PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

rjblue
04-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Moon sounds very good--I hadn't heard of it before.I hadn't heard of it before either. The director is Duncan Jones. He also directed Source Code (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/), which was another well thought out, intelligent SF film. He has two other movies planned out that are in the same time and universe as Moon, and they will be on my "must watch" list.

Here's a quote from an interview (http://sciencefictionworld.com/films/science-fiction-films/483-moon-sequel-mute-witness-a-homage-to-blade-runner.html) he gave:
"When studios make science fiction they invest a lot of money into it," he said. "They also have to make sure that the audience for their films are as big as possible and the way to do that, usually, is to dumb everything down. So the sorts of things that sci-fi fans love are not being made anymore. For example, it's difficult to imagine Blade Runner coming out now. But one of the interesting things that is currently happening is that a lot of special effects are getting cheaper - and as that happens I think you will see more independent films tapping into that and making more engaging and intelligent films. I think it is an interesting time for fantasy cinema and I hope that Mute will show that to people."

PeterG
04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
I went to see the re-release of Titanic yesterday. I had wondered if it was going to be worth my time to see in the theatre when I could get the DVD from the library for free. But it was. At one point, I thought to myself, "this movie was made for the big screen". Plus it reminded me of how Cameron incorporates some radical ideas into his movies, but because they are popcorn movies, people might not realize they are learning something. The whole capitalist/greed and environmental aspects of Avatar, and the highlighting of classism and sexism in Titanic. To see people locked below deck as the water rises simply because they are of a different class background. Mind-boggling! :eek: And it's not like classism doesn't exist still, but it is great to see such a dramatic example of it in such a mainstream film.

One scene that struck me more this time was one the two leads first lay eyes on each other. Winslet's character has escaped the soul-crushing environment of her group for a few moments and spots DiCaprio. She looks away for a bit but has to look back, being drawn to him. He has been looking at her as well and it's a very sweet, honest moment. It made me tear up. Later I knew I would bawl when "My Heart Will Go On" played during the Kate/Leo montage at the end...but that didn't happened. The song did not play during the movie, only during the end credits. Mr. Cameron, I've discovered the first mistake you've ever made! :P

Not sure if Titanic needed to be remade in 3-D, but some shots did stand out in 3-D including when the two leads met up late at night at the top of the staircase and a few close-ups of Kate Winslet's beautiful face. :) And a few other shots too, that made the grandiose-ness of the ship stand out. Plus the 3-D gave greater depth when looking from the ship to the sea to show how BIG everything was! Speaking of beautiful faces, I forgot how beautiful Bill Paxton looked in this. Very shaggable! :D

So if you're thinking of seeing Titanic in 3-D at the theatre, remember that it's a "limited engagement" as the TV ads say! :)

Saw Immortals. Don't really recommend it :shuffle:

I went to see 'A cabin in the woods' today ...... the movie was so crazy and gruesome that after about 50 minutes I had had enough. I walked out...

:( How disappointing! Although "Immortals" is not really my type of movie, I'm a major fan of the director, Tarsem Singh. Will see it on DVD eventually and lower my expectations a bit.

More disappointed about the thoughts on "A Cabin In The Woods". Can't remember the last time I've wanted to see a movie so much. I don't mind some gruesomeness, but a little goes a long way. More disheartening is that the movie is stupid, I really thought it was an intricate piece of work that took a standard horror movie premise to some place we'd never gone before. Will still go see it, but will lower expectations even more than I will for "Immortals". :wuzrobbed

mrr50
04-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Saw the Three Stooges Movie, my husband is a fan. It is okay. I think it replicates their type of humor very well. I am not a fan and was able to get through it with a smile.

Vash01
04-16-2012, 04:33 AM
I saw Titanic in 3D today. I really enjoyed it. I noticed things that I had missed earlier.

oleada
04-16-2012, 05:00 AM
I saw Titanic in 3D last week, dragged by some friends. I was skeptical to say the least :P but I had a blast. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. The story is a bit cheesy, but I forgot how much I liked it, particularly the older version of Rose.

skatesindreams
04-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Gloria Stuart was amazing!
I'm still upset that she did not win the Academy Award she so deserved.

