PDA

View Full Version : Why call 2.5 Twisting Yurchenko an Amanar?

Pages : [1] 2

bardtoob
03-09-2012, 04:19 AM
Why call 2.5 Twisting Yurchenko an Amanar?

Spareoom
03-09-2012, 04:21 AM
Because Simona Amanar was the first woman to compete it in an Olympics or Worlds, and the skill is named after her. It's also a lot easier to say. :p

bardtoob
03-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Well, I know that, but it is still a Yurchenko vault.

BigB08822
03-09-2012, 04:34 AM
Gymnastics is silly that way. You can take a skill and add a half turn or what not and instead of calling it what it is they name it after the gymnast who did it first. Sometimes I like it (it IS easier to say Amanar) but sometimes it is just silly and more confusing than anything.

judgejudy27
03-09-2012, 04:35 AM
I would call it after someone who does it better but oh well. I never saw her to it impressively, her best was at the Europeans in 2000 when she won, but even that wasnt that great.

judgejudy27
03-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Gymnastics is silly that way. You can take a skill and add a half turn or what not and instead of calling it what it is they name it after the gymnast who did it first. Sometimes I like it (it IS easier to say Amanar) but sometimes it is just silly and more confusing than anything.

Imagine if they called the triple axel the Taylor. That would be funny, yet it would be the equivalent.

BigB08822
03-09-2012, 04:43 AM
It would be kind of funny if every jump in skating was named after someone. So you would have the Axel, the Button and the Taylor which are all the same jumps but with different amounts of revolutions. (I think Button did the 2axel first....)

Karpenko
03-09-2012, 07:22 AM
It rolls off the tongue so much better than two and a half twisting yurchenko.

And then I thought about the gymnast its named after, although not my favorite, is still easier to say than Zamolodchikova (the first to actually ever compete this vault)... So Amanar it is. After this year though, we might as well call that vault the United States.

Loves_Shizuka
03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Who was the first to do the DTY? The earliest I can recall I've seen was Shushu in 88, but I'm sure I'm wrong.

Karpenko
03-09-2012, 09:19 AM
A lot of people on gymnastics boards refer to it as a Baitova, after Svetlana Baitova who I believe first did it in 86 or 87??

Loves_Shizuka
03-09-2012, 10:50 AM
^Ahhh. Baitova. I love her UB's.

Scintillation
03-09-2012, 03:58 PM
There is an interesting video on youtube of skills that are named after gymnasts because they were the first to submit them at a Worlds or Olympics, not because they were the first to compete them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alltr18jkjI

bek
03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I actually really like the practice of naming skills after people who originated them. I think its cool.

skipaway
03-09-2012, 06:04 PM
There is an interesting video on youtube of skills that are named after gymnasts because they were the first to submit them at a Worlds or Olympics, not because they were the first to compete them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alltr18jkjI

Thanks for posting that...how very interesting.

Skittl1321
03-09-2012, 06:10 PM
It would be kind of funny if every jump in skating was named after someone. So you would have the Axel, the Button and the Taylor which are all the same jumps but with different amounts of revolutions. (I think Button did the 2axel first....)

We do have a Salchow...

In roller skating they call a toe-loop the Mapes, after the person who did it first.
And isn't a loop referred to as a Rittenberger or something like that in Europe?

Of course, these aren't named for revolutions. But then I feel like we'd have a lot of jumps with the same names... (didn't Donald Jackson do the first of a few of the triples?)