PDA

View Full Version : "Controversial" Image of Father Bottle-Feeding His Child Edited Out of Advertisement

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

PeterG
03-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Breastfeeding activists in New Zealand raised so much of a stink over an ad featuring a dad bottle-feeding his baby that the New Zealand government actually decided to edit the image above out of the ad. (http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/see-controversial-photo-dad-bottle-feeding-baby-does-155510760.html)

The ad is for an anti-smoking campaign in New Zealand. A rugby player and a musician appear in the ad. Due to pressure from breastfeeding activists, the image of Piri Weepu feeding his child was removed from the ad.

From the article:

While the government's decision could be viewed as a victory for La Leche League, which protested the ad, some observers have concluded that the decision is a sad day for dads. If a father is going to be involved in the feeding of his new baby, it's only going to happen through a bottle.

The New Zealand case was even more peculiar because the ad was actually part of an anti-smoking campaign. (Watch the ad below.) It had nothing to do with the breast versus bottle debate. But La Leche League still didn't approve of the bottle-feeding image it appeared to promote.

barbk
03-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Does La Leche oppose pumping & storing milk? I certainly did that, and it never made me think that I wasn't breast feeding.

danceronice
03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Does La Leche oppose pumping & storing milk? I certainly did that, and it never made me think that I wasn't breast feeding.

That's certainly the implication...

Hannahclear
03-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I really hated the LLL BF guide. It was very patronizing. Dr. Sears was worse. :blah:

Jot the Dot Dot
03-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Soory, LaLeche, but you're out of your er, league on this. If there shouldn't be any social stigma attached to a mother breast-feeding her infant, neither should there be any stigma to a father (or mother) bottle-feeding the child. Don't behave like the high-strung busybodies that made you form your organization to begin with.

IceAlisa
03-01-2012, 09:25 PM
FFS. I know pediatricians who had to admit dehydrated infants to the hospital because their LLL-brainwashed mothers didn't produce enough milk and wouldn't supplement on pain of death.

maatTheViking
03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I am strong proponent of breastfeeding, and I found the LLL guides a bit over the top - epecially trying to find information about pumping while returning to work and best introducing the bottle. I was very patronizing, I agree, something like: If you abeselutely have to pump and not feed your baby yourself, it is best that... (and some of the advice was good info, just horribly packaged). It was written as I should feel guiltly for returning to work before my baby was weaned - what bullshit.

I can understand if they protested a mom bottlefeeding, instead of breastfeeding, but a dad? Dads being part of feeding baby is awesome!

Hannahclear
03-01-2012, 11:52 PM
I am strong proponent of breastfeeding, and I found the LLL guides a bit over the top - epecially trying to find information about pumping while returning to work and best introducing the bottle.

Yeah, the whole: "You don't have to work; you just want to buy fancy shoes and take great vacations," thing was a bit much for me.

IceAlisa
03-02-2012, 12:39 AM
The argument against pumping is not entirely unsubstantiated. Milk production is on supply and demand and nothing will empty out a breast like a hungry baby. The pump usually doesn't empty out as effectively although I did hear something about hospital grade pumps that do almost as well.

Anyway, the short of it is that if you pump, you will likely make less milk and are more likely to end up supplementing. However, many women pump and don't supplement.

I also think that giving fathers an opportunity to feed the baby (pumped breast milk) is great. IME, dads are so much more involved these days. Feminism works both ways.

Also, I don't know how real this is but I found this entry on Yahoo Answers:

La Leche League wierdness. Is this normal?

I went to a La Leche League meeting with three mothers-to-be or new mothers and an LLL leader. One mother had to leave early, so it was just the three of us.

The group leader is still breastfeeding her five-year-old, and as part of the coaching, she obviously listed the advantages of breast feeding, telling us it was extremely healthy for mother and child.

Somewhere during all of this, she said it was very healthy for adults as well, and she offered to allow us to nurse from her, saying it was a very calming experience if we had never done so.

I refused, but the other mother laid in her lap and actually did nurse from her for many minutes while we finished talking.

Is this normal at all? Opinions?

Additional Details
I'm a little annoyed that some think I can make this up. I'm NOT against breastfeeding or LLL in general. Maybe I should report her for acting so inappropriate. The other woman seemed ok with it. She sure did stay latched on to that woman's breast long enough.

More from LLL:
http://www.salon.com/2006/10/12/la_leche_league/

La Leche League, that fervent international advocacy group for all things mammarian, has always talked a heavy nature-equals-nurture line. For the Leaguers, breast-feeding isn’t only the best source of sustenance for a baby physically but the quintessential maternal experience. But now the group has gone off the milky deep end, and its swimming buddies are right-wing Christians and fanatical biological essentialists. That's the natural path of their fanaticism, innit.

myhoneyhoney
03-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Hubby and I bottle fed our 3 kids, our 4th baby was exclusively breast fed past 1 year.... that said, I CAN'T STAND LE LECHE LEAGUE!!! Very sad that the clip was taken out. :(

barbk
03-02-2012, 01:39 AM
I saw a mom breastfeeding a three/four year old and a baby at the same time, so I didn't think much would surprise me -- but offering to let other adults suckle? Uh, no thanks.

Allskate
03-02-2012, 01:46 AM
I can understand if they protested a mom bottlefeeding, instead of breastfeeding, but a dad? Dads being part of feeding baby is awesome!

There are a lot of moms who work and therefore pump and bottle-feed. I don't get protesting that either. And there are all sorts of reasons moms have to stop breastfeeding. I've had friends and family whose doctors instructed them to stop for medical reasons.

maatTheViking
03-02-2012, 03:48 AM
There are a lot of moms who work and therefore pump and bottle-feed. I don't get protesting that either. And there are all sorts of reasons moms have to stop breastfeeding. I've had friends and family whose doctors instructed them to stop for medical reasons.

I understand - I was more saying that from the point of view of 'promoting breast feeding' I can understand protesting a picture of a mom bottle feeding (since without context it will be understood to be formula?) - but even within their viewpoint I don't see how they can protest a dad giving a bottle?

milanessa
03-02-2012, 04:02 AM
Maybe they would have preferred this photo.

http://www.lilsugar.com/Breastfeeding-Devices-Dads-1692110

Prancer
03-02-2012, 06:45 AM
For the Leaguers, breast-feeding isnít only the best source of sustenance for a baby physically but the quintessential maternal experience.

That was sure the impression I got from LLL--it's not really about feeding a baby at all, but about TRUE MOTHERHOOD. :blah: