PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Buzz
05-20-2012, 01:34 AM
The Avengers finished in the number one spot again for a 3rd week. Battleship was 2nd with Dictator in 3rd spot. What To Expect When You're Expecting was fourth. I saw it this week and it is better than that result suggest.

PeterG
05-20-2012, 03:09 AM
My friend invited me to see The Avengers this weekend. But I didn't hear back from him. Just as well, I've got a cold and just wanna lie on the couch all day. But half my family have seen this movie, and everyone has raved about it. So I think it will be a hit.

Buzz
05-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Hope you feel better soon PeterG and get to see the movie. LOL

Buzz
05-21-2012, 05:23 AM
The Avengers is estimated to make about $55m over the weekend to finish at number one a 3rd straight weekend. Battleship opened at about $25m with The Dictator coming on at $17m.

Cachoo
05-21-2012, 06:00 AM
I'm waiting for the "other" Snow White though I am not a big Kristen Stewart fan but I'm trying to keep an open mind that she will have better material to work with in this film. And of course Ridley Scott has always had strong female characters; plus his films are damned entertaining so "Prometheus" is on my list. Charlize is certainly having fun this summer. I want to catch the film she did with Patton Oswalt on Netflix.

agalisgv
05-21-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm waiting for Battleship to hit the dollar theater. If it keeps low returns like this, I won't have to wait long :D.

CANNOT wait for Prometheus! Course, I heart sci-fi :rollin:. But it does look good from the previews. But then, I thought Battleship looked pretty good too :shuffle:

Japanfan
05-21-2012, 07:55 AM
A movie that could not possibly be any more different than The Avengers :D ... I saw a preview of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel last night. What a delight! It’s about a group of British retirees who, for various reasons, decide their money will go further and give them a beter lifestyle if they relocate to India. They pick the “newly renovated” Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (for Elderly and Beautiful People) as their new residence … but when they get there things are not quite as luxurious as they’d been led to believe. Hilarity ensues, etc. etc.

The main reason for the film is its dream cast of veteran British actors: Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy, Celia Imrie, Ronald Pickup, and Penelope Wilton. I was also interested in it because I stayed in some less than “best exotic” hotels in India, including in Jaipur where the film is set. But there are also some nice moments and ideas about being in the golden years and savouring the gifts you have. Yes, it’s largely predictable, and yes, there are cultural stereotypes, and yes the English characters are more developed than (most of) the Indian ones. But it’s still highly entertaining. Nothing revolutionary, nothing terribly thought-provoking, just good fun.

We couldn't get into 'Hunger Games' or 'The Avengers', so we we chose this and I agree that it was delightful. It didn't hit all the right notes and some of the notes were downright off, but when it hit the notes it was near perfect. I haven't laughed until I cried for a long time and the movie also had some very touching and beautiful moments that nearly had me in tears. The romantic sub-plot between the Indians was overly sentimental for me and took away from the main story lines, but I can forgive that.

It was really nice to see a film about elderly people and did find it though-provoking in terms of nuggets of wisdom. I particularly liked "success is measured by your capacity to cope with disappointment" and there was a twisted logic to "it will be alright in the end, so if it's not alright, it's not the end" that made me :)

Judi Dench and Maggie Smith are the grand dames of the cinema and they just keep better as they get older. And Bill Nighy - can't get enough me of him. His burnt-out rock start character in "Love Actually"
is one of my favourite characters ever.

mrr50
05-21-2012, 12:05 PM
I saw Dark Shadows. I thought it was enjoyable. I watched the original series. It has a lot of humor, but still keeps a lot of the original feeling.

olympic
05-21-2012, 12:41 PM
I watched 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' w/ Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig which was made in 2011. But, I noted on Netflix that all movies in the series were also made in 2009 w/ Noomi Rapace. Were those originals in Swedish, and they're doing remakes in English for a wider audience or something? I just thought it was weird that remakes are being done with so little time in between them .... It confused me a little...

DarrellH
05-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Went to see Dark Shadows this past week. It was pretty good. Very funny.

Saw the previews for Snow White and The Huntsman. The main problem I have with it is the part about Snow White (Stewart) being "the fairest in the land". Not a put down, she is somewhat attractive, but Theron blows her out of the water, based on appearances.

immoimeme
05-21-2012, 06:58 PM
I just checked imdb.com and came up with this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2347497/):

I'm guessing this is not the one you are referring to? :lol:Noooo, but I think I like to see the one you came up with :rofl:

Here's "my" Silent Light

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Light

immoimeme
05-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Put "The Golden Door" on What To Watch When You Don't Have Anything In Mind yr list. It's v moving story to (mostly) Italian immigrants voyage to America.

