak's freeskate, and she did a triple toe/double toe/double loop combination.

Dick and Peggy noted it, but didn't seem frenzied with excitement. So I was wondering if other skaters in that era or before were doing a three jump combination, and if it had fallen out of favor until fairly recently.

gkelly
03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I think combinations of three double jumps in a row were pretty common in the 80s and 90s at junior and novice levels, and seniors who didn't have (many, or any) triples. As triples became more important and more senior ladies were trying to fill most of their jump passes with triples, we didn't see many with two doubles on the end.

DORISPULASKI
03-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Another favorite we don't see any more is a double jump followed by a triple toe (or if it's Midori Ito, sometimes a triple loop, like her great 2Lp3Lp combination at 1988 Olympics).

The seniors used to have an assigned double jump for the SP combination. If it was a double lutz, they'd tack a triple toe on it.

Once a skater had learned how to do this stuff, they would do it in LP's occasionally.

And yes, those multiple jump combos, usually doubles, were also done in pairs.

Elaine's was unusual for having a 3T in it somewhere, because she could throw a 3T in anywhere.

olympic
03-12-2012, 02:09 PM
I was exercycling this morning to the 1984 Olympics (Scott Hamilton won:lol:). ABC showed Elaine Zayak's freeskate, and she did a triple toe/double toe/double loop combination.

Dick and Peggy noted it, but didn't seem frenzied with excitement. So I was wondering if other skaters in that era or before were doing a three jump combination, and if it had fallen out of favor until fairly recently.

No. I don't recall anyone doing 3 jump combos. Elaine's 3t-2t-2l was probably noted unenthusiastically by Dick and Peggy because they had the pretty princess ideal in Roz and Tiffany to gush over. Powerful skaters without a ballerina style were not a fave of the USFSA and Elaine certainly didn't fit the bill (I take satisfaction in that Elaine's programs hold up better under CoP than Roz or Tiffany). Elaine was pretty much relegated to the status of #3 US lady, and anything she did in Sarajevo was a footnote to the main competition

Maximillian
03-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Actually Dick was all over Elaine in Sarajevo, he especially loved her entry into her combo (backward entry) and the fact that she did one of her spins (Think it was the camel) on an outside edge, as well as the three jump combo. Button was very vocal about the unjust scoring Zayak received in the SP and LP and seemed quite upset about it (as well he should have).

Peggy, of course, was very meh about Elaine per usual.

skatesindreams
03-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Hear Dick and Peggy for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHfiv1pF5U

falling_dance
03-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Just curious: Did any other lady land the triple loop in Sarajevo?

DORISPULASKI
03-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Didn't Chin try a 3F (step out0? Midori Ito had a 3Lp at this point, but she wasn't at Olympics. She was at Sr. World and Jr. worlds though, in 1984.

floskate
03-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Ivanova landed one but it was very underrotated and Kondrashova fell on her triple loop. Can't think of anyone else who had the jump at that event. Leistner and Vodorezova doubled theirs.

essence_of_soy
03-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Ivanova landed the same three jump combination at '84 Worlds in her free program too.

Regarding the triple loop, I wonder if Elizabeth Manley had it in her repertoire at that point? I recall seeing her include it from 1986 onwards, but not prior to that.

Coco
03-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Ivanova landed one but it was very underrotated and Kondrashova fell on her triple loop. Can't think of anyone else who had the jump at that event. Leistner and Vodorezova doubled theirs.

So see everybody, Kostner's content is WAY AHEAD of early 80s ladies :)

(In case you can't tell, I'm making fun of people who criticize her lack of a 3z.)

judgejudy27
03-13-2012, 02:51 AM
So see everybody, Kostner's content is WAY AHEAD of early 80s ladies :)

Early 80s yes, late 80s no.