PDA

View Full Version : State of Chinas pairs going forward- will they ever remain as contenders

Pages : 1 2 [3]

zgr4088
03-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Cong Han's former partner was on the substitute list of 2012 JWC. That girl outgrew him.

pinky166
03-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Jin is almost 6' (5'11.5" according to his bio). Yu can grow to 5'4.5" for an acceptable height difference 7" as Shen/Zhao's

Well, hopefully she won't exceed that, but it could be possible if she is actually around 5'3" now, which she appears to be judging from those pictures at junior worlds.

feraina
03-11-2012, 04:32 AM
Cong Han's former partner was on the substitute list of 2012 JWC. That girl outgrew him.

Who's that?

zgr4088
03-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Who's that?

The girl is Cheng Peng
Her current partner is Tianci Zhang

feraina
03-12-2012, 02:33 AM
The girl is Cheng Peng
Her current partner is Tianci Zhang

Never heard of these two before. They are pretty good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqrpHUs4qkc

Very nice sbs 3T. Where did they place?

Sylvia
03-12-2012, 03:16 AM

Peng/Zhang placed 6th overall (of 10 pairs) in the Chinese National Winter Games - link to results/protocols/a video playlist posted in the competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3508086&postcount=23

Jenna
03-12-2012, 03:25 AM
They are good! Might they get a JGP next year?

P.S. She looks like she is wearing Mao's dress from 09-10

feraina
03-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Peng/Zhang placed 6th overall (of 10 pairs) in the Chinese National Winter Games - link to results/protocols/a video playlist posted in the competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3508086&postcount=23

Thanks for looking this up. So they placed sixth after all the better known teams who have been competing internationally, except Li/Jiang (9th), who did JGP's and JW. They are doing really well after one season together (and one season of pairs altogether for Zhang, I think). Personally I wish they had been sent to JW instead of Li/Jiang. But I think it's politics at play again. Li/Jiang are not coached by Luan, who coaches both Sui/Han and Yu/Jin, as well as Peng/Zhang. The Chinese federation was probably spreading the wealth a little among the coaches. Maybe Yu/Jin and Sui/Han will both go senior next year, and then Peng/Zhang as well as Wang/Zhang will get a chance to do JGP's (I'm sure Li/Jiang will go again -- though I wish they would switch coaches or something, because they have awful skating skills and are packaged terribly).

wonderlen
03-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I think realistically S/H should be between 5-10th place. They are still very young and I am sure the judges will make them wait their turn (which they should). I don't see them challenging for medal until after Sochi. Hopefully by them both the german pair and top two Russian pairs would be retire by them then all the young pairs will be mature and developed as all rounded skaters, not just jumping and throwing .

judgejudy27
03-14-2012, 04:36 AM
I think realistically S/H should be between 5-10th place. They are still very young and I am sure the judges will make them wait their turn (which they should). I don't see them challenging for medal until after Sochi. Hopefully by them both the german pair and top two Russian pairs would be retire by them then all the young pairs will be mature and developed as all rounded skaters, not just jumping and throwing .

If everyone skates reasonably well at Worlds I would be dissapointed if Sui & Han were placed any higher than 6th. All 3 Russian teams, Savchenko & Szolkowy, and Pang & Tong ought to be above them in that case, based on what their current level is. If they are any higher than that, unless 1 of those teams messed up (not too unlikely, Barazova & Larinov imparticular well could, and they are the team that would have the least margin of error to begin with), then I will start to worry about the judging and what politiks might be at play to their rise. Savchenko & Szolkowy and Volosozhar & Trankov should have atleast a 3 fall cushion over them at this point, they are much better both on the TES and PCS right now.

skateboy
03-14-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm not convinced time is up for Z/Z just yet. Barring permanent injury, they do have the potential for a comeback. They're not as old as Shen/Zhao were when they emerged from a technically competent but not very artistic pair. Z/Z are capable of combing their technical prowess with artistry--it's rare but they have done it at times.

But this, of course, depends on their hunger for success, not to mention being taken seriously by their coaches and choreographers.

Yukari Lepisto
03-14-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm not convinced time is up for Z/Z just yet. Barring permanent injury, they do have the potential for a comeback. They're not as old as Shen/Zhao were when they emerged from a technically competent but not very artistic pair. Z/Z are capable of combing their technical prowess with artistry--it's rare but they have done it at times.

But this, of course, depends on their hunger for success, not to mention being taken seriously by their coaches and choreographers.

The major problem for Z/Z right now is not the injury, it's her height, something people always ignore. His shoulder injury's also caused because of her height. She's over 170cm in height now.

Dan Hang hit several growth spurt starting at the ISU bio age of around 21 or 22 years old... which I'm not gonna comment on..... ;)

Yukari Lepisto
03-14-2012, 08:25 AM

Agree that they're quite good! I much prefer them to Sui/Han actually.

judgejudy27
03-14-2012, 09:27 AM

They have a number of problems it seems:

1. Technically they are not one of the dominant teams anymore. They have declined somewhat, their big tricks arent as spectacular as once and they are more inconsistent, while others like the Russians, Germans, younger Chinese, and even Canadians are raising. A move like the triple twist they used to be the best in the World at, yet now compare their GOE and points on that move to what a team like V/T got at the GP final.

2. The judges are no longer on their side and havent been for awhile.

3. Relating to #2 I dont think they are the Chinese fed. favorites anymore. They are no longer their current nor future investment. Amongst current pairs they will politik more for Pang & Tong and Sui & Han, and then there are other up and comers they will politik more for in the future. While it "might" be due to injury, it is also perhaps telling they were left off the 2 pair Chinese team for Worlds.

4. While they have improved their artistry, their PCS have actually dropped further. They used to be too high for what they put out, and now they seem too low often, which relates to #2 and #3 as well probably.

5. She seems to have grown more which is probably why their air tricks arent quite as spectacular as before, why they seem to struggle with lifts sometimes now, and he has a number of injuries the last couple years.

Add to all that they have been competing at the top level for a decade now, will be 30ish after Sochi, which is the point they would have to shoot for being real contenders again if they continued as teams like Savchenko & Szolkowy and Voloszhar & Trankov are clearly out of their, and most everyones, reach until that point.