PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Buzz
04-02-2012, 03:46 AM
Say it ain't so!!!! The worse possible news to come out today unfortunately is no joke. Ashton Kutcher will pay Steve Jobs in a new movie to start filming in May. This guy cannot act and in any case he is mainly a comedian!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/04/01/ashton-kutcher-to-play-steve-jobs/

Buzz
04-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Now that I think about it; David Giuntoli from Grimm would be an excellent SJ. He has the right look and s an good actor.

PeterG
04-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Headhunters looks great; I think I'll put that one on my list.

I was surprised by that one. The trailer is amazing! The imdb description doesn't make it sound like the type of movie I'd really be into, but the trailer was so well done that I couldn't help but add it to my TO SEE list. :respec:

Saw Wrath of the Titans and all I can say is save your money. Wait for it to be the movie of the week on tv.

I saw the first one with a friend, probably with his grade 6/7 class. One that was much more enjoyable when one doesn't have to pay to get in! :lol: Still, that type of movie is made for the big screen. But I ain't gonna pay full price for that experience! :lol:

The first movie I can remember seeing was Star Wars. I remember it very well because I got to wear my brand new pair of shoes. That was 1977 so I must have been 7 years old.

That's another one my Mom brought up when I talked about this subject with her. "You really wanted to see that one." Somehow I think it's more one my Dad would like more than me, but maybe it had been out for a while and I was swept up in the whole Star Wars craze. One of the rare times Mom left the house to go see a movie. But she had been a big fan of the Star Trek TV series, so maybe she had been missing that and needed some sci-fi in her life! :)

Buzz
04-02-2012, 10:11 PM
I do also remember seeing Towering Inferno but it was probably on tv. Now you made me want o run ut and find it. LOL

Artemis@BC
04-02-2012, 10:57 PM
I can't remember the first movie I saw (tho I will I'm old enough that "first movie" and "first movie on the big screen" were the same thing :shuffle:) ... but it was almost certainly something Disney. Might have been Bambi, might have been Snow White.

I can, however, remember the first "adult" movie I saw. It was Jesus Christ Superstar, and I was about 8 or 9. I remember it not just because it was my first non-kids-movie, but because of the effect it had on me. Our family wasn't particularly devout but I had nonetheless grown up with a Sunday school and an afternoon bible study class (the latter mostly because it was next door) that dealt with things in a rather simplistic way. Superstar was the first time I remember seen Judas portrayed not as a black-and-white "bad guy" but rather as a patsy and all part of the grand plan. I still remember the "aha" feeling to this day.

Wyliefan
04-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Oh crumbs, Midnight Lace is on TCM. It's really pathetic how badly that movie freaks me out. :yikes:

(Artemis, have you ever read Dorothy L. Sayers's play cycle The Man Born to Be King? Her take on Judas is fascinating, I think.)

Artemis@BC
04-05-2012, 09:26 PM
(Artemis, have you ever read Dorothy L. Sayers's play cycle The Man Born to Be King? Her take on Judas is fascinating, I think.)

Haven't seen that one. But I do remember Christopher Moore's take in Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

skatesindreams
04-05-2012, 09:37 PM
The first movie I remember seeing in a theatre was "Gigi"!
I was just more than four years old at the time.

Cheylana
04-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Do you remember the first movie you ever saw in the theatre?
AFAIR my first in-theater movie was E.T. I would have been 6-7 years old at the time.

We didn't go to the movies a lot when I was a kid, as we lived in a one-horse town with no movie theater or bookstore or anything else of interest. (Growing up, I was more horrified by the lack of bookstore, hopeless nerd that I was!)

PeterG
04-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Came across a Dark Shadows trailer finally:

Dark Shadows (May 11 – Comedy fantasy with Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, Jackie Earle Haley, Jonny Lee Miller, Eva Green and Chloe Moretz, Christopher Lee and Alice Cooper)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWvkFlyl4M&ob=av3n

I've been interested in this movie since I first heard about it, but sometimes the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp combination can be from good/interesting to :rolleyes:/pretentious. Which they seem to come close to crossing with this trailer. On one hand I think it looks to be a funny movie, but it also looks a little bit like, "hey, look how funny we are...laugh now, okay? cuz we're so funny!!" This made me wonder if that was the same attitude that Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman made Ishtar, one of the all-time biggest box office duds Guess we'll all find out in a month! What are your thoughts on this trailer?

A few other trailers just posted on imdb.com:

Total Recall (August 3rd - Action Sci-Fi with Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsdale, John Cho, Jessica Biel, Bryan Cranston and Ethan Hawke)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GljhR5rk5eY

I don't think I saw the original (was never much of a Schwarzenegger fan). But this one looks really good. Mind you, I'd probably say that about anything where I get to ogle Colin Farrell for two hours! :lol: Aside from that, the CGI in this one looks incredible.

People Like Us (June 29 – Drama with Chris Pine, Elizabeth Banks, Jon Favreau, Olivia Wilde and Michelle Pfeiffer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LomUmAONUpo

Not sure about this one. Great cast. Decent trailer. But it doesn't seem to set up the movie well enough for me to say, "I've gotta see this one". Hope the movie is better made than the trailer...

Buzz
04-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Total recall looks good and you're not alone in wanting to stare at Collin Farrell for two hours. LOL

PeterG
04-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Total recall looks good and you're not alone in wanting to stare at Collin Farrell for two hours. LOL

He makes me melt... :o

smurfy
04-06-2012, 01:27 AM
I just saw Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - absolutely delightful movie. I love Ewan McGregor and he was just charming. He and Emily Blunt were cute together. Kristin Scott Thomas, always one of my favs, was just hilarious. Amr Waked who played the Sheik and Tom Mison were great also. Nicely paced, amusing story.

PeterG
04-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Just watched The Lady Vanishes (1938) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjRho7gzp50) which I think I read was Alfred Hitchcock's last movie made while he was in England (before moving to the U.S.). I thought it was pretty good, it avoided a lot of the dated movie-making things seen in so many older films (the over-the-top faux-British speaking voices, etc.) Still, often during the movie I thought, "they should remake this!" :D By the way, the above link is the entire movie...found it at youtube, but not a two minute trailer. :lol:

For March or April, there was a movie called "Life Happens". I found another movie with the exact same title that grabbed my interest. I think I did not add it to my TO SEE list because the point of view of the movie does not jibe with my own views, but I considered searching it out to see something from a differing perspective. Anyway, here's the info:

Life Happens (2010 Documentary)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd1qRrLVn7g
imdb.com: “Life Happens deals with the topic of abortion in a unique, personal and ultimately uplifting way. Director Ash Greyson, who was nearly aborted just months before the Roe vs Wade decision, sets out on a journey to find others like him. In the process he uncovers the divisive issues, eventually finds some common ground, and seals it all up with compelling first person stories from mothers and children who narrowly escaped abortion. While pulling no punches, he skillfully replaces rhetoric and religion with hope and heart in what may be the most approachable film ever created on the topic.”

If you watch the trailer, I'd like to hear your thoughts. :)

nursebetty
04-08-2012, 02:13 AM
I just watched the clip and have to admit I am interested in seeing this take on the abortion issue. Thanks for the heads up. It's a very brave thing for some people to do. Not have an abortion. Sadly some people think it's their only way out of a difficult situation and I can understand that.