PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19

PeterG
05-24-2012, 11:14 PM
I haven't read anything that backs up what I said, it's just my take on things. I do recall Katherine Heigl say that his world is a boy's club. People sh** all over her for saying that, but when you look at a list of his films, it's pretty clear that he is much more comfortable working about men's experiences than women's. He was one of the seven people who got a producing credit for Bridesmaids, though! :D

As for Cuscak, my guess would be that Apatow would love to have him join his family. I don't see Cusack as having a big ego at all. :respec:

Artemis@BC
05-25-2012, 04:32 PM
So last night I went to see ... Yellow Submarine. Really! And not at an art-house theatre either -- Cineplex (the main movie theatre chain in Canada) has been doing a series of classic movies, and that was this month's offering. I'm happy to report that the digitally remastered edition looks absolutely spectacular. And there were several bits that I didn't remember at all -- like all the puns, and the scene with the bagpipes. :lol:

My only disappointment was that more people didn't sing along with "All Together Now" at the end. Maybe if I'd gone to the downtown screening instead of a suburban theatre. Oh well, my friend and I made up for everyone else's lack of participation.

PeterG
05-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Some more movie recommendations as well as one you might catch on that I feel you should skip. ;)

10/10 When We Leave – Ohmigosh, this is an amazing movie. Haunting! One that will stay with me for a while. It’s about a woman who leaves her husband in Turkey and returns home to her family in Germany. But trouble seems to await her at every turn because of cultural beliefs. A definite must-see. Here’s the trailer at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNxLo-CdjSQ

10/10 The Whistleblower (Rachel Weisz, Vanessa Redgrave and David Strathairn) – This is one of those rare movies that is as good as it is important. It’s another one that I thought that I’d watch 30 minutes or so and continue with later. But once I started watching, I had to watch the whole thing. If this is has been on your “To Maybe See” list, I’d recommend fast-tracking it. In fact, I’m wondering if Rachel Weisz should have received a Best Actress Oscar nomination (Natalie Portman won with Annette Bening, Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lawrence and Michelle Williams being the other nominees). Tough competition that year to be sure.

10/10 Two Soldiers – Academy Award winner from 2004 for best short film. I lucked out twice, first by my library getting this DVD and then when I decided to put a hold on an item that I knew nothing about it. It’s a wonderful film based on a William Faulkner story about a 19 year old and his 9 year old brother when the older brother decides to join the army during World War II. The performance of the younger brother is incredible and it just might make you melt! Two Soldiers also stars Ron Perlman [Hellboy, Beauty and the Beast] and while there’s no youtube trailer, here’s an imdb.com link if you’d like more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304858/

8/10 Attack the Block – Originally this movie didn’t attract my interest, but I kept hearing good things about it. And since I often watch a lot of heavy dramas, I decided to give this one a go to provide some variety in my viewing. Glad I did, it was a lot of silly fun. And as much as I liked the movie, the special features were maybe even better. Especially the “behind the scenes” segment which is just over an hour long. I can’t remember the last time I saw something that showed how much of a joy teenagers are. It’s one of those things that when it’s over, you feel a bit of sadness that you don’t get to spend more time with these people. If you like alien attack/creature feature movies in any way, shape or form, I completely recommend this one.

-53/10 Don’t Be Afraid Of The Dark – It’s not that this is a completely horrendous movie (horrendous, nor horror, although horror is the correct genre). It’s just that I can barely stand movies or TV shows about stupid people doing stupid things. What’s worse than that? Those people having children in their lives. And worse than that? Stupid people doing stupid things with children in their lives…whose lives are in jeopardy. And worse than that? Same scenario with the stupid adults not believing the child when the child says, “my life is in jeopardy”. AAAARRGGHHH!!!! I do have to say that the young actress who plays said child (Bailee Madison) is cinema’s most valuable young treasure since Dakota Fanning. She was in Brothers with Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman and Tobey Maguire and if anyone were to have saved “Just Go With It” from being a complete disaster...it would have been Bailee (rather than Adam Sander, Jennifer Anniston or Nicole Kidman.) "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" is well made in pretty much every way, but it’s just that the production is saddled with the most horrifically STOOPID script. I lost count of the times various adults did idiotic things which could have caused this young girl her life. And I can't remember the last time I saw a movie with SO MANY plot holes. AVOID THIS MOVIE LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Wyliefan
05-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Bailee Madison was also the one who portrayed young Snow White so brilliantly in Once Upon a Time. That girl is GOOD.