She died in 2010 - aged 100.
For those who may have missed it, her obituary, from the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/movies/28stuart.html

James Cameron hosted the celebration of her 100th birthday, a few months before her passing.
What a life - and career.

Grannyfan
04-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Billy Budd is on TCM right now. I confess I've never read it, but I love this movie. Robert Ryan is outstanding as the evil Claggart, and Terrence Stamp is a perfect Billy.

Vash01
04-16-2012, 08:37 PM

She died in 2010 - aged 100.
For those who may have missed it, her obituary, from the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/movies/28stuart.html

James Cameron hosted the celebration of her 100th birthday, a few months before her passing.
What a life - and career.

Gloria should have won the supporting actress Oscar that year. She was amazing in Titanic.

NinjaTurtles
04-16-2012, 09:14 PM
More disappointed about the thoughts on "A Cabin In The Woods". Can't remember the last time I've wanted to see a movie so much. I don't mind some gruesomeness, but a little goes a long way. More disheartening is that the movie is stupid, I really thought it was an intricate piece of work that took a standard horror movie premise to some place we'd never gone before. Will still go see it, but will lower expectations even more than I will for "Immortals". :wuzrobbed

It's more tongue-in-cheek, fans of Josh Whedon will like it. It certianly has good reviews: it's 92% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_cabin_in_the_woods/). I actually found it to be more of a comedy than anything.

Allen
04-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I personally loved The Cabin in the Woods. I thought it was hilarious, and intentionally so, not Jason X hilarious when it was meant to be scary. The characters were actually pretty fleshed and all managed to be pretty likable. I didn't find the gore to be that over the top compared to a lot of horror films. If you're looking for a Texas Chainsaw Massacre type movie, this isn't it. I would say it's kind of in between that and Scream. I didn't go into it taking it seriously like it seemed like most of the other people in theatre did. I started laughing pretty quickly into the film and people were looking at me like I was insane.

Vash01
04-16-2012, 10:21 PM
It's more tongue-in-cheek, fans of Josh Whedon will like it. It certianly has good reviews: it's 92% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_cabin_in_the_woods/). I actually found it to be more of a comedy than anything.

I was surprised that people in the theater were laughing at times. I could not figure out for the life of me what was so funny about being killed by zombies.

PeterG
04-16-2012, 11:13 PM

Gloria should have won the supporting actress Oscar that year. She was amazing in Titanic.

I really enjoyed Stuart, but I thought Frances Fisher gave a better performance. What she did with her eyes alone was outstanding. She expressed such deep despair. If I was acting with her, I think I'd break down crying having to look into these eyes! The scene where she talks about how their lives would change for the worst if the marriage were not to happen makes the viewer start to feel for her rather than see of her as the (one-dimensional) "evil mother".

By the way, the nominees for best supporting actress at the Academy Awards that year were:

Kim Basinger – L.A. Confidential (Basinger won)
Gloria Stuart – Titanic
Julianne Moore – Boogie Nights
Joan Cusack – In & Out
Minnie Driver – Good Will Hunting

Allen
04-17-2012, 12:44 AM
:

Kim Basinger – L.A. Confidential (Basinger won)
Gloria Stuart – Titanic
Julianne Moore – Boogie Nights
Joan Cusack – In & Out
Minnie Driver – Good Will Hunting

For me, Moore deserved to take the award for Boogie Nights hands down.

immoimeme
04-17-2012, 01:07 AM
The first movie that has really impressed me is Moon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/), starring Sam Rockwell. It won the 2010 Hugo award for best SF movie, beating District 9, Star Trek and Avatar, and also won the BAFTA for best British film.

ANOTHER "hugo" that dunno what it's talkin' about. "Moon" won like my "most pointless gibbering film" award, whereas "District 9" ROCKED, plus it was FUNNY, as in :rofl:funny. Hell, so was "Star Trek"!!
"Moon" was frick-in b_o_r_i_n_g.:P

immoimeme
04-17-2012, 01:09 AM
Oh. What I MEANT to say was "Meloncholia" was one of those "uh.....what was THAT all about??" kind of movies for me. whereas "Puss in Boots" --it was real clear what it was about! :)