PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19

PeterG
05-12-2012, 06:28 AM
I don't dislike Angelina. I guess I always thought of Nora as a woman with that kind of beauty that men love but is/was not threatening to women. And I also loved that Loy had a type of exotic beauty. If I was casting on looks alone my choice would be Aishwarya Rai as she reminds me of Loy. But does she have the comedic chops? I think Emma is like Meg Ryan in that both men and women love her. And she is funny. So young though...

I had to google Aishwarya Rai (https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1536&bih=742&q=Aishwarya+Rai&gbv=2&oq=Aishwarya+Rai&aq=f&aqi=g5g-z1g1g-z1g2&aql=&gs_l=img.3..0l5j0i3j0j0i3j0l2.1098.1098.0.1676.1.1 .0.0.0.0.128.128.0j1.1.0...0.0.lbCM-ITBpJE)... :lol: If Jolie is wrong for the role because of her looks, wouldn't Rai be as well? It would be interesting casting as it's time for Hollywood and Bollywood to start merging more. There are a lot of great Indian actors that so many people in the world are unaware of.

oleada
05-12-2012, 06:40 AM
From the previews and stills I've seen, "Dark Shadows" is probably a campy, selectively spooky, ridiculous film!

Ergo, I can't wait to see it, and will probably love it the way I love the campy, selectively spooky, ridiculous American Horror Story. :lol:

Michelle Pheiffer looks frigging incredible. :glamor:

I totally want to see this too. I'd never even heard of Dark Shadows before :shuffle:. "Reveal yourself, tiny songstress!" KILLS me every single time.

Buzz
05-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Another Avengers tit-bit:

There s a 2nd after credits scene where the cat nd crew are eating Shawarma. So stick around until all the credits are finished rolling. Shawarma is now in very high demand. LOL

Cachoo
05-12-2012, 06:59 PM
I had to google Aishwarya Rai (https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1536&bih=742&q=Aishwarya+Rai&gbv=2&oq=Aishwarya+Rai&aq=f&aqi=g5g-z1g1g-z1g2&aql=&gs_l=img.3..0l5j0i3j0j0i3j0l2.1098.1098.0.1676.1.1 .0.0.0.0.128.128.0j1.1.0...0.0.lbCM-ITBpJE)... :lol: If Jolie is wrong for the role because of her looks, wouldn't Rai be as well? It would be interesting casting as it's time for Hollywood and Bollywood to start merging more. There are a lot of great Indian actors that so many people in the world are unaware of.

Good point. We are back to the beginning. I know she wouldn't be hired because she would be considered too old now (though I don't think she is Depp's age) but there are times when I think Parker Posey could kill in this roll. You know you look around for funny actors and there are loads of them but actressess....not so much. I do think comedy is every bit as difficult as drama. Maybe more so......Elizabeth Banks kind of reminds me of Parker but not of Nora....

VALuvsMKwan
05-12-2012, 07:10 PM
From the previews and stills I've seen, "Dark Shadows" is probably a campy, selectively spooky, ridiculous film!

Ergo, I can't wait to see it, and will probably love it the way I love the campy, selectively spooky, ridiculous American Horror Story. :lol:

Michelle Pheiffer looks frigging incredible. :glamor:

I totally want to see this too. I'd never even heard of Dark Shadows before :shuffle:. "Reveal yourself, tiny songstress!" KILLS me every single time.

I saw it yesterday afternoon and really liked it (and I watched the original series from a time pre-Barnabas in 1966 running home after school). Quite a few liberties taken in the plot vs. the series, as is to be expected, but really a lot of fun and more serious in tone often than the TV trailers convey.

Johnny Depp is terrific, as is Michelle Pfeiffer, and Helena Bonham Carter is hilarious as Dr. Julia Hoffman (the hair color and style alone LOL). Eva Green is good, but she's no Lara Parker (the original Angelique). The cameo by Frid, Scott, Parker and Selby, BTW, is tiny but respectful indeed - a shame each couldn't have been given a couple of lines of dialogue.

Without my giving away any plot, and given the action during the film's final scenes, I think Burton passed up a great opportunity to use Laura, David's deceased mother, in a way more like her character in the original series's plotline.

immoimeme
05-12-2012, 08:14 PM
If you like "little" films about way big subjects, put "Silent Light" on yr list. It's a film that gives you the time and space you need to think, to feel, and to meditate upon one of the central character's statements: "Peace is more important than love."

immoimeme
05-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I thought that way as well, but before I saw The Dark Knight. :lol: I'm not a big fan of movies like that, so I felt that Ledger's performance really brought that movie up a level. As for Brokeback Mountain...I adored it. But I thought Ledger's performance there was a bit lesser than the one in the Dark Knight as it was a bit too understated and had a bit of a one-note feel to it. That's being uber-critical, because it was a very good performance and I'm glad he was nominated for Best Actor for that role.

Well, I have to say, the Joker had ALL the best lines, for sure. And tho Heath's performance was nothing short of stunning, I was simply put off by the whole film in general-mainly because it was so fricxking BORING.

Have to disagree about the "one-note" performance thingy of Brokeback. I cry every_single_time at the end, and I've surely watched it a billion times or more (I lurve the music too).

I wish I could find more films where Heath Ledger shines as much as he did in those 2 films. I saw "Four Feathers" (zzzz) and "a Knight's Tale" (um....okayish). "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus "--good to very good (overall). I don't remember him in "the Patriot," "Monster's Ball," or "I'm Not There" so since I'm here at the library I will see if those are "in stock." :hat1:

Grannyfan
05-12-2012, 10:33 PM
I get a channel called "Chiller" on my satellite. They are running episodes of a Dark Shadows series all day. I think it has the same characters, at least I heard a mention of Barnabas Collins, but it's not the old, Jonathan Frid series. It's dated 1991. I haven't watched any, just saw it on the channel guide and in flipping around with the remote.

PeterG
05-12-2012, 11:26 PM
If you like "little" films about way big subjects, put "Silent Light" on yr list. It's a film that gives you the time and space you need to think, to feel, and to meditate upon one of the central character's statements: "Peace is more important than love."

I just checked imdb.com and came up with this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2347497/):

The police force of a remote Midwestern town search for a killer Santa Claus who is picking off citizens on Christmas Eve.

I'm guessing this is not the one you are referring to? :lol:

skatesindreams
05-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Grannyfan, there was a short-lived TV series on NBC. (1991)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Shadows_(1991_TV_series)

Grannyfan
05-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Grannyfan, there was a short-lived TV series on NBC. (1991)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Shadows_(1991_TV_series)

Thanks. I completely missed it back then.

Buzz
05-13-2012, 11:14 PM
BREAKING NEWS! ;) Hulk smashes puny vampire! :D. The Avengers set to make $103.4m on it's 2nd weekend, which is a record, while Dark Shadows made just over $28m.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/05/13/the-avengers-poised-to-pass-1-billion-in-box-office-sales/

Beefcake
05-13-2012, 11:24 PM
I just checked imdb.com and came up with this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2347497/):

I'm guessing this is not the one you are referring to? :lol:
I'm wondering if she meant "Midnight Clear" (Christmas on WWII battlefield) or "Joyeux Noel" (Christmas on WW1 battlefield)?

Both were excellent movies ... smaller but with big messages. :respec:

galaxygirl
05-14-2012, 05:37 AM
I just finished watching The Departed. Holy sh*t was that an intense movie. It's going to take a while for the knot to leave my stomach. :eek:

Buzz
05-14-2012, 05:53 AM
The Departed is a big part of why I don't watch DeCaprio movies anymore.