Buzz
05-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Chernobyl Diaries = Very poor man's Hills Have Eyes. Wait for the TBS showing.

Cachoo
05-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Some more movie recommendations as well as one you might catch on that I feel you should skip. ;)

10/10 When We Leave – Ohmigosh, this is an amazing movie. Haunting! One that will stay with me for a while. It’s about a woman who leaves her husband in Turkey and returns home to her family in Germany. But trouble seems to await her at every turn because of cultural beliefs. A definite must-see. Here’s the trailer at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNxLo-CdjSQ

10/10 The Whistleblower (Rachel Weisz, Vanessa Redgrave and David Strathairn) – This is one of those rare movies that is as good as it is important. It’s another one that I thought that I’d watch 30 minutes or so and continue with later. But once I started watching, I had to watch the whole thing. If this is has been on your “To Maybe See” list, I’d recommend fast-tracking it. In fact, I’m wondering if Rachel Weisz should have received a Best Actress Oscar nomination (Natalie Portman won with Annette Bening, Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lawrence and Michelle Williams being the other nominees). Tough competition that year to be sure.

10/10 Two Soldiers – Academy Award winner from 2004 for best short film. I lucked out twice, first by my library getting this DVD and then when I decided to put a hold on an item that I knew nothing about it. It’s a wonderful film based on a William Faulkner story about a 19 year old and his 9 year old brother when the older brother decides to join the army during World War II. The performance of the younger brother is incredible and it just might make you melt! Two Soldiers also stars Ron Perlman [Hellboy, Beauty and the Beast] and while there’s no youtube trailer, here’s an imdb.com link if you’d like more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304858/

8/10 Attack the Block – Originally this movie didn’t attract my interest, but I kept hearing good things about it. And since I often watch a lot of heavy dramas, I decided to give this one a go to provide some variety in my viewing. Glad I did, it was a lot of silly fun. And as much as I liked the movie, the special features were maybe even better. Especially the “behind the scenes” segment which is just over an hour long. I can’t remember the last time I saw something that showed how much of a joy teenagers are. It’s one of those things that when it’s over, you feel a bit of sadness that you don’t get to spend more time with these people. If you like alien attack/creature feature movies in any way, shape or form, I completely recommend this one.
[

I always had the impression that if the aliens had occupied other areas of the city but left them alone they would be "meh" about going after the aliens. But since it occurred on their turf they went all out. And it was funny and fresh. I especially liked the two young boys who were not yet part of the gang but just as determined.

PeterG
05-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Bailee Madison was also the one who portrayed young Snow White so brilliantly in Once Upon a Time. That girl is GOOD.

I saw on imdb.com that she was in this show. I only watched a few episodes in the beginning, so I missed her on this. Just checked youtube and it looks like all her scenes are there!! :respec:

Chernobyl Diaries = Very poor man's Hills Have Eyes. Wait for the TBS showing.

I have been thinking about this movie. What do people think about using Chernobyl as a horror movie premise? How would you feel if a movie was made about 9/11 and how it occurred because of a mutant disease that turned people into zombies whose goal was to collapse as many landmark buildings as they possibly could?

I always had the impression that if the aliens had occupied other areas of the city but left them alone they would be "meh" about going after the aliens. But since it occurred on their turf they went all out. And it was funny and fresh. I especially liked the two young boys who were not yet part of the gang but just as determined.

