PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite & Least Favourite Elements

Pages : 1 [2]

LongTimeLurker
03-08-2012, 04:02 AM
Like:
Ina Bauer with a very arched back (like Shizuka Arakawa)
Footwork that goes with the character of the program
Layback spins with the free leg held away from the body (i.e. Angela Nikodinov)
Deep edges

Dislike:
Excessive, flappy arm movements during footwork sequences
Ugly free leg positions on laybacks (thanks, Uncle Dick!) :lol:
Y spins with bent legs (i.e. the skater isn't quite flexible enough to do them)
Labored stroking (okay, that sounds bad, but you know what I mean)
Pre-pubescent skaters trying to be "sexy". Yuck! :scream:

Coco
03-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Like:
pivots (not sure if that is the right name, but it's when the skater is on a super deep outside edge, while dragging the toe of the non-supporting leg slightly behind the supporting leg.

Dislike:
Pairs spins - dance teams have put the pairs to shame on this element. So many pairs are so far apart, have no speed and hit crappy positions - blech!

victoriaheidi
03-08-2012, 04:36 AM
Love: Alissa Czisny's Charlotte Spiral! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho33p_3lrfI&feature=player_detailpage#t=193s)

Will come up with something I don't like later.

dinakt
03-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Favorites - Russian Split Jumps, Spread Eagles, Ina Bauers, scratchspins, camel spins

Least favorite - the "butt" spin

Exactly like mine. Especially split jumps ( can be so effective!), spread eagles and well- executed camel spins.

geod2
03-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Favorite: Ina Bauer with arched back and head upside down
(Arikawa, Zhang, Cohen)

I wish someone would start a thread....IB doesn't get much attention on FSU.

misskarne
03-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Favourites:

- Ina Bauer (unlike some I actually like some of them that aren't laid right over. I'm a sucker for men who can do Inas. Ilia's was always beautiful and he couldn't lay back.) Spreadeagles too for that matter.

- 6.0 footwork - it tended to be powerful, spine-tingling, and in character. It may not have been the most difficult, but musically and emotionally it worked better.

- Split jumps!

- Tano jumps (but not Rippon jumps; I think both arms look ugly. Sorry. :()

- Fun or playful programs. (Not an element, I know. But personality! PLEASE!)

- A camel spin in proper position with the chest forward (not sideways) and leg stretched out and level with the hip, a good arch through the back and toe nicely pointed.

- A scratch spin! ;)

- Men who can do spirals! :P

- Male pair skaters who gently set their lady down as though she's a precious thing he doesn't want to break. That's how you do it.

Dislikes:

- IJS footwork: wake me up when it's over. Boring, unimaginitive, same-same, every skater doing the same thing, never fits the music right, rarely fits the character at all. And takes up half the freaking program.

- Camel spins with bent legs. Also, that horrible ugly transition from camel-to-other-position by dropping the leg and body to do it.

- Charlotte spirals, I spirals, Y spirals, whatever. Ladies, I do not need to see your privates. There is nothing wrong with a lovely, understated spiral that matches the music with the free leg just above hip height.

- Butt spins.

- Men who put their lady down like he's plonking a beer on the bar. :yikes:

- Skaters who have been on the Senior circuit for a year or more going to Junior Worlds.

- Sorry, OT.

- Unextended legs and unpointed toes.

jettasian
03-10-2012, 06:31 PM
I don't think there's such thing as IJS footwork or 6.0 footwork. It depends on the choreography and the skating skill, not the format of the judging.