PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]

skatesindreams
05-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Start with the proposed My Fair Lady remake, would you please?

Amen!
Even though I always wished that Julie Andrews' glorious performance as Eliza had been "preserved" on film, the movie is still a "classic".
The idea of re-making it "offends" me.

Artemis@BC
05-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Amen!
Even though I always wished that Julie Andrews' glorious performance as Eliza had been "preserved" on film, the movie is still a "classic".
The idea of re-making it "offends" me.

ITA. The only remake I would accept would be if they went back in time and cast Julie Andrews. :D (Though to be fair, Hepburn was better than a lot of critics gave her credit for. And if Andrews had been cast in MFL, she might not have been for Mary Poppins.)

Artemis@BC
05-28-2012, 05:38 PM
So for something completely different ... I saw a real gem of a sleeper movie last night: Perfect Sense (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1439572/). To be perfectly honest, the only reason I picked this one up was because it stars Ewan McGreggor, and I'll watch him in anything. And on that level I was not disappointed -- he deliverered his usual quality performance, with a little bonus full-frontal nutity too! :swoon: (Yes, I did hit the rewind & pause buttons. So sue me.)

But there is so much more to the film than just Ewan. I don't want to say too much to give it away, but suffice it to say it's about as far removed from a Hollywood disaster/epidemic movie as you can possibly get. (Reminded me a lot in tone of Last Night, the Canadian end-of-the-world film from 1998). It's about personal connections and everyday human exisistance, and filled with some stunning imagery and metaphors -- without being over-intellectual or "artsy," IYKWIM.

Anyway, I loved it, and highly recommend it.

PeterG
05-28-2012, 06:59 PM
New thread and poll:

Let's Talk Movies v. 19 (poll includes new movies coming out in June, July and August) (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83772)

Please let this thread fall by the wayside and post in the new thread. :)

Japanfan
05-29-2012, 05:30 AM
10/10 The Whistleblower (Rachel Weisz, Vanessa Redgrave and David Strathairn) – This is one of those rare movies that is as good as it is important. It’s another one that I thought that I’d watch 30 minutes or so and continue with later. But once I started watching, I had to watch the whole thing. If this is has been on your “To Maybe See” list, I’d recommend fast-tracking it. In fact, I’m wondering if Rachel Weisz should have received a Best Actress Oscar nomination (Natalie Portman won with Annette Bening, Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lawrence and Michelle Williams being the other nominees).

I thought Weisz was excellent in the film, but the film was kind of forgotten and didn't receive a lot of press.

It sure was an intense and painful movie to watch. A few of the scenes were entirely unbearable.

But nonetheless, an important film that should have received much more attention because it is based on a true and very disturbing story. Several millions girls/young women and children are trafficked as sex slaves every year and for the most part, no one knows and no one really cares. When someone does, as did Weisz's character in the film, it's impossible for them to do something about it.