PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Cheylana
04-08-2012, 03:17 AM
Just watched The Lady Vanishes (1938) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjRho7gzp50) which I think I read was Alfred Hitchcock's last movie made while he was in England (before moving to the U.S.). I thought it was pretty good, it avoided a lot of the dated movie-making things seen in so many older films (the over-the-top faux-British speaking voices, etc.) Still, often during the movie I thought, "they should remake this!" :D By the way, the above link is the entire movie...found it at youtube, but not a two minute trailer. :lol:
I love this movie -- especially Dame May Whitty! :) Who would play her role if they remade this movie? Judi Dench?

Grannyfan
04-08-2012, 04:17 AM
I love this movie -- especially Dame May Whitty! :) Who would play her role if they remade this movie? Judi Dench?

I love Dame May Whitty, too. :) Night Must Fall one of my favorites of her movies. Very creepy.

PeterG
04-08-2012, 07:14 PM

I had never heard of her before. Interesting info at imdb.com. 16-year gap between film roles because she didn't much care for the medium. :lol: Guess she had to wait for the talkies to take over and become grounded. :) And in her second role after returning to the screen, she gets an Oscar nomination for Night Must Fall. It's availalble at a library a bit far from me, will pick it up when I'm out that way.

As for who should play her role, there's lots of actresses that would do it justice. I'd be more interesting in who could do it justice as director. Maybe Ang Lee? I think he's directed every genre of film except for a musical.

I just watched the clip and have to admit I am interested in seeing this take on the abortion issue. Thanks for the heads up. It's a very brave thing for some people to do. Not have an abortion. Sadly some people think it's their only way out of a difficult situation and I can understand that.

I checked and I did add this one to my list. If you see it, I hope you'll let us know what you think about it. I'm wondering if it will be a propaganda piece that will piss me off or if there is some objectivity that will give me some good food for thought.

immoimeme
04-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Yes, I really thought Hugo sucked. I even watched it 3 times to make sure. Because I was soooooooooOOOOOOOOO! disappointed that it sucked! It moved s_o_o_o_o f_r_i_c_k_i_n_g s_l_o_w. and I didn't think the special effects were so special. And the kids weren't cute. and Sacha Baron Cohen was reealllllllly annoying.

I just watched "Gigi" for the first time ever. thought it.....you know it's coming....sucked. Did not understand how it won Academy Awards for anything.

then I watched a film called "Dunia: Kiss Me Not on the Eyes"-I had NO IDEA from the blurb on the box what it was ACTUALLY about. I am still not over it.

Cachoo
04-12-2012, 01:02 AM
I just watched Morgan Spurlock's "Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope" and enjoyed it. I was amazed at the talent displayed by the fans. One of the cartoonists and a costume designer--working in her garage no less--blew me away. I would love to go to this event just to observe.

Japanfan
04-12-2012, 03:40 AM
Life Happens (2010 Documentary)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd1qRrLVn7g
imdb.com: “Life Happens deals with the topic of abortion in a unique, personal and ultimately uplifting way. Director Ash Greyson, who was nearly aborted just months before the Roe vs Wade decision, sets out on a journey to find others like him. In the process he uncovers the divisive issues, eventually finds some common ground, and seals it all up with compelling first person stories from mothers and children who narrowly escaped abortion. While pulling no punches, he skillfully replaces rhetoric and religion with hope and heart in what may be the most approachable film ever created on the topic.”

If you watch the trailer, I'd like to hear your thoughts. :)

Looks like a pro-life spin to me. Mother: "I made the decision not to abort and I was so happy when he was born". Son: "I got a chance to live". Child: "I grew up in a loving adoptive home".

Cheylana
04-12-2012, 06:10 AM
I just watched "Gigi" for the first time ever. thought it.....you know it's coming....sucked. Did not understand how it won Academy Awards for anything.
I have to admit, I didn't "get" that movie either. :slinkaway

jenny12
04-13-2012, 01:39 AM
I have to admit, I didn't "get" that movie either. :slinkaway

Yeah, I agree and it beat great films like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Auntie Mame, and The Defiant Ones.

rjblue
04-15-2012, 04:13 AM
We finally signed up for Netflix when I realised that it actually does stream quite well over our wireless internet service.

The first movie that has really impressed me is Moon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/), starring Sam Rockwell. It won the 2010 Hugo award for best SF movie, beating District 9, Star Trek and Avatar, and also won the BAFTA for best British film.

agalisgv
04-15-2012, 04:48 AM
Saw Immortals. Don't really recommend it :shuffle:

Moon sounds very good--I hadn't heard of it before.

Vash01
04-15-2012, 08:58 AM
I went to see 'A cabin in the woods' today. Note that I wrote 'went to see' and not 'saw':lol:

It so happened that I had some time before my next planned activity, and this movie just fit into my schedule, so I bought the ticket and went inside. The theater was big, with at least 200 seats. There were at the most 25 people in it- this on a Saturday afternoon. Since it was listed as horror/action, I was sort of prepared for some of that. However, the movie was so crazy and gruesome that after about 50 minutes I had had enough. I walked out and told the manager that I had walked out of a horrible movie. I got my money back, without even asking for it.

I can't remember when was the last time I walked out of a movie. Probably never. I have at times not watched an entire DVD of a movie if I found it boring. I did not know that I would get my money back for walking out of this movie. I am glad that I did. Outside it was much better- in spite of the chilly weather (unusual for Phoenix, at this time of the year), and I had a much better time window shopping.

Grannyfan
04-15-2012, 02:10 PM
The only movie I ever walked out of was that original Buford Pusser movie Walking Tall. I couldn't take the violence, and that was 40 years ago. I figure it was a pretty crummy movie anyway, but I didn't stick around long enough to find out.

Buzz
04-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Saw Cabin In The Woods too because I arrived too late to see The Thee Stooges. It was one of the most god awful movies I have seen in a while.

agalisgv
04-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Aw, I had been looking forward to seeing Cabin in the Woods. Was it awful because of the gore, or were there other reasons?

Buzz
04-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Both. The end has a lot of gore but the story is the worst. A very silly and stooopid movie. LOL. Not my cup of tea. The Hunger Games will be number one again with no problem.