PDA

View Full Version : Michigan lottery winner collected food stamps after winning...

Pages : 1 2 [3]

milanessa
03-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Here's what's odd (to me) about this story: The first video about it I saw showed a black woman outside her house. Last night, I saw a few angry Facebook posts with article links. The thumbnail photo showed another woman holding the big check.

Were there two different people abusing the system this week, or just the one story?

Maybe it was the maid. ;)

There are likely more than two people abusing the system any given week but Amanda Clayton is a young (24) white, single mother.

milanessa
03-09-2012, 04:24 PM
According to the reporter who did the piece, the woman didn't do anything illegal. Just unethical.

I assume the reporter who's based in MI would have pointed out any illegalities if they existed.

Well, she may have broken one law.

The paper also quoted a spokesman for the Michigan Department of Human Services as saying that Clayton might have violated a state law requiring food stamp recipients to report changes to their income and assets within 10 days.

JILEN
03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I have to say shame, shame shame!

I think the Dept of Social Services which has every intention of helping people get back on their feet has the right to demand the funds back, every penny of it. The lady failed to report the change in her status or circumstance as required by law of any FS, SSI, TNIF recipients. It is almost similar to not stopping your unemployement benefits/checks from coming long after you have found a job, a more complicated example though but you know what I mean:)..

overedge
03-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Here's some more examples of walfare fraud. This couple received a housing allowance all the while living in a multimillion dollar house.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/seattle-welfare-recipient-lives-million-dollar-home-161252749.html

Here is a scam that allowed walfare recipients to buy cocaine with the money they received.
http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2012/03/08/updates/updates11.txt

No one is saying that there isn't welfare fraud going on. Just that it isn't as widespread as news stories like this might make it seem.

milanessa
10-03-2012, 03:08 AM
Dredging up this old thread to say she died of an apparently accidental drug overdose over the weekend.

aliceanne
10-03-2012, 04:27 AM
I saw that. Be careful what you wish for.

Japanfan
10-03-2012, 05:14 AM
The agencies in my area are pretty predatory about finding/catching recipients they think are getting money they shouldn't.

I'm not so sure about that. I know someone on a disability pension who hasn't been checked for seven years. In the past it's seemed that Social Services check welfare and disability recipients' bank records from time to time.

The person I refer to has violated the rules by putting money into her account for her own usage - an amount that would have been seen as substantial by the government. Part of it was inheritance and part of it was an accident settlement. The rule is that when a welfare or disability recipient receives money exceeding what is allowed per month in terms of earnings or other monies, that money has to be reported and held in trust. A person on disability can receive their monthly allotment of $400 from that trust, but no more.

The person did have the money from the accident settlement in trust at first, but decided to take it out of trust to keep for herself. Then she put a small inheritance directly into her account.

This point of this rule is to prevent people from enjoying inheritance money or the like and still collecting from the government. If you get a sizable amount and want to use it as you like, you can't stay on disability.

But as I said, the government hasn't bothered to check on this person at all. She recently was contacted by Revenue Canada because she hadn't done her taxes for seven years and the additional monies would have factored in to her tax return.

So Social Services hasn't checked on her in seven years. This suggests to me that the system is overburdened and understaffed, and not able to ensure that checks and balances are in place.