PDA

View Full Version : 10 Greatest Skaters Who Never Won An Olympic Medal?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

TwizzlerS
03-06-2012, 02:35 AM
If you take out Meno & Sand and Jill Trenary, the list is like a collection of great (mostly American) skaters who didn't fit the mold or had some sort of scrappy, off-beat story. In that case, I think this is an interesting list.

pat c
03-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Underhill/Martini, Yuka Sato, Annenko/Sretenski, Drobiazko/Vanagas...........

kwanfan1818
03-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Oops, just got a PM that Cranston won a bronze medal, so he has to be scrapped from my list :o

Bronxfan
03-06-2012, 04:29 AM
Denise Biellman - I still think she should have won it all in Lake Placid - I know she had terrible school figures, but her skating in the short and long was amazing.

Vash01
03-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Urbanski & Marvel on this list? Beyond ridiculous.

31 is not that old for a pairs skater. Did U&M ever get within a mile of an Olympic medal?

Do these two ladies know much about figure skating? No Browning, Eldredge on this list just tells me that they know nothing.

Even Jill Trenary does not belong on this list. Her only chance at an Olympic medal was in 1988, and she was lucky to finish in 4th (or was it 5th?) place.

bardtoob
03-06-2012, 05:17 AM
I feel like I know less about skating after reading that Pinhead, oh, I mean Hairpin article.

BreakfastClub
03-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Was Todd really "always expected to medal"?

For the most part, especially in 1998.

He was the two-time reigning world bronze medalist ('90, '91) going into 1992, though he was injured in '92 and controversially named to the US team he surely was considered to have a shot at the podium.

He had a streak of nothing but world silver ('95, '97) and gold ('96) going into 1998 where someone else already mentioned that it was pretty much presumed that Stojko, Kulik and Eldredge would be the podium in some order. The only guy to invade the world podium from those three from 95-97 was Galindo's bronze in 96 and that's only because Stojko had the wipeout of his career in the SP.

In 2002 he was again the reigning world bronze medalist, though expectations weren't huge, he was definitely considered a threat for bronze with a half dozen other guys (while Yags and Plush were pretty much assumed to go 1-2 in either order.)

While the Browning omission completely discredits the list, I'm fine with Bonaly off of it. Tumbling on ice with flat edges and no stretch, lines or musical interpretation. Her lack of an O medal is one of the things they've got right it in the history of the sport. :shuffle:

Vash01
03-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Kurt Browning, obviously.

Maria Butyrskaya. Much more so than Harding or Bobek. She may have gotten shafted in Nagano for bronze.

I vaguely remember Urbanski/Marval because he was a truck driver, and she got into some sort of fight with a speed skater or something. Being the top pairs skaters in the US usually meant top 10 internationally, not a medalist. Didn't John Zimmerman and that girl he skated with come closer than Urbanski/Marval?

That girl was Kyoko Ina, and yes they were much closer to an Olympic podium than Urbanski-Marvel ever were. However, I don't think they had a realistic chance to beat B&S/S&P/S&Z for an Olympic medal in 2002 (the only Olympics they skated in), unless one of the top 3 pairs bombed. Actually Ina & Dungjen (4th place in 98) were closer to the podium than Ina-Zimmerman (5th place in 2002, I think)

judgejudy27
03-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Ina & Dungen probably would have medaled at the 98 Games if they had their 98 Nationals LP. With Elena & Anton having 2 huge errors, Woetzel & Steur injured and very subpar, and the controversy (justified or not) about their short program placing, if they duplicated their U.S Nationals performance I am pretty sure the judges would have had to give them a medal. That was the skate of their life though so it would have been hard to repeat under the Olympic pressure, and as it turns out they werent even close. With mistakes they had no chance as their unision, speed, and artistry did not stack up to the other top teams, nor their reputation. They probably would have won silver at the very weak 98 post Olympic Worlds but had to pull out with injury.

Ina & Zimmerman had no chance to medal in 2002 IMO. I enjoyed their programs that year and it was great to see them finally hit their peak as a pair. However even a very subpar Shen & Zhou in the LP easily beat them (all 9 judges had them ahead), and even a subpar and pre prime Totmianina & Marinin edged them. They just hadnt done enough that quad to build any momentum with the judges, Ina & Dungen atleast had been close to medaling at the 97 Worlds and were much more athletic than Ina & Zimmerman.

Zemgirl
03-06-2012, 08:14 AM
For the most part, especially in 1998.

Thanks - I figured he was a contender for part of his career, but there's a difference between being a contender in some years and "always expected to medal".

I'd have Browning at #1 by a mile, and I'd include Butyrskaya, Denkova/Staviski, Delobel/Schoenfelder (would they have medalled had she not gotten pregnant?), Joubert and probably Yuka Sato.

Mafke
03-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Too US centric and leaving off Kurt Browning is basically inexcusable. FAIL!

Aussie Willy
03-06-2012, 09:15 AM
As much as Joubert isn't my favourite skater (even though my cat is named after him), I would agree about putting him on the list.

I also think Bourne & Kraatz should have had an olympic medal too. Not gold but something.

spikydurian
03-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Sorry. I was thinking Gold. Omit Kwan. Add Tai and Randy.
Me 2..... Not good enough for the list? :(

Loves_Shizuka
03-06-2012, 10:16 AM
It's all kinds of wrong, but an entertaining read nonetheless.

paskatefan
03-06-2012, 11:01 AM
My list would have to include Kurt, Todd, Bourne & Kraatz, Delobel & Schoenfelder, Tai & Randy, for sure.