PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19

PeterG
05-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Saw two movies this weekend: Moneyball and The Ides of March. Had no idea I had planned a Paul Giamatti double-bill! :lol:

I had no idea I would like Moneyball so much. It barely made it on to my To See list. I wouldn't say that I'm a sports movie kind of guy, but I've realized that I've seen about five sports movies over the last few years and have enjoyed all of them. (Well, except for We Are Marshall, which wasn't bad, but I didn't love...) Maybe it's because sports movies aren't really about sports but the men involved in that sport and what their lives are like.

As for Moneyball, Jonah Hill was a wondrous surprise. He had some great moments. I hope he's able to find projects and directors who will continue to bring out more of him, it will be our good luck! And I either didn't know or had forgotten that Moneyball was an Aaron Sorkin project. I was never really into any of Sorkin's TV shows, so maybe that's why I wasn't dying to see this. But apparently I love Sorkin's movie because The Social Network was amazing.

The Ides of March was also amazing. Just a little slow in the beginning, but it certainly picked up speed and really took off. Everybody in it was great and every aspect of the movie was top-notch. And it didn't hurt to get to ogle Gosling and Clooney for an hour and a half. :)

I'm wondering if she meant ... "Joyeux Noel" (Christmas on WW1 battlefield)?

I loooooved that movie! :respec:

Artemis@BC
05-14-2012, 06:01 PM
I had no idea I would like Moneyball so much. It barely made it on to my To See list. ... Jonah Hill was a wondrous surprise. He had some great moments. I hope he's able to find projects and directors who will continue to bring out more of him, it will be our good luck! And I either didn't know or had forgotten that Moneyball was an Aaron Sorkin project. I was never really into any of Sorkin's TV shows, so maybe that's why I wasn't dying to see this. But apparently I love Sorkin's movie because The Social Network was amazing.

I enjoyed Moneyball far more than I thought I would too. I agree, Hill really made the film. And I normally am a big Sorkin fan, but I found this script somewhat toned down in his usual style. Anyway, count me as another fan of sports-movies-that-aren't-really-about-sports.

My own viewing this weekend included Contagion. And this morning I woke up with a cold. Coincidence? I think not!

Cachoo
05-14-2012, 06:08 PM
What I loved about "Moneyball" is that it is a true story. And interesting: It never occurred to me that Bill James (in his night job as a security guard) had this idea that baseball's general managers had it all wrong when it came to finding players (wins.) Or that Billy Beane would apply Jame's abstract to the A's and that it would work. And good for Jonah too.

I will forever love Mark Wahlberg (and Alec Baldwin) for his role in "The Departed." He was like a brawler in a suit. His exchange with Baldwin still makes me laugh and I don't know how many times I've seen it.

mrr50
05-15-2012, 12:05 AM
The Departed is a big part of why I don't watch DeCaprio movies anymore.

The Aviator is another of his excellent movies that I found disturbing on so many levels. You need to see it once, but I doubt I could watch it again.

PeterG
05-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Just finished watching "The Help". Ohmigosh, I love Emma Stone. She did such a great job carrying a drama. I’ve been impressed with her comedic work…this movie shows she could very well have a very long career ahead of her. And I loved everyone else in the cast of course, it's a wonder the ladies didn't sweep the Best Supporting Actress field at the Oscars. Chastain and Spencer got the nominations, but Bryce Dallas Howard and Viola Davis also deserved nods. I mention Davis because Emma Stone was the lead and Davis’ role was about the same size as Spencer’s. Not sure what the thinking was there, guess Davis’ performance was received better than Stone’s, so they put Davis forward for the lead. Kind of like in Brokeback Mountain where the two leads were put into different categories even though their roles were the same size. And as for the actresses, I haven’t even mentioned Cicely Tyson, Sissy Spacek and Mary Steenburgen. Really, Hollywood? Is this all you’ve got for such top-notch actresses???

I also don’t know why the song “Living Proof” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwI4zsNteU8) (performed by Mary J. Blige) was not nominated for best song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Original_Song#2010s). It’s not like the category was too full, there were only two songs nominated (usually there is four). I haven’t seen the Muppet Movie yet, but there is no way that "Man Or Muppet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTjksM3YAs&ob=av2n) is a better song than “Living Proof”. :soapbox:

The Departed is a big part of why I don't watch DeCaprio movies anymore.

Why? I thought it was a good movie, as I do all of DiCaprio's movies (The Beach is his most underrated movie, I'd say).

My own viewing this weekend included Contagion. And this morning I woke up with a cold. Coincidence? I think not!

I've been fighting one off a bug for a day or two myself. I have a hold on Contagion at the library, maybe I will keep it on my suspended list for a while longer! :lol:

mrr50
05-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I'd like to mention The Shooting Party as a movie worth viewing.

