PDA

View Full Version : skatecast #54: interview with Leah Adams of FSO

manleywoman
03-02-2012, 04:49 AM
Leah Adams is the creator of Figure Skaters Online (http://www.figureskatersonline.com), managing over 50 websites for up and coming skaters since it started back in the 1990s. She also is a fantastic skating photographer, and has been hired over and over again by shows ranging from Champions on Ice to Skate For Hope. She talks about creating the sites, how the server crashed during the Olympics due to the crazy amounts of hits, and how she really pissed off Tom Collins.

She also has strong feelings about how some federations ignore the skating blogging community. I'm interested to know what you all think about that.

Listen at my site (http://www.manleywoman.com) or on the iTunes Store.

She's also giving away two photos: one of Ashley Wagner during her SP at Nationals, and one of Johnny Weir.

Thanks for listening!

Lanna
03-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Oooh, awesome! *goes off to listen*

shan
03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Fascinating interview!

just wondering
03-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Very spirited interview! I love how you ask one question and get a million little details. Fun. Fun.

centerpt1
03-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I really enjoyed this interview. I hope she finds some suitable talent/interns to help with the site. It was interesting to hear her take on the "jump face" "crotch shot" photos.

manleywoman
03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
^ Thanks. Yes, I'd never thought about the "jump face" shots before, actually. We see grunt face photos in lots of other sports too, but it makes me wonder if it's the same type of AP photographers who don't consider. Do skaters really get upset over those shots?

(some mid-jump shots really are nasty looking)

RD
03-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Well, a "jump" shot is a great action shot, I feel, if done right. I think if the skater's face is to the side or away from the camera (or it's more of a wide shot) it can work. However, I agree (for the most part) about the "crotch shots".

I've recently gotten into photography (as a hobby) and actually got to take pictures at a couple of shows (first stab at action photography!), so I found the section about photos particularly interesting...I knew most of her advice already from reading about it and from practice, but she is completely right about one thing I never really thought about. It IS true that it is easier to shoot novice skaters than it is to keep up with the champions, mainly because it is easier to track them around the rink, and they don't do the fancy tricks that can be tricky sometimes for me to time right. At both shows I went to, there was a mixture of skaters from all different levels, so I got to find out for myself. Luckily for me, some of the young skaters were first so that was a good "practice run"- still, once the top skaters were whizzing by, it was definitely an exercise to keep up with them, at least at first!

And, also, not all champion skaters are of equal difficulty to photograph. The ones that aren't as flashy (e.g. Caryn Kadavy, Kimmie Meissner) I found easier than, say, Ilia Kulik or Brian Boitano (FAST!!!)

(Great interview, thanks for posting!)