PDA

View Full Version : "Girl Gone Wild" - Madonna's New Single

Pages : 1 [2]

VIETgrlTerifa
03-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Not quite on topic but I think MDNA is seriously one of the best albums Madonna has produced. Although I'm a big Madonna fan, I was worried after that half-assed effort of "Give Me All Your Luvin'" but the rest of album is surprisingly content-filled with clever and pulsating production. It's quite a dark album and yet in true Madonna fashion, she's able to turn it into a celebration. I never thought Madonna could make an album that worked as a whole again after Music (much leas Ray of Light) despite having some great moments in her other albums post-Music. No, it's not Ray of Light but this album works and it's the surprisngly one of her best albums.

Back on point of the thread, I sort of think Girl Gone Wild is sort of an F-You to those who think Madonna needs to play a "good girl" (woman) role at her post-menopausal stage of her life and she talks about she's tried that (while being Ms. Ritchie) but she just can't do it. After the first listen, I brushed off this song but thanks to Ziggy, I gave it another chance and I'm surprised at the subtle clever production here. All the Lauper references and video referencing Madonna Erotica phase are just reminders that Madonna isn't trying to out-do Gaga or fit in with the new crowd. She's doing what she's always done and tellIng the haters she is what she always was and you're mad or uncomfortable? She doesn't give a... Is this song the best song on the album? Not even close, but it gets the message across of what the musical tone and attitude if MDNA is all about and I think it's a great dance track that will be a hit in the clubs.

Ziggy, I'm glad that Madonna chose to do the video this way. She's been heavily criticized during her marriage with Guy Ritchie that she turned her back on her gay fan base and tried to clean up her act for the more conservative mainstream of the 2000s. I think she's waking up to those criticisms and is going to show that she never left and still loves the gay club sub-culture she used to be known for championing in the 80s-90s.

Forbes wrote a good write-up about Madonna and sexuality at her age.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghancasserly/2012/03/27/madonnas-mighty-menopausal-comeback-still-sexy-or-still-selling-sex/

Btw, Britney writing better dance tracks than Madonna? Ok...

Aussie Willy
03-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Back on point of the thread, I sort of think Girl Gone Wild is sort of an F-You to those who think Madonna needs to play a "good girl" (woman) role at her post-menopausal stage of her life and she talks about she's tried that (while being Ms. Ritchie) but she just can't do it.
Hmmm no it is more a big F-You to good music.

antmanb
03-28-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't know I just think it the whole thing sums up her ego pretty well. It's very self referential - the video that nods to Vogue, Erotica, Human Nature. She references her own lyrics throughout the video, she even has the gay men fawning over her in a sexual way in the end because, you know, it's all about her and she can obviously turn them gays :rolleyes:

I don't care if she's over 50, but I just wonder what Lourdes thinks when she watches this video. The thought of your parents being sexual is usual beyond squicky for most people but for the majority we don't have to see our parents doing this sort of thing....maybe the fact there's so many filters used on the whole thing she can pretend it was someone else. Or maybe there's a boat load of brain bleach being delivered to the Ciccone residence.

Fergus
03-28-2012, 05:55 PM
LOVING it! :respec: :cheer2:

The worst song on the album, IMHO, is that *blerg* with Nikki Minaj and MIA. :blah: Sorta glad that flopped.....

Best Madge album in ages, methinks. :biggrinbo

VIETgrlTerifa
03-28-2012, 08:03 PM
For those who listened to the album, what do you think should be the next single? I know "Turn Up the Radio" is being groomed to be her summer single, but I think "Superstar" has the makings of being a big radio hit, plus it's nice to hear Madonna being motherly and singing about her love for Lola. It's also the most "pop" out of her songs. Shame that "I F----- Up" won't see the light of day since it's so explicit because it's one of the best songs. I can see "I Don't Give A" being a great single. I'm addicted to "Gang Bang" because I like how raw and angry she is on that song and how it pokes fun of Guy Ritchie's violent aethetics to his films. "B-Day" song is so great because you never hear Madonna doing a garage band sound and it sounds like M.I.A and her had tons of fun doing that song. Plus, I sort of think it's a wink to those talking about her age and saying she's not aging gracefully. Right or wrong, she's getting older and is happy singing her songs.

If Madonna were to release a ballad as a single (when was the last time that happened? "Power of Goodbye" on Ray of Light?) it has to be "Falling Free". That song is gorgeous. Aussie Willy, I have a feeling you'd seriously enjoy that one because she goes away from her 80s style "thin" singing and her voice sounds full and authentic a la Ray of Light era.

hydro
03-28-2012, 08:17 PM
For those who listened to the album, what do you think should be the next single?

I love Superstar and Love Spent. I think they'd both make good singles :)

topaz
03-29-2012, 03:41 PM
For those who listened to the album, what do you think should be the next single? I know "Turn Up the Radio" is being groomed to be her summer single, but I think "Superstar" has the makings of being a big radio hit, plus it's nice to hear Madonna being motherly and singing about her love for Lola. It's also the most "pop" out of her songs. Shame that "I F----- Up" won't see the light of day since it's so explicit because it's one of the best songs. I can see "I Don't Give A" being a great single. I'm addicted to "Gang Bang" because I like how raw and angry she is on that song and how it pokes fun of Guy Ritchie's violent aethetics to his films. "B-Day" song is so great because you never hear Madonna doing a garage band sound and it sounds like M.I.A and her had tons of fun doing that song. Plus, I sort of think it's a wink to those talking about her age and saying she's not aging gracefully. Right or wrong, she's getting older and is happy singing her songs.

If Madonna were to release a ballad as a single (when was the last time that happened? "Power of Goodbye" on Ray of Light?) it has to be "Falling Free". That song is gorgeous. Aussie Willy, I have a feeling you'd seriously enjoy that one because she goes away from her 80s style "thin" singing and her voice sounds full and authentic a la Ray of Light era.

I've listened to the album via Rhapsody. Falling Free is absolutely beautiful. Her best vocals since Masterpiece is haunting and Madge sound beautiful on it. I have Falling Free and Masterpiece on repeat:)

I like I F**ked Up and Girls Gone Wild is fabulous. GGW reminds of Celebration. The remix versions of Celebrations are simply incredible. I can't wait for the GGW remixes