Buzz
05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
PeterG:
It is not that the movie was bad but the ending was so jarring and yet so common place for a DeCaprio movie. In that of course he dies in the end. I am just tired of feeling sorry for him at the end of his movies.

Grannyfan
05-15-2012, 03:00 PM
I'd like to mention The Shooting Party as a movie worth viewing.

I know I've seen this, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it. I'll have to look it up and refresh my memory.

Artemis@BC
05-15-2012, 04:54 PM
I find DiCaprio almost always excellent and worth watching, even if the movie is not. J. Edgar is a recent case in point -- DiCaprio (and the rest of the cast) was great, but the film lacked a centre and left me, frankly, bored.

Mind you, I had virtually the same criticism for Iron Lady: Streep was superb, the rest of the cast also excellent ... but the script & directing did not do them justice.

PeterG
05-15-2012, 06:19 PM
I am just tired of feeling sorry for him at the end of his movies.

Just think about the paycheques he takes home for each movie. Then you will no longer feel sorry for Leo. But maybe yourself...! :D

galaxygirl
05-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Spoilering just in case...

PeterG:
It is not that the movie was bad but the ending was so jarring and yet so common place for a DeCaprio movie. In that of course he dies in the end. I am just tired of feeling sorry for him at the end of his movies.

I know... I loved the movie but I was not expecting that at all.

Grannyfan
05-16-2012, 02:05 AM
I find DiCaprio almost always excellent and worth watching, even if the movie is not. J. Edgar is a recent case in point -- DiCaprio (and the rest of the cast) was great, but the film lacked a centre and left me, frankly, bored.

Mind you, I had virtually the same criticism for Iron Lady: Streep was superb, the rest of the cast also excellent ... but the script & directing did not do them justice.

I felt the same way about both those movies. I felt that J. Edgar failed at conveying how much power he had and how unscrupulous he was in wielding it. As for Iron Lady, the constant moving from the present to the past and back was confusing to me. And as you said, it was pretty boring.

IceAlisa
05-16-2012, 04:24 AM
Pretty good glimpse of what's in the works: http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/spotted-on-set-slideshow/scarlett-johansson-spotted-on-set-2012-janet-leigh-photo-1337102882.html

PeterG
05-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Movie review quiz time! So which is the better movie?

30 Minute Or Less (Jesse Eisenberg, Danny McBride, Aziz Ansari [Parks and Recreation], Michael Peña and Fred Ward) or...

My Life In Ruins (Nia Vardalos, Richard Dreyfuss and Rachel Dratch [SNL])?

Neither broke box office records, the former made 41 million worldwide (and a 6.2 rating at imbd.com) and the latter, 20 million worldwide (with a 5.7 imdb rating).

My pick? My Life In Ruins. My recollection was that it got scathing reviews from the critics. When I saw this one on the shelf at the library, I grabbed it mainly because I had too many dramas, not because I was expecting a comedy classic. So because of that, my expectations were quite low. And as I was watching it, I thought, "why didn't they like this??" It's certainly not ground-breaking cinema, but it's a very sweet romantic comedy and a very nice way to spend an hour and a half. And a big plus is the visuals of not only Greece (actually, someone at imdb said it was filmed mainly in Spain), but also Alexis Georgoulis (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cp=14&gs_id=4&xhr=t&q=xis+Georgoulis&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1536&bih=764&wrapid=tljp133714650958400&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=kjyzT-aiKsrO2AW557XpCA#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=alexis+Georgoulis&oq=alexis+Georgoulis&aq=f&aqi=g6g-S4&aql=&gs_l=img.12..0l6j0i24l4.2553.3745.0.5346.3.3.0.0.0 .0.128.361.0j3.3.0...0.0.ERhuiv_sjEs&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1e2dc9819df21038&biw=1536&bih=764). :swoon: :grope: :D And at the end of the movie, I was reminded of this great song: Ayiesha Wood's "Happy" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV70fqQt2Ec).

30 Minutes or Less had some good moments. But with such a great cast, I'm not sure why there weren't more laughs. Even the special features did not include a Bloopers reel, but an "Outtakes" reel instead. This reel has some amazing improv, specifically from Aziz, but the shortage of bloopers made me think that things weren't as funny on the set as one migt have expected.

P.S. One of the funniest outtakes scene I ever saw was for Rat Race (2001) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHrARnPfOs). Certainly not a masterpiece of a film, but I remember them playing this clip at the end of the movie and I can't remember laughing so hard. The first minute of this clip is an introduction and things don't get funny until about another minute after that, but this whole take ranks up their with some of the stuff they did on the Carol Burnett show when the actors just couldn't keep it together. So glad I just found this on youtube! :lol:

Buzz
05-17-2012, 09:15 PM
I am thinking of seeing Battleship but the reviews are soooo bad! I did not expect a movie based on a board game to be Oscar worthy but after reading some of the reviews I will wait to read what other movie goers have to say before going to see it.