PeterG
05-21-2012, 07:24 PM
I watched 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' w/ Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig which was made in 2011. But, I noted on Netflix that all movies in the series were also made in 2009 w/ Noomi Rapace. Were those originals in Swedish, and they're doing remakes in English for a wider audience or something? I just thought it was weird that remakes are being done with so little time in between them .... It confused me a little...

There were three films made in Swedish before the English version was made. If I remember correctly from the DVD extras of those original movies, they made all three back-to-back, so they were released in quick succession (unlike other sequels that have many years between each release).

Noooo, but I think I like to see the one you came up with :rofl:

Here's "my" Silent Light

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Light

I mis-read your original post as Silent Night. Here's the trailer for Silent Light (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etIzLiJfhqA)

Hope you feel better soon PeterG and get to see the movie. LOL

My friends decided to go today, but I'm going to stay home and rest. I'm okay with catching The Avengers later on DVD. :)

Sofia Alexandra
05-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Hopefully going to see The Avengers this weekend! :cheer2:

PeterG
05-22-2012, 01:08 AM
I am well into my summer movie festival and watched five movies these last few days as I struggled through a cold. I am now at the point that my head doesn't go all heavy to one side as a lie on the couch. Yay!! :)

10/10 Buck – I loved this movie! This is one of those movies that is reviewed well everywhere you see, and you add it to your To See list…and when you finally do see it, you think, “Damn, I should have watched this sooner!” Buck Brannaman is one of the most amazing people I think I’ve ever encountered. Not only is he wondrous in his profession, but he is an incredible human being. Even if you’re not an animal lover and/or not into the old west kind of life, I can't see how you won't be able to love this movie. :respec:

9/10 Snow Flower and the Secret Fan – A very subdued movie, rare to see something so cal and relaxed. A very enjoyable view with a story unlike one you’ve seen before. Well directed and acted with an ending that is very satisfying. Plus Hugh Jackman was a small part. (I mean role...)

8/10 The Company Men (Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones, Mario Bello, Chris Cooper, Craig T. Nelson and Kevin Costner) – I recently borrowed 10 DVD’s from the library and decided to place the ones that least interested me at the top and those I really wanted to see at the bottom. I thought I’d watch 20 minutes and then a few days later watch another 20 minutes and eventually make my way through the whole movie. This movie was at the top of the pile.

But I watched this one all in one sitting. It’s a very well written movie, the only exception was that Affleck’s character did a few things that were somewhat caricature-like for someone in his predicament. And the pacing was great in that you see a chapter in each person’s story and the chapters of various characters keep rotating, so we don’t get bored with any one story. It certainly helps that an incredible cast has been brought together. I’m sure Maria Bello took the role solely to work amongst so many greats (her role was fairly small and there wasn’t much for her to do).

6/10 My Soul To Take – This one was not what I expected…in a few different ways. The opening was quite strong...I originally thought I had a teen slasher kind of movie (for variety's sake). Then after the interesting beginning, the next part was pretty much just slasher stuff, so my rising expectations plummeted. But then the conclusion was much more complex than the slasher section made me think, so I wasn’t paying attention as much as I should...and suddenly a lot more story happened and I got left behind a little bit. So if you plan on seeing this one, pay attention in the beginning and for the second half so that you don’t get left behind! :D Not the greatest of horror/thriller movies, but an okay way to spend the evening.

6/10 Moby Dick – A two-part mini-series that like me, you’ve probably never heard of. But it stars William Hurt, Ethan Hawke, Charlie Cox [Boardwalk Empire] and in two quite small roles, Gillian Anderson and Donald Sutherland. It also stars Billy Boyd who played Pippin in the three Lord of the Rings movies…and in this series he has about three lines in part one. Interesting how the last three actors I mentioned took such small roles. I guess they wanted to have a piece of classic literature (on film) attached to their names? I must say that Gillian Anderson was brilliant for the short amount of time she has on screen. She was also incredible in the Bleak House series. If you haven’t seen that, I highly recommend it.

Okay, back to Moby Dick. It gets 5/10 for part one, but only 1/10 for part two. The second half was like the Lord of the Rings movies (travel, fight, travel, fight….repeat ad nauseum). In Moby Dick, they sail and bicker, sail and bicker. Which is unfortunate, because the first part is so much better. It sets up the story well, the performances are good (William Hurt approaches the line of going over the top but teeters there instead of falling over) and the shots of the ship and the sea are a beauty to behold. I found the ending somewhat disappointing as well. Never did read the novel, so I’m not sure how much this adapation differs from the novel (Wikipedia says it is a “reimagining”). Worth a viewing, but with lowered expectations.

If this version of Moby Dick seems too high-brow, I just discovered the trailer for: 2010: Moby Dick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXSHCzCuKzg), which includes the lines: “I’d strike the sun if it insulted me!!!” as well as “50 metres!!!” The trailer also informs us that this film stars Golden Globe winner Barry Bostwick, so it comes with quite the pedigree. :P