Yes, the wannabe gangstas! :lol: They did get to save one of the older guys at the end, though! :)

immoimeme
05-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I liked the trailer for "Gatsby"-I don't have headphones with me so the music will just have to be a complete surprise. I think Baz Luhrmann got the look right, but no matter how great an actor I think dicaprio is, IMO no one made a better Gatsby than Robert Redford. add to that, don't think I've yet forgiven Baz Luhrmann for making that gawdarful "Australia" :P

So I am at the library to get holiday wkend replacements for "Bridesmaids"--was that supposed to be a comedy? moi missed the memo --and wished like hell she had missed the movie too :yikes: --and....and....and..you know, whatever else it was I checked out it....okay wait, the train just came back to the station and luckily I was there lol--"Water For Elephants" which was....okay. I just couldn't like it any more than I did because I had a bad reaction to the violence, overt and covert, done to the animals.

I might get that "snow Flower" Peter recommended. I saw a trailer for it and Peter's description made it sound like something I would want to see this wkend. I want an interesting yet calm wkend. I don't supposed contemplating painting part of the kitchen grape-purple falls into that categorey, thus I need more films to help me banish that thought !!!:D

Oh and I want to recommend "12" it's a Russian-language film-it seems to be THE Russian language film here at the library-so I checked it out (yet aGAIN) because Russian is such a beautiful language (to me, maybe to thee?) AND this film is sort of a remake of "12 angry Men" but it's WAAAAY hella better in every way you can think of :)

Japanfan
05-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I think Baz Luhrmann got the look right, but no matter how great an actor I think dicaprio is, IMO no one made a better Gatsby than Robert Redford.

ITA. Redford was perfect in that role - so very very handsome and classy. I don't think Di Caprio can even come close.

Japanfan
05-26-2012, 09:53 PM
I have been thinking about this movie. What do people think about using Chernobyl as a horror movie premise? How would you feel if a movie was made about 9/11 and how it occurred because of a mutant disease that turned people into zombies whose goal was to collapse as many landmark buildings as they possibly could?

We've already got The Walking Dead, which serves quite well as a metaphor for situations that could potentially destroy humankind, such as Chernobyl.

Vash01
05-27-2012, 03:57 AM
Oh and I want to recommend "12" it's a Russian-language film-it seems to be THE Russian language film here at the library-so I checked it out (yet aGAIN) because Russian is such a beautiful language (to me, maybe to thee?) AND this film is sort of a remake of "12 angry Men" but it's WAAAAY hella better in every way you can think of :)

Talking of Russian films- 'The Thief' is a wonderful movie. The little boy is adorable.

Cachoo
05-27-2012, 03:56 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned but "Hemingway & Gellhorn" debuts on HBO Monday night (May 28.) I'm looking forward to see what Clive Owen and Nicole Kidman bring to their roles. This might belong in another thread.

skatesindreams
05-27-2012, 05:32 PM
ITA. Redford was perfect in that role - so very very handsome and classy. I don't think Di Caprio can even come close.

I also thought that Redford made an ideal "Gatsby".
That version was undeservedly "panned".

PeterG
05-27-2012, 10:18 PM

I loved 12 Angry Men, so I checked and our library has this movie you've recommended. Hold placed! :)

My only disappointment was that more people didn't sing along with "All Together Now" at the end. Maybe if I'd gone to the downtown screening instead of a suburban theatre. Oh well, my friend and I made up for everyone else's lack of participation.

:respec:

G.I. Joe Retaliation has been delayed 9 months. (http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Paramount-Pushes-G.I.-Joe-Retaliation-into-2013-for-3D-Retrofitting/10755)

Wow, one bad review from PeterG and the bomb is shelved!! :lol:

Wyliefan
05-27-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned but "Hemingway & Gellhorn" debuts on HBO Monday night (May 28.) I'm looking forward to see what Clive Owen and Nicole Kidman bring to their roles. This might belong in another thread.

I'd like to see that too. Will have to wait for the DVD, though.

Wow, one bad review from PeterG and the bomb is shelved!! :lol:

Cool! I've got a whole list of upcoming films that I'd love for you to use your newly discovered superpower on. :D Start with the proposed My Fair Lady remake, would you please?