PDA

View Full Version : State of Chinas pairs going forward- will they ever remain as contenders

Pages : [1] 2 3

judgejudy27
03-09-2012, 03:59 AM
The Chinese have had a pair on every World podium since 1999 now. That streak seems in serious jeopardy this year though, as the Chinese are not favored to win any medal. A bronze is possible but Kavaguti & Smirnov are favored to win the bronze.

Looking ahead might this be the start of a long drought for China not medalling in pairs. Pang & Tong are near the end of their careers and dont seem that motivated anymore. Sui & Han might end going bust completely once she grows fully. Zhang & Zhang dont seem to be contenders anymore, nor likely to become one again in the future. Nobody else they have coming up is noteworthy right now.

MR-FAN
03-09-2012, 04:19 AM
Nope, China's got at least another decade of being contenders

judgejudy27
03-09-2012, 04:28 AM
Nope, China's got at least another decade of being contenders

With whom though. Will Sui & Han survive a big growth spurt by her. I really hope they do as I like them, but I have my doubts. It would be some to see some more up and coming Chinese pairs, they have relied on the former big 3 of Shen & Zhou, Pang & Tong, Zhang & Zhang too long without developing enough new teams, and now 2 of those 3 are arguably still out there when they dont even want to be anymore in an attempt to keep China up there (which is becoming increasingly hard for both, which have already peaked in their skating and likely career achievements).

Jenna
03-09-2012, 04:40 AM
Yu/Jin and very promising, as are Li/Jiang. China has nothing to worry about in pairs for now.

MR-FAN
03-09-2012, 05:38 AM
With whom though. Will Sui & Han survive a big growth spurt by her.

I wouldn't worry about it. Growth spurts aren't as big of a deal for pairs as it is for ladies. I mean worse comes to worst, no more quads, but refined triples instead.

Yukari Lepisto
03-09-2012, 06:12 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Growth spurts aren't as big of a deal for pairs as it is for ladies. I mean worse comes to worst, no more quads, but refined triples instead.

I think it depends, if it's a growth spurt like Dan Zhang's, it'll be very hard. But you know, with China, we probably won't see Sui having a growth spurt at least at the ISU age of 20 just like Dan Zhang.. :slinkaway

Vash01
03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
The judges seem to love Sui-Han. They won't wait too long to put them on the podium.

julieann
03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
China has only had three good pairs teams and now one is gone. Actually I predict the Zhangs are gone as well....sadly. Pang and Tong can run hot or cold but if they can skate as well as they did in the 2010 season they can certainly skate just as well as S/S or V/T when S/S or V/T make mistakes, those teams are not infallible. I just donít think they are really to compete at that high level yet, but they almost took that gold from S/Z so I wouldnít count them out from doing it to someone in 2014.

Or P/T can skate as bad as we saw in January which won't get them any higher than 4th-6th at Worlds. They have been out of competition all year and maybe lost their edge so that might affect them. I donít think K/S are a lock for the bronze they havenít competed since the beginning of December, he took time off to heal his knee, had stomach surgery; who knows what they will look like. I would just be glad they are going and look ahead to next season. I think both teams should easily beat S/H for with 3rd or 4th place, 5th at the very worst.

Han is a very short pairs man, probably one of the shortest I've ever seen and she will outgrow him soon with her only being 4'7". She can only grow no more than 3" before she will have to find a new partner. She is only 16 (I'm not getting into her age discrepancy :shuffle:) she will not stay 4'7" so China will have problems very soon with that pair.

China has wonderful young pairs teams that I hope they pay attention to, they really can make a splash and do well if they are nurtured.

love_skate2011
03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
It's not dire at all they have S/H and Y/J to take over the aging P/T and Z/Z
S/H has a bright future, the only thing that could hamper that would be if she really has a fake age and will still get a growth spurt and they will lose all their quads. S/H can't make up for anything else, horrendous lines and skating skills but Y/J has potential they have overall great lines and lifts are good.

Yukari Lepisto
03-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Han is a very short pairs man, probably one of the shortest I've ever seen and she will outgrow him soon with her only being 4'7". She can only grow no more than 3" before she will have to find a new partner. She is only 16 (I'm not getting into her age discrepancy :shuffle:) she will not stay 4'7" so China will have problems very soon with that pair.

I think they have at least 3 years before she hits growth spurt :shuffle:, which will be after Sochi.

And I agree with the other post, that I much prefer Y/J

love_skate2011
03-09-2012, 07:15 PM
^

If the fake age is true
how old is Sui currently, 14 or 15 ?

pinky166
03-09-2012, 07:45 PM
^

If the fake age is true
how old is Sui currently, 14 or 15 ?

14. I want to say her fake age was September 1997.

letsskate
03-09-2012, 08:43 PM
14. I want to say her fake age was September 1997.

Sui's actually younger than 14. But Han Yan's the opposite case of Sui. I really can't reveal my source, so people can believe it or not.

waltzNo1
03-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Sui's actually younger than 14. But Han Yan's the opposite case of Sui. I really can't reveal my source, so people can believe it or not.
Gosh, how can I believe you if you don't even know the correct name of the boy in S/H pair? The boy's name is Cong Han!

Rafter
03-09-2012, 09:36 PM

She looks about 11 or 12 to me.

It will be interesting to see how she grows and if she gets too tall for him. He isn't very tall.