PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Buzz
03-02-2012, 02:12 AM
John Carter - that was Noah Wyle's character name on ER. (dating myself)

Now that is why That name sounds so familiar!

KikiSashaFan
03-02-2012, 02:28 AM
I posted this in the other thread by accident.

A little late, but I saw The Grey a little while ago. It was TERRIBLE. Maybe the worst movie I've ever seen. I love Liam Neeson, but it was truly awful.

Buzz
03-02-2012, 02:42 AM
The trailer for ht movie was a real turn off for me.

emason
03-02-2012, 12:14 PM

A little late, but I saw The Grey a little while ago. It was TERRIBLE. Maybe the worst movie I've ever seen. I love Liam Neeson, but it was truly awful.

Just cannot agree; I loved that movie. It's not just action-adventure; there is a lot going on under the surface. I thought it was definitely one of the better films I've seen recently. Absolutely not truly awful.

agalisgv
03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
It's not just action-adventure; there is a lot going on under the surface. What goes on beneath the surface?

Have to say, every trailer I saw looked terrible, the plot sounded terrible, and the reviews I've read all confirmed that. I'd be interested in hearing how it was more than beating off a pack of wolves.

DarrellH
03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Loved John Carter. I was not familiar with the story, so I had no preconceived notions. Good story telling. I realized the original story is very old, and you can see where other movies have borrowed ideas (including Star Wars) from this. It wasn't a home run, but a very good, enjoyable, 2 hour+ movie.

I can see this becoming a successful series of films.

KikiSashaFan
03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Just cannot agree; I loved that movie. It's not just action-adventure; there is a lot going on under the surface. I thought it was definitely one of the better films I've seen recently. Absolutely not truly awful.

Agree to disagree, but I'll elaborate. IMO all that under the surface stuff was trying way too hard to be deep and just came off as pretentious. Plus the whole concept was stupid. If you happen to survive a plane crash, don't abandon the wreck and hike off into the thick woods, rescuers are going to find the crash a hell of a lot sooner than a few people wandering the woods. Also wolves are not vicious, aggresive animals like they were made out to be, it always like watching a weird Kujo remake.

Oh and the ending was predictable and :blah: I wanted to walk out, but Mr. Kiki will not walk out of a movie, no matter how bad. Other people in the theater did though, and he admitted after we should have. :lol: Oh well, each to their own..

Vash01
03-02-2012, 05:40 PM
I am not into comedies or sci fi/adventure, so basically none of these films really interest me. After the Oscars I try to pick up on my old movies- on my Netflix list. I may see Mirror Mirror and/or Marigold hotel (J.Dench), if I really feel like going to a theater for a movie.

Nan
03-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Safe House was rather graphic I think, but it was clear when those scenes were, so I just closed my eyes. I guessed some of the plot early on, but there were still enough twists to maintain interest throughout. Overall it was better than I expected. Reminiscent of Bourne in a way, but without the main protagonist being the trained expert. Washington played his character extremely well.

My daughter and I saw this. The part I made bold in your post is what I liked best. He was more a "regular" guy, determined to do his job and learning as the movie progressed. Very violent, but I expected that. Washington was a treat to watch, as always.

emason
03-02-2012, 11:21 PM
What goes on beneath the surface?

It's about how men cope with their imminent deaths. Whether they can drop their macho posturing and bond with each other and truly be of comfort to each other, etc. It's about how they cope with their lives at the end of their lives.

rjblue
03-03-2012, 03:34 AM
I am not into comedies or sci fi/adventure, so basically none of these films really interest me.
Hee. I was just about to post that this is the first list of new releases that has gotten me excited.

I devoured the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars books- they were my YA reading.

I've just read The Hunger Games and I have tickets to see it at the Imax theatre- my first Imax movie ever.

The Avengers- geek comic superheroes unite!

And Sean Bean.

PeterG
03-03-2012, 07:26 AM
I was going to have "Bully" in the poll as it looks to be a very important movie, but my brain got jumbled and I forgot to include it. I probably would have put it in the poll in place of the Titanic re-release.

March 30th – Bully (Documentary by Lee Hirsch) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5114WHxofzU

Bully documentary to get an R rating for "six expletives" (http://news.yahoo.com/weinstein-protests-r-rating-bully-documentary-220949166.html)

"Bully," directed by Lee Hirsch, is an examination of school bullying that follows five kids and families over the course of a school year.

It received the rating, which restricts kids under the age of 17 from seeing it without an accompanying adult, because of six expletives. Weinstein claims such a rating restricts the very audience the film can most benefit: high school teens.

That leaves the makers of "Bully" with the question of whether to edit or bleep the expletives, which are part of the antagonistic behavior documented between kids in the film. Right now, Hirsch is declining to do that, and has the backing of Weinstein. The director says such editing would minimize the harsh realities of bullying.

"To cut around it or bleep it out, it really absolutely does lessen the impact and takes away from what the honest moment was, and what a terrifying feeling it can be (to be bullied)," says Hirsch. "I feel a responsibility as a filmmaker, as the person entrusted to tell (these kids') stories, to not water them down."

There was a documentary made about the ratings board (the MPAA) in 2006 called This Film Is Not Yet Rated (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTL3XMDwY0c). I definitely recommend it. It sounds like how the MPAA are dealing with this new documentary shows that they have their heads up their butts. It makes me wonder if this ratings board is like the ISU board, an incestuous bunch of twits with little or no accountability. :mad:

I find this article somewhat objectionable in that Harvey Weinstein is being attacked for defending his movie which sounds to me like a movie that will serve a purpose in changing society for the better. The writer could have stuck to the issue: whether the rating giving to this movie is fair and appropriate or not. To go after Weinstein for being difficult should be a separate topic. Weinstein's attitude should have nothing to do with how a movie gets its rating...

leesaleesa
03-03-2012, 05:43 PM

Have to agree, other than the cinematography. The wolves looked like something yanked off the Carousel of Progress, and it was like watching The Road all over again. Depressing. The woman in the bed with cheek implants and just pencilled in eyebrows bugged, too.

Buzz
03-03-2012, 06:45 PM
The Avengers- geek comic superheroes unite!

And Sean Bean.

WORD!

Allskate
03-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Hugo came out on video this week, so I rented it. I thought it was wonderful. I highly recommend it.