PDA

View Full Version : Help with Word and Excel Tests

FiveRinger
03-08-2012, 09:27 PM
I have to take a Word and Excel tests for a job that I applied for. It's been years since I've done this type of assessment and was kind of surprised at having to do one now. Anyway, long story short, does anyone know if there are websites that have good tutorials and assessments that I can practice on? I am pretty good with both programs, but when testing, you never know what they're going to ask and from what I remember, they can be tricky. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

FigureSpins
03-09-2012, 01:21 AM
www.lynda.com is good. www.dice.com has a consultant cram board where they can learn enough to get past the tech interview.

agalisgv
03-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Don't know any websites, but best of luck on the job!!!

Aussie Willy
03-09-2012, 01:40 AM
When I was doing temp work I went to so many agencies that used so many different types of tests for both Word and Excell. Biggest pain these days is trying to come to grips with Office 2010. Why do they have to try and make everything so "user friendly"? Doesn't help when you are so used to the older versions.

Good luck with it all and hope you get the job.

UMBS Go Blue
03-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Here's what seems to be a good tutorial on how to strategize for an Excel modeling and business planning exercise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJfvkFDxus0

This guy has a number of Excel videos up at his channel (wstss):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7a94-5auVo

Unless I'm selecting multiple non-adjacent cells, or large ranges of cells, I try to avoid using the mouse if at all possible on Excel, except for certain functions for which I've built a customized toolbar. Here's a list of Excel shortcuts; there are probably many more lists out there.
http://www.exceltip.com/st/The_Best_Shortcut_Keys_in_Microsoft_Excel/1.html

The shortcuts I use the most include Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-Y, Ctrl-1, Alt-E-S-V, Alt-E-S-T, Ctrl-[arrow], and, of course, F9 (assuming autocalc is turned off).

JILEN
03-09-2012, 02:22 AM
What i hate about those tests are the short time limit. You are asked to do this and that and before you can figure it out it's time to move on to the next. Last one I took where I have to link formulas in multiple worksheets and sort data and produce three kinds of graph at the end drove me crazy. Bottom line I told them then that my score does not reflect my overall excel skills.

I also remember some sample test I took on line but I have to buy them if I can only remember the link...

Go get them Fiveringer!

FiveRinger
03-12-2012, 06:01 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input......I took my tests this morning and passed with flying colors. Thanks to everyone!!!

ETA: It helped a lot that I was given the choice of which versions of Microsoft I wanted to use....2003, 07 or 2010.

UMBS Go Blue
03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
:cheer2: :respec: :cheer2:

agalisgv
03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Congrats, and good luck with the job!!!

JILEN
03-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Congrats!!!!

Aussie Willy
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Well done on the tests :)